Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
The amount of work needed to bring this to industry quality standards is:

____ not much
____ some
____ a lot

Wow. I love the fact that 'none, it's good to go' isn't even considered worthy of a space on the form.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Wow, it didn't take much to light her fuze and make her explode. We watchdog services must really be cutting into their scam earnings. I guess she didn't get that new iBox or whatever she wanted for Christmas. Uh, but don't you have to be good to get those kinds of presents? ;)

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Children's Literary Agency

Dear Authors

Once and for all, agents, successful or not, DO NOT have the time or inclination to do edits, critiques, or anything other than reading, answering queries and pitching to publishers. If they are recommending a service, they probably own it or are getting kickbacks from that service.

I have a big sign in my office that reads: THE BOOK STOPS HERE. If a book isn't close to perfect and doesn't have me jumping out of my skin, it goes back to the author with a kind rejection.

Even excellent books are terribly hard to sell, even when an agent is on a first-name basis with the biggest p-co editors. Top name editors will request a book (during a cold call), read every word of the manuscript, send a personal letter with fine praise, and reject it. Sometimes I think a simple form letter would hurt less than the "almost made it" letter.

In defence to the editors, their performance is evaluated yearly, and the number of books they are allowed to accept is based on their success during the previous year. They get really gun-shy after a bad year.

I have dealt with acting, modeling, songwriting, and find that publishing is harder to break into than any of those noble professions.

Last edited:

wen

children's lit agency

I want to get out of my contract with the children's literary agency. I stupidly signed without realizing that they are just after my $. Help.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Wen, just send them a letter saying "You no longer represent me," and forget that they ever existed.

They didn't intend to try to sell your book before, they certainly won't try to sell it afterward, but it will remove all doubt if/when your book sells about whether they're entitled to 15% of your book's income.

As a point of curiosity, have you paid any money to them or one of their "sister" companies?

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
lindafox said:
Q) Who are some of the authors you represent? Why aren't they on your website?
A) We are proud to represent a very diverse group of authors. Our roster of
authors includes authors with the following occupations:

* Doctors
* Lawyers
* Entrepreneurs
* Journalists
* Professors and teachers from universities, high-schools, and elementary
schools
* Coaches
* Accountants and bankers
* Advertising Executives
* Stay at home moms... students, etc.

Where have I heard that line before?

lindafox said:
Here are just a few bios:

1. The author was born in Baltimore, Maryland and is a Professor at a major
university.

Baltimore, Maryland? Sheesh.

Canada James

Sherry Fine

Registered
Reaction score
When a work doesn't sell.. what happens?

Dear Author:

We are keenly aware of the negative material on a lot of writer's message boards and I thought I would take a minute and give you more background than what you are getting (which as best I can tell is stuff regurgitated from years ago).

I know it is confusing to authors and I thank you for 'first seeking to understand".

I hope that you will view the professionalism of this reply, where we try to present both sides of the situation, and contrast that against the furor that will arise after this post. Hey, maybe the message board people will agree to be your Agent!

It is a fact that most authors (98%) can't get the time of day from an Agent. Why? Because invariably their work needs improvement and if an Agent takes the time to say, "I like the idea, but you need a little help" the Agent is blackballed by every writers blog on the net.

Some writers say, "it's the agency's responsibility to help the writer".. Maybe in the old days, but not anymore. An Agent's core competency is selling work and finding buyers, not editing. Do you really think that an Agent should contribute their valuable selling time to assisting a writer with editing/grammar/ and other mechanics? Some writers do, but not those that understand the power and clarity of focus on core competency in business. Most agencies go out of business in a few years, not us. Why, because we concentrate on selling, and let the editors and writers do what they do best, writing, improving, writing, improving, etc.

Furthermore, when a work doesn't sell, what typically happens is that the author adopts one of 3 postures, 1) you suck, you scammer you, 2) I'll improve, or 3) maybe I'll quit. Most of the material on the boards is from attitude 1.

At it's core, that's the real issue. Always has been. So, there's a situation where potentially great work is 'waiting in the wings' so to speak, and can't get access to the market. And, if the Agent offers to help, to coach, and to mentor, well, you see the boards reply.

