Can I get a kick in the butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
I was on a roll, writing daily, 60k+ words into my first draft, before figuring out what my novel was really about.scrapped alot of it ( i guess it was more of a writing warm up so all is not lost. i guess.) I created a beat sheet and started over. well a few thousand words in and i ended up (on 6/21) hospitalized for 6 days, turns out it was a gallbladder attack and some sort of underlying infection.

Once i got out of the hospital I was still pretty sick/weak etc, and today (7/4) is the first day i feel better. so i got up early and i am gearing up to write, to get back to my routine......

so why do i feel a mental block today? ugh ugh ugh. i was doing great before i got sick.

how do you get back into the swing of things if you have had a hiatus???

oh and in a couple weeks i am getting my gallbladder out so i will be out of commission for a few days.

please somebody give me a kick in the butt!!!!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um -

:granny:

That's all I've got, sorry. Because, you know, hospital. And this is the first day you're feeling better.

so I'm going to go with

:granny:
"Goodness, dear!
Should you be out of bed?"​

Last edited:

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I never kick sick people. Maybe you just need to read over the latest section of your WIP to get a feel for it again. Set a goal of writing a couple of pages each day. That always seems to help me.

GFanthome

At the computer, opening a vein
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
I'm afraid I'm not going to offer up my foot for a kick either. You need to rest and recoup. Don't rush yourself - let yourself heal. It'll all start coming back.

Look at it this way - you know when you're talking about something and you've forgotten the name of someone or something, so you wrack your brain trying to remember it but it never comes that way? It only comes once you stop thinking about it, when the brain is relaxed and has time to churn along at its own speed.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
I won't kick you, but I'll prod you gently with a broom handle.

I think what Folkchick recommends is good: read over your previous work, maybe start by fixing typos, correcting bad grammar, adjusting a sentence here or there. Probably once you get something going, however small, it will come back and you'll get on a roll. Just don't push yourself too hard, remember to take breaks, etc.

Hope you feel better, and good luck with your surgery!

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
Can't kick a convalescent. Sorry.

What I can suggest to you is if you are stuck, read, read and then read some more. I find that when I read engaging material, and most often in the genre in which am writing, I get inspired at some point.

Feel better. Oh, and read.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Get back to work, you lazy sod. Hospital? Pah. I once wrote a 200,000 word book in a week while breast feeding triplets, holding down seven jobs and saving the world from an alien invasion. And I was on fire at the time.

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Could you write just a short little story? Nothing that you plan to publish, but something to keep your mind going (and for fun, since I imagine you haven't had much fun lately being in the hospital).

Get better soon :)

Keythsea

Unrepentant Hack
Registered
Reaction score
Get back to work, you lazy sod. Hospital? Pah. I once wrote a 200,000 word book in a week while breast feeding triplets, holding down seven jobs and saving the world from an alien invasion. And I was on fire at the time.

... and let me tell you -- watching this man juggle triplets and automatic weapons is a sight.

Get better first. Please. I swear, we're not going anywhere.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I once wrote a 200,000 word book in a week while breast feeding triplets...

but admit it, having three nipples makes it easier. ;)

OP, I've had a gall bladder attack. It can really, really, really hurt. Don't you still feel a little like you've been in a bar fight with a biker gang? (not that I've ever experienced that, but I felt as if I had). Hope the surgery goes easily. Write when it's time to write.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest putting down pen and keyboard, taking up your story, and reading it from the beginning just for the enjoyment. Re-read some of the really great phrases and scenes three or four times. Even out loud. Let yourself revel in what you have accomplished already.

Guarantee - by the time your body is ready to work, your roll will be back on as well.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I agree, don't beat yourself up over it too much, it's okay to take it slow. Get the story alive again in your head. Just sit and think about it for a while, enjoy thinking about it, make notes if you feel compelled to. Try writing a scene that comes later in the novel, or one that won't even be in it with your characters. Maybe even write a short story or vignette set in the hospital-- I did that last time I was in one, hehe, it helped shake out some of the frustrations of being there. (even though you're out now, it can linger!). The more pressure you put on yourself the harder it will be and the worse you'll feel. Ease yourself back into it, you'll be back on track i no time! :)

And feel better!!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I recommend digging out a favourite movie or book instead. I've just got back from the Dentist sticking her needles into me, and that's my plan for the evening! :D

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Ms. Coffee Lover:

You do not get a kick in the butt. For goodness sake, you were in the hospital for six days with a gallbladder problem.

Instead, you get a hug, lots of tea and decaf coffee, and a good book to read.

Give yourself a chance to heal before getting back to work on your book. After all, writing is indeed work, from which your body is telling you you are not ready to start yet. :)

Last edited:

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I never kick sick people.

I do. They can't fight back.

Borrow a voice recorder and record the thoughts you have about your writing, and let the rest go to hell. Sickness or surgery are injuries, and your mind and body have to work to get you back together again. Leave them alone to do what they do best.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score

What, you only had to worry about triplets? :tongue

Seriously, hon, take a break. The suggestion of starting by re-reading is a great one; it's what I always do. But other than that, for goodness sakes! relax. And expect to feel a bit "off" for a while.

Best wishes--get well. :)

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
No butt kicking from me either. :) Just rest, read, plot, make ridiculously detailed character bios that you'll never really need...that sort of thing. That way you're still thinking about it, but you're not pushing yourself. Get better soon!:e2heartbe

BKeen

Registered
Reaction score
While resting and recovering, you'll have plenty of time to let your mind wander- sounds like a great time for creating new ideas. Did you have any interesting doctors or nurses at the hospital? Or interesting visitors, possibly someone you haven't seen in a long time? Write a character like them into your story.

iron9567

Registered
Reaction score
I would have to agree with everyone else you need to take some time to recover. Don't rush it take small steps and gradually get back to where you once were. So I have to say sorry I won't kick you and wish you the best of luck in this issue.
thanks
the iron man

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
calvin-y-hobbes+swift+kick.gif

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
thank you everybody!!!!

I'm feeling better, and back to writing. Thanks everybody for your kind words:)

Discovery: when I don't write, I get depressed:cry:

and I really really really really want to finish something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over the years I have started and stopped so many times, I just didn't want this to be another time that I started and stopped, ya know???

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling better, and back to writing. <<snip>>
Over the years I have started and stopped so many times, I just didn't want this to be another time that I started and stopped, ya know???

So glad you're feeling better. And remember - work's never wasted. Starting and stopping is probably leading you somewhere. You won't know until it's over ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.