Ugh. Why am I so stuck? I feel like there is some invisible wall in front of me. Fear maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a 58k of a first draft only to finally figure out what my novel is REALLY about(my plot and subplot were reaaaaaalllllly thin) . So I went back and laid out a scene list in scrivener, with many changes. Only bits of my previous 58k will make it into the next step.

Now that I have laid out the scenes, and i have an idea of where i want to go, I am thinking of writing the scenes out of order.

has anyone ever wrote the big scenes or the exciting scenes first and then wrote the scenes that lead up to and away from those scenes? Or will this cause a bigger mess than I have right now.

I feel like if I have a Plan on how to proceed I can just get back into my writing grove......

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
James,
I have no idea...

I have always wrote in a linear way, but it does not "feel right" this time.

I need a kick in the pants right now, If I dont get some stuff on paper for my next bic session I'm gonna lose it!

Griffin Hayes

One evil little baby step at a time
Registered
Reaction score
There are no hard and fast rules as far as I'm concerned. I think the key when making a big change to your novel is saving an older version just in the this new path ends up being a dead end.

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a linear writer. For me, each completed scene shapes the "reality" (or canon, to use a fanfic term) the next is based on so I find myself reluctant to write scenes out of order because I don't yet have the foundation for the later scene.

More than that, however, the big scenes are a kind of emotional payoff, and I've found that if I write those first (ignoring the foundation issue above and assuming I can fix them in rewrite), then I've already gotten the reward and I lose most of my motivation to write the scenes leading up to that one. Outlining in too much detail triggers this as well, and turns the writing into a chore rather than an emotional journey.

Aerial

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
If you figure out your main story goals, plot points, climax, and ending first, then you can avoid a lot of wasted time and effort.

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I, also, write linearly. I've tried writing the exciting, fun scenes first, and I never finished those novels. Now, I've found that I'm able to create more tension as I move towards those big scenes because I'm excited to write them. Also, I don't think you'll ever get the scene quite right without knowing what comes before it, which results in a lot of needed revision. Ultimately, however, you should write in the way that works best for you. There is no one way that works best for everyone :)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You're stuck because writing is hard. Relax, take a breath, sit in the goddamned chair and keep doing it.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
yippee! you finished a 58K draft. Some people never do that even once, so first jump up and down, pat yourself on the back, and remind yourself how wonderful you are.

It's pretty intimidating to do that and then think "oops, and almost none of that is salvageable." Give yourself a week more to keep plotting, is my advice, and doing background character work. Is there some bit of research you need to do? That's still working but it also is a mental breather before leaping back in to a new first draft.

While I'm a plotter, enough detail changes as I write that it's not efficient for me to actually write all the prose of a later scene. I'll write a couple clever lines I think I'll use. I'll write a 500 word summary of it, but when I get there, that may or may not be the scene I actually write. I prefer writing in order. YMMV.

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
Once that first draft is finished, it's far easier to write the rest and edit in a non-linear way. I've had stories come unglued before, prove to be far more than I thought they were at first. No big deal. Just keep writing it, and like mentioned earlier, save a draft of the original before you go all tinkery on it.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I just sit down and write scene after scene until my story is completed. I don't know what writing scenes out of order would accomplish, except having all these scenes that are out of order. In revision, I've added in a scene that made more sense, and even cut scenes, but not intentionally written anything out of order. For me, it's just to work moving forward.

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
You're stuck because writing is hard. Relax, take a breath, sit in the goddamned chair and keep doing it.

thank you. i needed that. your comment plus the silly face in your avatar made me lol.

and to everybody else, thanks!!!!! I feel like you're talking me down from the ledge. I think writing out of order may get me into trouble......

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
For my first draft I don't write scenes in order at all. I don't just write the major emotional scenes first-- I write the scene I feel compelled to write at that point, which can mean all kinds of things. I made my first draft by doing that and then filling in the scenes in between (though certainly not thinking of them as filler!). In rewrites I've worked mostly in order but not always. Like you I only made a scene by scene outline after I'd written a first draft, but it was a helpful framework for when I wanted to write a scene that was 'ahead' without having to rewrite it all again when I got there. If I felt compelled to write completely in order, I'd feel totally blocked too, I can't do that.