What Do Buyers Think? That's what really matters.
==========================================
Buyers (publishers) love our model. Why? because they know that we've forced the writer to jump through a series of hoops to prove their mettle. And the writers whine, whine, whine, and the publishers say, "whew, thanks for bringing us great work and for filtering out the crackpots."

Where do you think the crackpots cluster? Right on the message boards because a successful writer is improving their craft, making submissions, and researching and writing.

I use the word 'cluster' in the marketing segmentation definition. Look on most of those message boards, and you will see advertising, newsletters, and other capitalistic products and services based on traffic generated by controversy. So now you understand that the point of the boards is to generate traffic and advertising revenues based on their niche in the market.

Anyway, that said, it actually does us a favor and we've come to thank these boards. They weed out two main categories of authors that we are actually glad to be rid of: 1) nervous authors that don't understand the nitty gritty of hard business and who can't make up their mind and who rely on others for their opinions, 2) the SFN's (writers that want Something for Nothing) who want it all, basically for free...

I place 4 bullets under my signature. That's our promise. It's simple and it's understandable, and I really do think you'd be hard pressed to find one of our clients that won't, even grudgingly admit that we've delivered.

Our Pledge To You:
==================
* We respect what you have accomplished thus far as a writer.
* We believe that great authors are made, not born. We are willing to develop talent.
* We pledge straight talk in a confusing and old-school industry.
* We can't promise a sale. We can promise a professional relationship.

So, in conclusion, this is what I would do, if I were in your shoes, "I'd proceed with us, eyes wide open, and see if we meet or exceed our four business tenets, A) Respect, B) Building Talent, 3) Straight Talk, and a 4) Professional Relationship.

Of course, if you'd rather us terminate our relationship now, no problem, fortunately for me, and unfortunately for you, there's 10 more to take your place, and you can go back to querying agents for the rest of your life, or you can just see what happens and see if maybe, just maybe, we are what we say we are.

Best to you whatever your decision.

Sherry Fine - VP Acquisitions

Just for grins, and so that you know we provide a service of value to aspiring authors, I would like you to see some of the unprompted quotes that we receive on a daily basis.

Our clients say it best. The quotes below are unedited and as you can see, quite from the heart. (We have lots more of these.) If you are really cynical, you will probably believe we made them up, but I promise you, we can prove every one of them.

=======================

"Just a note to say, whatever the outcome of my submission, it's refreshing to engage an agent who will a) take an email submission, b) turn it round as quick you've committed to do and c) actively work with a writer. Submissions are daunting enough anyway without having to wait ten weeks for an impersonalised slip of paper. Here's to you."

"It is refreshing to get an honest professional opinion of my work, it make me realise just how much I don't know about the written word and its presentation."

Dear Georgina, I'd like you to know how highly and gratefully I regard the clarity with which you explain the process as well as your reliability. I have complete trust in both your abilities and ethical standards. Best wishes, Judith

It's been a long time since I left school with considerable number of years passing before I became interested in writing again. I would like you to thank you for working with me and let it be known that I look at this as a new beginning and rebirth of my education.

You don't know how nice it is to have such timely responses. I am sure I am not the only writer that puts a lot of heart into their work and I have to say, I have "kept mine tucked away in the closet" for many, many years. I just enjoy writing, but didn't know if I would ever try and submit it to anyone. Making the decision to do that has been somewhat of a nerve-wracking process. Your timely responses and professional, yet "down-to-earth" responses are making the process a lot easier. At this time, I am not submitting my work to anyone else, because you have impressed me the most up to this point. Even if we do not end up working together, I felt it was important to pass this along to you.

Dear Georgina: Your professional zeal and resourcefulness cannot be overemphasized seeing the volatile-oceanic-wave called the American Hollywood with its impregnable sales frontiers.I hold you dearly to my heart in my every prayers towards our mutual success now and...very soon in sbsequent works.I doff my heart after your every professional spirit imagining the energy, sweat and travellings involved. Thanks for everything you stand for professionally.

