The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
For myself, I'm not trying to shut down PublishAmerica. I'm trying to get them to clean up their act.

OK, I can see where getting PA to clean up would be a better alternative.

On the other hand, I wasn't imagining the hypothetical 10-making-good as righteous, just as more canny, less naive, less trusting, perhaps more worldly wise. And because of their precautions, I pictured them as having at least a tiny clue that PA might be unethical, but signing up anyway. For me, that doesn't perfectly fit with *righteous*, but perhaps I am unfairly assigning too high a level of cognizance to these hypothetical authors.

And for consequences, as someone here writes in their sig (I apologize, I don't have the name memorized yet :)) death is perhaps a bit extreme. I'd think the consequences would be something more like having their book rights go into limbo for up to the rest of their contract period, and of course having to find a new publisher.

But, as you said, PA cleaning up their act would be best.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
Galoot said:
No, actually, your cover has been insulted. Nobody here will insult the book itself. They'll never see it on bookstore shelves.

I doubt many will see you, cupcake.
twitlist0mv.gif

And that's when I stopped reading.

Good. Now please don't start again.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Things we will no longer discuss:

- Plates.
- The expertise of Gena's lawyer.
- Gena's book cover.

Things we will not do:

- Shout at each other in giant letters. I do NOT want to see that again.

- Victoria

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Have to disagree with you on that, James.

Just like we can't say what we want everywhere and any time, there are some businesses where it's proper, if not necessary, to write when something is wrong. Educational institutions and the media are two such instances where it is most assuredly proper to let them know that someone is passing out bad information, especially when it's harming others. It's the same principle as yelling fire in a crowded theater because it will harm others unless it's true. Then it's permissible.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
victoriastrauss said:
Folks, I don't want to ban Gena, especially since I can see she's trying to change the tone of her responses. The situation has reversed a bit now, and she's being jumped on a bit more than I think she deserves at this point. I think we should all try to ramp it down. For instance, the plates issue has been done to death. If you're catching up with this thread, wait till you get to the end before firing off a post in response to Gena. Odds are your point has already been made.

- Victoria

I think this bares repeating.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
victoriastrauss said:
Things we will not do:

- Victoria

Okay, next time I'll tell her that her reading skills are way below par. The idea was to get the correct meaning across to her since she kept interpreting what was stated in the wrong manner.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
writerjenn said:
Wow, if I had any intentions of checking your site out before, I certainly won't now. And yeah, I'll remember that name. I'll remember not to purchase anything from someone who blows in like gangbusters and starts insulting everyone in sight.

Jenn

I posted on the thread with the most reads and views so that I would get attention to my site. And also because this thread deals directly with my publisher.

That's not insulting and it doesn't matter if anyone in here buys my books. My name will come up everytime this thread is rehashed as it will for months and months on end.

Sorry but that's how I work the system.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:
I'm not a troll. I'm an author who came to an author site with an unpopular opinion.
No. All this friction doesn't come from your opinion. It comes from your attitude. Insulting people repeatedly is a bad thing even if you apologize for it once in a while.

I agree that you're not a troll. A troll goes to a discussion board just to stir up trouble. I don't think you came here with that purpose. I do think, however, that some of your behavior is Not Very Nice. That includes LOLing about supposedly having put one over on people by getting them to visit your website (which I didn't do), all the defensiveness, that sort of thing.

Some of us have presented facts about how book publishers operate. Maybe you'll learn something here, maybe not.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
I don't know how you did it Gena but you did manage to come over here and get a full day of attention so maybe your smarter then we gave you credit for. As for me, I managed to waste a full day! Night all!

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Okay, next time I'll tell her that her reading skills are way below par. The idea was to get the correct meaning across to her since she kept interpreting what was stated in the wrong manner.

You are NOT the only person who made mention of my lawyer and how reputable she was. To assume I didn't understand when you weren't seeing what else was said was unfair.

So I guess I'm not the only one with subpar reading skills around here.

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
victoriastrauss said:
Things we will not do:

- Victoria

Amen...I nearly fell off the bed when I hit that post. On my large screen, that just about blinded me.:)

ZaZ

Banned
Reaction score
Website
thebobshow.buzznet.com
gena140 said:
I posted on the thread with the most reads and views so that I would get attention to my site. And also because this thread deals directly with my publisher.

