Ugh. Why am I so stuck? I feel like there is some invisible wall in front of me. Fear maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Big ditto on that "scrap" file. Whenever I have to cut out some brilliant thing I wrote, I paste it all into a file of discards or notes or whatever. Thank god! I often get back to it and re-purpose it.

Jt/Js

Temporarily discombobulated
Registered
Reaction score
A lab that's cold enough to have it's own wind.
My scrap pile is quiet literally a scrap pile... I have a tendency to think better faced with a blank sheet of paper, away from the distractions of my computer, so I'll write the first draft of a chapter or a scene in a spiral bound notebook, leave it alone a couple days and move on to the next chap/scene in the meantime. Then after a couple days I'll type out what I've written, making edits as I go along. Passages I think need more work end up highlighted in the Word doc. After a couple days, I'll take loose-leaf paper and work out those individual problem spots, then type them into a new copy of the previous Word document. Lots of paper, lots of copied .doc files... but totally worth it!

RedRose

By any other name...
Registered
Reaction score
Follow your gut instincts. I have written out of order and in linear. Do what feels right. You will KNOW. You cannot write an entire book without that feeling of right and wrong.

jenni1607

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Congratulations!
I sometimes write the 'big' scenes first, and then add the connecting scenes later on. There's nothing wrong with writing your scenes out of order. As long as you number them correctly it shouldn't be a problem fixing them together. Like many people have already said, it's what works best for you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.