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I found your critique of my work very informative, and it concluded many things that I already knew. I really do need to improve on my punctuation skills, and that has been something I have struggled with for some time. I appreciate your suggestions on materials to improve this, and I plan on taking an advanced grammar and puctuation class at the college I am attending. Several other points you made were also very informative. I know I have a long way to go before I am a "professional" writer, but I am glad that you agreed that the potential is definitely there. I'd also like to thank you and your company for staying in contact with me through this process. I would, and will, come back to your company if I need further material critiqued. Thank you again for your time.

I just want to say I have been rejected for years by Agents and Publishers. After awhile it all seems pointless. But I am in this for the long run and will never give up and never give in. Whether you accept me or not you have restored my faith and hope that someone out there is concerned and listening to what writings go through. I look forward to learning all that I can from you and your associates.

"After having reread all the information sent to me, I must say that I am impressed by the way your agency has handled the science, or art of appreciating new sources of writing. If only all agencies displayed your model the world may be a better place. Your FAQ has answered all of my questions and i am eager to get to work."

===========================

WE ARE CREATING THE MOST POWERFUL AGENCY GROUP IN THE UNITED STATES. Every author that we represent has been fully edited and we know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that their work is good enough for publication. Unfortunately, the ones that 'wash out', tend to grouse and *****. If you can make it through our process, then you will be in an elite group that buyers respect. We never promise a sale, but we can promise that if we present your work, it will get respect from our buyers.

Best to you in your career.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
We are keenly aware of the negative material on a lot of writer's message boards
Beware publishing "professionals" that make basic grammatical and punctuation errors!

Also, "agent" shouldn't be capitalized through this post, but the errors are too numerous to point out.

It is a fact that most authors (98%) can't get the time of day from an Agent. Why?
Because 98% of the material written isn't publishable, or the agent doesn't work in same field as your writing, or the agent is not accepting new clients. If your work is publishable, you can get an agent that won't scam you.

Do you really think that an Agent should contribute their valuable selling time
No, I think an agent is singular, and so his (or her) pronoun should also be singular.

Most agencies go out of business in a few years, not us.
If you relied on sales to publishers for your income, you would be out of business.

Why, because we concentrate on selling, and let the editors and writers do what they do best, writing, improving, writing, improving, etc.
That's great! What have you sold?

Furthermore, when a work doesn't sell, what typically happens is that the author adopts one of 3 postures, 1) you suck, you scammer you, 2) I'll improve, or 3) maybe I'll quit. Most of the material on the boards is from attitude 1.
There's a reason for that, scammer.

And, if the Agent offers to help, to coach, and to mentor, well, you see the boards reply.
That should be "board's". Also, if a writer needs work, you should follow standard business ethics and refer him to an editor whose bank account is different from your own.

What Do Buyers Think? That's what really matters.
==========================================
Buyers (publishers) love our model.
Really? Which ones? To whom have you sold anything?

because a successful writer is improving their craft,
Pronoun consistency issue again, Sherry. Did you skip the day they taught that in junior high school?

So now you understand that the point of the boards is to generate traffic and advertising revenues based on their niche in the market.
Now you're just being stupid and hoping nobody notices. Ad income is the web host's goal. Helping writers is the board's goal.

Our clients say it best. The quotes below are unedited and as you can see, quite from the heart. (We have lots more of these.) If you are really cynical, you will probably believe we made them up, but I promise you, we can prove every one of them.
Oh, I fully believe that those quote are real. It's quite evident by the total lack of any writer saying "Thanks for selling my work. I made a ton of money through your agency." Strangely, none of them is addressed to you, either.

WE ARE CREATING THE MOST POWERFUL AGENCY GROUP IN THE UNITED STATES. ...Every author that we represent has been fully edited and we know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that their work is good enough for publication.
First, those statements form a non sequitur. Secondly, by "most powerful", you mean what, exactly? No sales to publishers. No income from sales. Your only income is from writer fees. What is it that makes you so "powerful"? Finally, on this topic, if that work is good enough for publication, and you still can't sell ANY OF IT, your agency must be the worst literary agency ever run.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Gee, you guys aren't leaving me much to do. (Not to worry, I'll deal with "Sherry" anyway.)