We all write differently-- if you feel excited about the prospect of writing certain scenes, write those scenes!

And absolutely congratulations on your first draft! That really is an accomplishment!

Jozzy

Please, sir, I want some more.
Registered
Reaction score
yippee! you finished a 58K draft. Some people never do that even once, so first jump up and down, pat yourself on the back, and remind yourself how wonderful you are.
This. :hooray: You've scored a major victory, but now the gremlins are mad and they are gunning for you. You Can Handle Them.
Give yourself a week more to keep plotting, is my advice, and doing background character work.
Also this. Think about those linking scenes...can you add conflict to them? Maybe play with some of the thinner characters and fatten them up. Try to make more of the scenes "big" ones.

Also..how long has it been since you finished the draft? The MS might need more drawer time.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure many do just that, but I don't. No way do I want to attempt piecing a novel together in that way. Just thinking about it makes my brain bleed.

sadbeautifultragic

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I do. But make sure you have at least a rough outline. I tried to do that without an outline once and it was a big mess and ugh.

Basically I just write whatever scene I'm interested in, and once I've crossed off each chapter on my little binder-paper outline I copy/paste them all in order and start the "next step." This process ends up taking a little longer than it would if I had them in chronological order to begin with because sometimes chapters don't transition well and I have to fix that, etc. But it still works (for me anyway.)

:)

-t.

StillHere

What's another word for thesaurus?
Registered
Reaction score
I also write in order. Just an orderly kind of person, I guess! :) I'm working on my 4th novel, and I have found that my outline gets more and more detailed each time. My first novel didn't know where it was going, and so it went... nowhere. After so many tries, I'm finally realizing that I need a detailed plan at the start to take away some of the pressure.
Good luck!

Jt/Js

Temporarily discombobulated
Registered
Reaction score
A lab that's cold enough to have it's own wind.
I write in order because it would get too crazy (for me) to do it otherwise. However, if I get a brainflash moment where it's like hey, that's perfect for a scene x-number of chapters or scenes ahead, I'll get out my outline and make some notes. Then when I get to that same spot writing linearly, I'll see if it still works. More often than not, I've almost unconsciously set up the previous writing to have a bigger impact when that scene comes up because I knew what was coming, meanwhile I surreptitiously dropped breadcrumb clues for the reader as I wrote toward that scene. So I guess what I actually do is write in order, but think out of order... Hmm...

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
I love to write out of order. That way the scenes that are just itching to be written get done, and I can fill in the spots between them later. It keeps me really engaged in the work. That said, I do attempt to keep from jumping willy-nilly all the time. If nothing is demanding to be written down, it's scene by scene chronologically.

The one real drawback I have doing it this way is that I have to rework some of those out of order scenes later. Things sometimes change from how I thought they'd go, so the out of order stuff ends up with parts that no longer work. But that's okay--I'm kind of a continuity freak with movies, so I just turn that on my writing to clean up the mess.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I write in order because looking forward to the big schemes motivates me.
Saaayyy. That's a good idea. I jump around and write scenes out of order, but you've just made a good case for the linear method.

But I always write my first and last scenes before doing anything else.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
But if I do that, I'll have to force what I write to fit what I've written, and if I then find things are developing in a different direction, I'll have to scrap the previously written scenes, which is too painful to contemplate.

Painful, yes. It's also part of the writing process. If you dodge this painful part, another will spring up in its place.

And don't scrap. Save. Put it in a scrap file. You can always use it later. The thought of deleting anything I've written gives me hives. So I CnP into a doc and tuck it away into a file I've called Boneyard. It's saved and now it leaves me free to prune away!

Also...you do have an original copy of your MS in the event you don't like the editing that you're doing and need to revert, right?

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Absolutely! I'd be most unwise not to - it's quick and easy, and CDs aren't expensive. I keep a copy of every draft of everything I've written, on my hard drive, on CD and on a plug-in hard drive, just in case.

Whew! :D

I hope I didn't offend by asking but I'm always surprised by people who do their drafts in their only document and don't have a clean copy of their original. Makes my heart seize in my chest, it does!

Status
Not open for further replies.