Not open for further replies.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Lol. Congratulations. And keep going. If you don't reach your 40k in *counts on fingers* 20 days, beers are on you. And that be a lot of beers for these AWers here.... :D

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
It is a milestone, and one worth celebrating! Congrats!

EmmersonGrant

Lawful Good
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I broke the 21k word barrier when I realized I wanted to take the chapter in another direction. Delete 3k words and start over.

I'll get there soon, but congrats to you!

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
...feels like a milestone! Ok I know it’s not a big deal for most of you folks, but I just wanted to share it anyway. It’s good to feel I’ve got past the beginning and well on into the story.

Congrats! In my own small experience, I've learned that that 20K to 30K range can be the toughest part. As you said, the best you can do is to press on.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
That's definitely a solid start. 1K per day is pretty great, I know a lot of writers that aren't able to keep up that kind of pace. Personally, these days I'm lucky if I'm able to write 200-400 words a day.

Lighthearter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm breaking 20K tonight on my project, with luck :D It's definitely the first major point, esp. since I'm only shooting for a 60K framework draft.

-Lighthearter

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations :) Keep going. You're doing great :)

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!

Every time I hit 25K I buy myself a present (it used to be 10K but i had to up the ante after a while.) I think you definitely owe yourself a nice gift right now, be it a new pair of jeans, or a 10,000 calorie cupcake or whatever! Enjoy and keep writing!

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
...feels like a milestone! Ok I know it’s not a big deal for most of you folks, but I just wanted to share it anyway.
It is a big deal and you deserve congratulations. Congratulations.

Lighthearter

Registered
Reaction score
You're already at 24K? Man, you're 6K up on me. I didn't have as much luck last night as I figured :( Congrats!

Ah well. Take 2, coming up!

Although, I was only at about . . . uhm . . . 12K words yesterday morning. Seems that the road trip with my dad out to my grandfather's place(5 hrs away) and having a laptop that can charge off the car battery was a good thing for my writing :) Revised my queries into something that all my peeps tell me would get them to buy the books, AND put 5K words into Shadowmaid.

Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Now, I'd linger, but I have writing to do! QUICK, ROBIN, STOP PLAYING ARKHAM CITY! TO THE BATCOMPUTER TO WRITE THE BATBOOK! AWAAAAAAAAAY!

/is a dork :p

-Lighthearter

ebennet68

Avoids editing by procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! I've even celebrated finishing difficult scenes or coming up with ways to solve/fill up plot holes. Personally, I don't like to set word count goals but instead make it my goal to write every day. Perhaps I'll write a scene or do some editing and revising, it doesn't really matter because I'm writing something.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
You're (*does quick count*) seven hundred in front of me, and I've been going since February, so don't feel bad about your speed!

I also found most of the plot wrinkles presented themselves around the 20-25k mark. It's a pain, but through them now and doing a little better.

Good luck and keep going!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I think I gave a false impression in my initial post...! If you started in February you are well ahead of me, because I started planning around mid-2011. After kicking the basic idea around in my head for some months, I finally began work on the first chapter in November 2011. I was doing 1K a day-ish for the last 8 or 10K of the 20K, but before that progress was very slow and painful, with a few blind alleys and more than a little self-doubt. I did about four virtual rewrites of the first chapter, then got stuck with how to proceed after that. It was only recently that I started to have some real confidence in what I'm writing and forge ahead with making myself do some every day that I can.

Well in that case we're level pegging... :D

Last one to the second draft's a rotten egg!

TNTales

Registered
Reaction score
Keep it up! I'm trying to start my next project so I have two of them around 2k words, trying to pick one.

kalevin

Dark and twisty, like licorice.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
Congrats on making 20K, and getting through and into the 30s. Personally, I think the stretch between 20K and 40K is particularly horrible (so much so that I like to drown my sorrows in whatever sort of booze is readily available and forget it ever happened). Just make like Dory and keep swimming, er, writing... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.