Before I comment on that astounding post, though, let me give a little perspective on why "Sherry" may have showed up just now.

An author at PublishAmerica commented that he was considering paying The Screenplay Agency (one of the names Robert Fletcher is doing business under). This was picked up in the NEPAT Overflow topic here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15336&page=117&pp=25

and

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15336&page=118&pp=25

(Comments from "xhouseboy" and me, respectively.)

I went to the main Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (NEPAT), and made a request here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=467304&postcount=29830

I asked that someone with access to the PublishAmerica Message Board (PAMB) let the author who was thinking of using The Screenplay Agency know that Fletcher's outfit was a scam.

Soon enough, it happened, both on the PAMB and (I presume) on another board where PA authors hang out.

I'm guessing that "Sherry" got a bunch of emails this afternoon telling her to forget about it, that they weren't going to pay for that critique, or treatment, or edit, or whatever they're asking for this week.

She's here to do damage control. Why here? Because the first place you come to when you Google "The Screenplay Agency" or "Stylus Literary Agency" is right here. Any of those PublishAmerica authors who Googled got an eyeful.

I see "Sherry" posted the identical screed four times.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=467714#post467714
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=467713#post467713
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=467710#post467710
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=467707#post467707

Good for you, "Sherry," very industrious.

I'll only reply in one place, but I'll put this note in all four so folks can collect the whole set. Lots of people have already replied, identifying Sherry's major fibs, distortions, and omissions.

Last edited:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
precision

Since the trolls and shills have been moving from one thread on Bobby Fletcher's companies to another, I may as well post this now:

For anyone coming in late, the Childrens Literary Agency is one of a group of agencies run by Robert (Bobby) Fletcher, who was convicted of fraud*. They are:

Stylus Literary Agency (formerly Sydra Techniques, formerly ST Literary Agency)
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529

New York Literary Agency
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729

The Children’s Literary Agency
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8312
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8286

The Christian Literary Agency
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13514

The Poets Literary Agency
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19104

The Screenplay Agency
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20359

The front/mask/umbrella group is The Literary Agency Group, Inc.
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13517

*http://www.dfi.wa.gov/sd/orders/SDO-063-01.pdf
http://www.dfi.wa.gov/sd/orders/SDO-021-01.pdf

Last edited:

MartyKay

Sockpuppet Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
martykay.blogspot.com
LloydBrown said:

Do you really think that an Agent should contribute their valuable selling time
No, I think an agent is singular, and so his (or her) pronoun should also be singular.

Their is being used here as a gender neutral pronoun (like "his" or "her"), and this is not necessarily a mistake (although you may not agree with the validity of the use of "their").

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
I was almost taken in by the Children's Literary Agency. I'll admit to doing the "Snoopy Dance of Joy" when they said my submission had potential, but I did get worried when they wanted me to pay to have my work critiqued. Basically, I'm broke and when I do have money, I'm cheap, so I was reluctant to give my hard earned money to someone just to have them tell my how horrible my story really was. I AM, however fortunate enough to have a friend who is starting a freelance editing/critiquing business, and I contacted her. Hey, if I'm going to spend money, I want it to go to friends. My friend was very happy for me and offered to look at my work for free. I forwarded her the letter form the Children's Literary Agency, and she in turn directed me here. *sigh* It was an eye opener and a heart breaker for sure.

Being a fairly open and honest person, I tend to expect that behavior from others as well. I'm not going to give up on becoming a published author, but I'm certainly staying clear of the Childrens Literary agency!

One thing I am concerned about is that I sent them several chapters of my book. Should I worry about them "stealing from me?" No, I'm not implying that it's so good that it's worth stealing, but you know what I mean.

Last edited:

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing they were interested in stealing was your cash.

Did you send a s.a.e. with the MS? If so, drop them a polite line declining their services and ask for the material back. If not, include a s.a.e. with the enquiry, enough to cover the MS.