That's not insulting and it doesn't matter if anyone in here buys my books. My name will come up everytime this thread is rehashed as it will for months and months on end.

I'd like a 57 page report on sales numbers tracking the exact number of sales you get from spider hits of your book in this thread.

I mean, hey, maybe we should all be marketing ourselves to death here. Seeing as the publisher in question sure isn't going to.

Hey, Resourcing Humans, why not just bombard everyone here, Resourcing Humans, with ridiculous and repetitous banter, Resourcing Humans. Let's get downright subliminal on the mutha*hoo-HAW* uckers. But what's the point? Sure, you get someone to buy, let's say a miracle occurs. You're still only getting a buck and some change. It's pointless. It isn't worth the time you've spent typing here today.

Honestly, if your "working the system" is placing odd psuedo-ads for your book on this message board, well, please, I really do want to see that report. Or wait, I could just call Ingrams. "Number on hand...uhhhh...one, maybe if we hurry up and get it to the printer. Number sold this year...uhhh, yeah, that's a good one.

Screw this banter, I'm goin' to the bar.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
gena140 said:

Hate to tell you this, but you're going about it wrong.

First off, select the User CP option on the above menu. Then select the Signature option. Put a picture, A SMALL PICTURE, of your cover there. Then put your name and maybe a brief blurb about your book there. Then post. That way you'll get your book noticed.

Second, don't get into so many conflicts with others. No one will see your posts if you get banned because then those that remain will be buried well beyond what most people are willing to dig through. Only a very few people have actually read this entire topic.

Third, never tell others that you're gaming them. They'll disrespect you then and you'll deserve it.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
reph said:
No. All this friction doesn't come from your opinion. It comes from your attitude. Insulting people repeatedly is a bad thing even if you apologize for it once in a while.

I agree that you're not a troll. A troll goes to a discussion board just to stir up trouble. I don't think you came here with that purpose. I do think, however, that some of your behavior is Not Very Nice. That includes LOLing about supposedly having put one over on people by getting them to visit your website (which I didn't do), all the defensiveness, that sort of thing.

Some of us have presented facts about how book publishers operate. Maybe you'll learn something here, maybe not.

I don't care for you attitude either but I realize that everyone is not going to be my cup of tea.

I LOL because it's a joke. Obviously something that is not taken well around here.

However I'm sure my reception was due to my opinion because I've posted in other thread since I got here, but I didn't get this type of welcome.

I've read your facts and did not dispute any of them. However mine are what have been disputed so I'll just take it that everyone here is smarter and wiser, and nicer than me.

So what.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
gena140 said:
You are NOT the only person who made mention of my lawyer and how reputable she was.

It's been stated that your lawyer is likely the wrong kind for reviewing a publishing contract, not that your lawyer is disreputable and I defy you to point to where I stated your lawyer was disreputable. Go back and read for yourself what I've stated.

Besides, when has anyone really insisted that lawyers are reputable? They're all believed to be sharks. ;)

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Hate to tell you this, but you're going about it wrong.

First off, select the User CP option on the above menu. Then select the Signature option. Put a picture, A SMALL PICTURE, of your cover there. Then put your name and maybe a brief blurb about your book there. Then post. That way you'll get your book noticed.

Second, don't get into so many conflicts with others. No one will see your posts if you get banned because then those that remain will be buried well beyond what most people are willing to dig through. Only a very few people have actually read this entire topic.

Third, never tell others that you're gaming them. They'll disrespect you then and you'll deserve it.

Both of the moderators have stated they had no reason to ban me. So obviously wishing doesn't make it so.

I read the rules before I joined and I know better than to get banned on my first day.

Arrogant and flippant is who I am. I didn't get into but ONE conflict. A conflict about PA. I've posted on other thread with no conflict at all.

The hatred was there so you took it as gaming you but honestly other authors are not my market.

However the reader who sees my site has alot of hits from writers who won't read my book anyway cus they don't like my attitude, will be impressed by the numbers and possibly by my book.