Besides, who would they hand it over to? They have no clients worth speaking about, only those they've conned into paying to have their work critiqued and then perhaps recommended to another scam-operation like Publish America.

P.S. just noticed that was your first post. You've come to the right place to get the info on those sharks, and there's a lot of people here with more knowledge than me on their despicable tactics. Welcome.

Last edited:

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
I emailed it a portion of it :(

I'm just in freak fest mode right now *sigh* I've gone from this incredible HIGH thinking somebody actually liked my book to the lowest of the low when I found out it was a scam.

Thank GOD for Smart Food and Pepsi to help revive my broken spirit lol

Last edited:

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
You needn't worry about them stealing it. Really, don't give it a thought. The only reason to steal someone's work is to try to sell it and Bobby's Band of Brash Bunco Bassets have no clue how to do that.

Congrats on not parting with any money and good luck placing your work with a bona fide agent/publisher.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
majiklmoon said:
I'm just in freak fest mode right now *sigh* I've gone from this incredible HIGH thinking somebody actually liked my book to the lowest of the low when I found out it was a scam.

I wouldn't use that as any sort of bench-mark. Your work could be a masterpiece, and they'd still try to play the scam rather than genuinely represent you. They're not a literary agency - they're con-artists. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep plugging away, and believing.

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
well, I got my follow up letter talking about all the evil on message boards. It was a total carbon copy of other letters I've seen posted here. I'll say one thing for these people, their nothing, if not consistant lol

Rosie

England

victoriastrauss said:
I just got documentation on Children's Literary Agency (its website is here). Its scheme is getting clients to pay for editing and illustrations (any savvy children's book author knows that unless the book is a collaboration or the author is the illustrator, publishers provide their own illustrators and do NOT want to see illustrations with submissions) in order to make submissions "creative, compelling, and catchy" so that potential buyers will "differentiate our submittals from those of other agencies". They will, all right--and not in a good way.

For those who've had a brush with ST Literary Agency (which by the way has been advertising on its site for children's book authors), the term "submittal" will have a certain...resonance.

- Victoria

They are trying to ensare people on this side of the pond, thanks to you I have just torn up my 'contract'.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Rosie said:
They are trying to ensare people on this side of the pond, thanks to you I have just torn up my 'contract'.
w00t, snagged another from their clutches! Now tell two friends so they can tell two friends, so....

3.gif

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
w00t, snagged another from their clutches! Now tell two friends so they can tell two friends, so....
Sounds like we're making a dent in their business. We should be hearing from another sock puppet soon.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Roger J Carlson said:
Sound like we're making a dent in their business. We should be hearing from another sock puppet soon.
My cat's breath smells like sockpuppets. :D

Sherry Fine

Registered
Reaction score
From Children's Literary Agency

I'm giving you two answers to your question about what you've read. The first answer is the short one, and the second is the long one. I apologize in advance for any 'attitude' that you read in my reply, but it's a gut/core issue for us and we feel pretty strongly about certain things.

The short answer ....
We told the self-proclaimed industry watchdogs to shove it.
We've drawn the battle lines and we've said that unpublished
writers have very little chance of success unless they think differently.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We told the so-called watchdogs that they are hurting authors by maintaining 'old school' ideas. We explained that the agency business is so competitive now, that we can only focus on one thing, selling the work. The author has to take responsibility for bringing their work to industry standards. In short, we told the industry watchdogs that they don't get it, and they are promulgating old ideas that no longer apply. It didn't go over very well and they chatter incessantly, but if you think a writer has thick skin, you should try being an agent.

We've been in business now long enough to know that our model works, and that buyers respect the fact that EVERY AUTHOR WE REPRESENT HAS BEEN THROUGH A RIGOROUS CRITIQUE AND EDITING PROCESS. What you read on the boards is just authors whining about having to do more work, which they want us to do for free. Think about it for just a minute. If you were buying an unpublished author's work, wouldn't you want to buy work that had been through the proverbial wringer? And wouldn't you want to buy work that could get to market faster, because the grunt work, the editing, had already been done.

In the end, the truth of the matter is that you really want an agency that is willing to break a few rules on your behalf. The 'old school' doesn't want you to get in, and that's the truth. We have 4 sales, most agencies only have 1 or two. We will double that this year we think and you really need to consider whether some 'anonymous' board poster really has your best interest at heart or if you should give us a try, eyes wide open, and see if we don't keep our promises which are * We respect what you have accomplished thus far as a writer, * We believe that great authors are made, not born. We are willing to
develop talent. * We pledge straight talk in a confusing and old-school industry. * We can't promise a sale. We can promise a professional relationship.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's one author's reply to this email. We hope you are this discerning. "Thank you for the trouble you took to explain what's on those boards. I think I understand your frustration with the critics and nay sayers now. I have reviewed again the on-line comments and sources and agree that there is really nothing substantive in either their remarks or criticisms. In fact most of them whine about nearly everyone".
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the long answer:
----------------------------------------
We are keenly aware of the negative material on a lot of writer's message boards. I thank you for 'seeking first to understand". Once again, sorry for the length of this email, but there's a lot to try to communicate to you.

I know it is confusing to authors. Luckily most authors can detect that there's something very negatively one sided about most boards, and a good author will ask for more information.

I think you would agree that it's tough to even get a reply from an Agency. Most authors (98%) can't get the time of day from an Agent. Why? Because invariably the author's work needs improvement and if an Agent takes the time to say, "I like the idea, but you need a little help" the Agent is blackballed by every writers blog on the net. So, it's easier to say no, or not reply, than to actually try to help a writer with a good idea and a good start.

Successful writers of books and screenplays use editors and coaches, always have, always will.. if you've never worked with an editor, you should. I would say that 95+% of the books on the shelves today have had an editors touch, either through the publishing company or as directed by an agent. There are two levels of editing. The first is our internal level. The second is the publisher level. When you pass our first level, it means that we will put our reputation on the line for you, however, it doesn't mean that it has been exhaustively edited, like a publisher would do. Their edit is MUCH more extensive. Our edit requirements are related to pitching and selling only.

THIS IS THE REAL ISSUE: If an agent assists the writer by telling them to get editing and then the agent will represent them, they get blackballed. So, here's a situation where potentially great work is 'waiting in the wings' so to speak, and can't get access to the market because Agents are overwhelmed and gunshy.

Luckily (for those authors that can see through the bs), we've decided that the old model is dead and we want new fresh talent. We want authors that want to improve and have their chance. And, our management team is a group of business warriors that basically say, "screw the naysayers because buyers love our model".

Why do buyers (publishers and producers) love our model? Because they know that we've forced the writer to jump through a series of hoops to prove their mettle. And the writers whine, whine, whine, and the publishers say, "whew, thanks for bringing us great work and for filtering out the crackpot writers that want the world and don't have an understanding of how competitive the market is." BUYERS WANT WRITERS THAT HAVE INVESTED IN THEMSELVES AND THEIR WRITING.

But why all the negative press you might ask? In short, the message boards attract unsuccessful writers. It's quite a statistical anomoly isn't it. A successful writer isn't sitting around responding to message boards, a successful writer is improving their craft, making submissions, and writing. As I'm sure you've seen the pettiness on the boards.. That pettiness is, to me, worse than a National Enquirer that you read in the grocery line, and frankly, I think the message boards attract the same caliber of people. Also, just for the fun of it, you should ask the people that work the boards to be your agent, and see how many writers run to help you.

LET ME STATE THIS AGAIN.. ASK THE PEOPLE ON THE MESSAGE BOARDS, BECAUSE THEY ARE SO SMART, WHAT THEY'VE SOLD, AND WHO THEIR AGENT WAS... And whether they'd be your agent. <I'm sorry to be a bit cynical here, but I'm sure you can see why? Nobody on those boards is going to work for you.. they aren't going to coach you, prep you, and try to sell your work.>

That said, we've come to thank these boards. The boards weed out three main categories of writers that we are actually glad to be rid of: 1) Authors that don't have a clue, 2) Authors that can't make up their mind for themselves and don't have any "grit", and 3) the SFN's (writers that want Something for Nothing). I hope that you aren't in any of those three categories. The Something For Nothing authors really get my goat, but that's another rant. Those are the authors that think we'll bear all their expenses because they've 'written the next bestseller'... egads...