I have banners made up for message boards. I'm fully aware of "how" to do it.

This is the largest thread here. And just like I sat here and read it over the past week before I joined and said a word...so do alot of other people.

Those people will click on my site, and may even buy my book because they don't have a horse in this race, and don't have a problem with my attitude but most LURKERS gravitate towards the largest thread.

How do you think I ended up here FIRST?

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
victoriastrauss said:
Folks, I don't want to ban Gena, especially since I can see she's trying to change the tone of her responses. The situation has reversed a bit now, and she's being jumped on a bit more than I think she deserves at this point. I think we should all try to ramp it down.

I agree.

victoriastrauss said:
If you're catching up with this thread, wait till you get to the end before firing off a post in response to Gena. Odds are your point has already been made.

Yes! Absolutely.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
I'm going to say one more thing before I leave. We have allowed Gena to upset all of us and spend all day trying to answer questions that weren't being heard because she already has an opinion and has made it clear that her opinion is not going to change. I see people getting upset with each other that have been posting together for along time. I don't care if Gena comes over and has her own opinion but I do care that we have allowed her to cause each of us to treat each other with disgust and threats. We have allowed her to accomplish her mission so we should move on as has been suggested many times today.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
DaveKuzminski said:
It's been stated that your lawyer is likely the wrong kind for reviewing a publishing contract, not that your lawyer is disreputable and I defy you to point to where I stated your lawyer was disreputable. Go back and read for yourself what I've stated.

Besides, when has anyone really insisted that lawyers are reputable? They're all believed to be sharks. ;)

As requested by the moderators I'm not gonna further discuss my lawyer or how reputable she is.

But for the record I didn't say YOU SAID THAT. I said you were not the only person to mention her. AND then discuss how reputable she was.

Several people were making comments about my lawyer...not just you.

So my point is your screaming at me to prove your point was wasted because I understood you, and wasn't talking about you. You assumed I was because of what you'd said.

Victoria mentioned my lawyer, and explained her position without huge letters.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:
I will ask my lawyer for her permission to post her name and law firms name on this site.

Then you can tell her she's a liar and not a contract lawyer.
Gena, this is getting exasperating. Jaws didn't say your lawyer wasn't a contract lawyer. He didn't say she was a liar. Your sarcastic reply was not justified. Please read more carefully. The point of his post was that an author who wants a publishing contract reviewed needs to go to a lawyer who specializes in publishing.

A little up the page, you said you'd already posted that you knew the plates an author supposedly gets after seven years aren't real. Well, I've read all your posts in this thread, and I sure missed that one. What do you think you'll get after seven years? Imaginary plates?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
WhisperingBard said:
I'm going bowling till this all blows over. Anyone want to join me?
I will. Gotta warn ya, though, it's been years.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
T42 said:
I'm going to say one more thing before I leave. We have allowed Gena to upset all of us and spend all day trying to answer questions that weren't being heard because she already has an opinion and has made it clear that her opinion is not going to change. I see people getting upset with each other that have been posting together for along time. I don't care if Gena comes over and has her own opinion but I do care that we have allowed her to cause each of us to treat each other with disgust and threats. We have allowed her to accomplish her mission so we should move on as has been suggested many times today.

How did I make anyone treat each other badly. I refuse to be blamed for what anyone did to anyone else.

If people are upset with each other, how can that be my fault for having an opinion?

I have no mission except that I will continue to post my experience with PA...good or bad...whether you like it or not.

Take your own advise and ignore me.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
reph said:
Gena, this is getting exasperating. Jaws didn't say your lawyer wasn't a contract lawyer. He didn't say she was a liar. Your sarcastic reply was not justified. Please read more carefully. The point of his post was that an author who wants a publishing contract reviewed needs to go to a lawyer who specializes in publishing.

A little up the page, you said you'd already posted that you knew the plates an author supposedly gets after seven years aren't real. Well, I've read all your posts in this thread, and I sure missed that one. What do you think you'll get after seven years? Imaginary plates?

The moderators have asked that the plates and my lawyer not be discussed further.

So obviously you missed that too.

Victoria...Jenna...I am behaving and asking that other be made to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.