Reread the 4 bullets under my signature. That's our promise. It's simple and it's understandable, and we deliver on it all day, every day. (Like this email really).

So, in conclusion, this is what I would do, if I were in your shoes, I'd proceed with us, eyes wide open, and see if we meet or exceed our four business tenets below, A) Respect, B) Building Talent, 3) Straight Talk, and a 4) Professional Relationship.

Just for grins, and so that you know we provide a service of value to aspiring authors, I would like you to see some of the unprompted quotes that we receive on a daily basis. Our clients say it best. The quotes below are unedited and as you can see, quite from the heart. (We have lots more of these.) If you are really cynical, you will probably believe we made them up, but I promise you, we can prove every one of them.

=======================

"Just a note to say, whatever the outcome of my submission, it's refreshing to engage an agent who will a) take an email submission, b) turn it round as quick you've committed to do and c) actively work with a writer. Submissions are daunting enough anyway without having to wait ten weeks for an impersonalised slip of paper. Here's to you."

"It is refreshing to get an honest professional opinion of my work, it make me realise just how much I don't know about the written word and its presentation."

Dear Georgina, I'd like you to know how highly and gratefully I regard the clarity with which you explain the process as well as your reliability. I have complete trust in both your abilities and ethical standards. Best wishes, Judith

It's been a long time since I left school with considerable number of years passing before I became interested in writing again. I would like you to thank you for working with me and let it be known that I look at this as a new beginning and rebirth of my education.

You don't know how nice it is to have such timely responses. I am sure I am not the only writer that puts a lot of heart into their work and I have to say, I have "kept mine tucked away in the closet" for many, many years. I just enjoy writing, but didn't know if I would ever try and submit it to anyone. Making the decision to do that has been somewhat of a nerve-wracking process. Your timely responses and professional, yet "down-to-earth" responses are making the process a lot easier. At this time, I am not submitting my work to anyone else, because you have impressed me the most up to this point. Even if we do not end up working together, I felt it was important to pass this along to you.

Dear Georgina: Your professional zeal and resourcefulness cannot be overemphasized seeing the volatile-oceanic-wave called the American Hollywood with its impregnable sales frontiers.I hold you dearly to my heart in my every prayers towards our mutual success now and...very soon in sbsequent works.I doff my heart after your every professional spirit imagining the energy, sweat and travellings involved. Thanks for everything you stand for professionally.

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I found your critique of my work very informative, and it concluded many things that I already knew. I really do need to improve on my punctuation skills, and that has been something I have struggled with for some time. I appreciate your suggestions on materials to improve this, and I plan on taking an advanced grammar and puctuation class at the college I am attending. Several other points you made were also very informative. I know I have a long way to go before I am a "professional" writer, but I am glad that you agreed that the potential is definitely there. I'd also like to thank you and your company for staying in contact with me through this process. I would, and will, come back to your company if I need further material critiqued. Thank you again for your time.

I just want to say I have been rejected for years by Agents and Publishers. After awhile it all seems pointless. But I am in this for the long run and will never give up and never give in. Whether you accept me or not you have restored my faith and hope that someone out there is concerned and listening to what writings go through. I look forward to learning all that I can from you and your associates.

"After having reread all the information sent to me, I must say that I am impressed by the way your agency has handled the science, or art of appreciating new sources of writing. If only all agencies displayed your model the world may be a better place. Your FAQ has answered all of my questions and i am eager to get to work."

===========================

WE ARE CREATING THE MOST POWERFUL AGENCY GROUP IN THE UNITED STATES. Every author that we represent has been fully edited and we know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that their work is good enough for publication. Unfortunately, the ones that 'wash out', tend to grouse and *****. If you can make it through our process, then you will be in an elite group that buyers respect. We never promise a sale, but we can promise that if we present your work, it will get respect from our buyers.

Best to you in your career whatever your decision. I hope you give us a chance to prove ourselves. What's your real risk anyway?