How many rejections did you get before you were published?

HLWampler

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If I printed out all of my rejections I could easily wallpaper my living room.

I was always told it just takes one yes and it does. I finally (after 5 years of writing, editing, and querying) got my yes this past month.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
About 80 for the first book. I'd basically trunked it before I sent it to Musa, and they picked it up last summer. It was just published last month.

My baby, the one with 20 rewrites, the one closest to my heart, continues to reap rejections every day. I think I'm up to 118 at this point, but I'm not giving up. There are still a few agents out there, and a few small publishers I haven't contacted yet.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
So far, none. I subbed my first book to Siren and it was accepted. I've got six with them now.

I'm planning a non-romance book that I hope to write over the next year or so, though, and I expect I'll get a truckload of rejections from agents. Romance I seem to be able to write, but suspense/thriller? Hmm, we'll see...

WormHeart

Dual class author / nightguard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fromthefrozennorth.com
Well, I got enough rejections to trunk my first short story collection, three full novels and finally self-published the fourth. After six self-pubs I signed with a traditional publisher and have three novels by them.

So ... it took until my (counting fingers) 11th manuscript before I got accepted.

Just buckle up and grind through. :)

writermike1

Registered
Reaction score
This is a very reassuring thread.

I think I've just passed into double-figures, had a mix of form rejection and useful comments of the "I liked it but not enough" variety.

But I've just finished a first draft of my second novel so I'm keeping the faith, as they say.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
0 from publishers. Went to the first publisher to see it.

Agents: about 20-30?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
0 from publishers. Went to the first publisher to see it.

Agents: about 20-30?

Did you find this slightly annoying? I've had agents reject things that publishers snapped up, which makes me wonder who was wrong, the agents, or the publisher?

Tolstoyce

The glint of light on broken glass
Registered
Reaction score
My baby, the one with 20 rewrites, the one closest to my heart, continues to reap rejections every day. I think I'm up to 118 at this point, but I'm not giving up. There are still a few agents out there, and a few small publishers I haven't contacted yet.

Love seeing this! I've got a "baby" like this, too. I'm so nervous about querying it, but you gotta take that dive in! Glad to see someone else is pushing forward even with so many rejections behind them. :)

Also, great thread idea!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Did you ever read "On Writing," by Stephen King? He talks about rejection letters. They used to come in the mail, on paper. He pinned them to a corkboard, then had to graduate to a bigger pin, perhaps a knife, to hold them there as the rejections piled in.

His wife dug "Carrie" out of the trash. He threw it away, thinking it garbage. How many writers have done that?

I could wallpaper my office with the rejections I have earned from various manuscripts. They say it takes 10 years. It took me a bit longer than that.

The manuscript that was published wasn't rejected much. I only submitted it to a handful of agents, one contest and one publisher.

Brenda G. Potash

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
WOW

So I'm not the only one?! :D

True story: the publisher that rejected me in less than 24 hours said they really liked the premise of the work I submitted, but that they have a terrible track record of promoting their materials and that they were basically a waste of time for prospective authors. Wow... I guess I should be prepared to see some interesting responses as time goes on...

So it wasn't you, it was them? It's like a bad breakup, but somehow sadder.

Brenda G. Potash

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Did you ever read "On Writing," by Stephen King? He talks about rejection letters. They used to come in the mail, on paper. He pinned them to a corkboard, then had to graduate to a bigger pin, perhaps a knife, to hold them there as the rejections piled in.

His wife dug "Carrie" out of the trash. He threw it away, thinking it garbage. How many writers have done that?

I could wallpaper my office with the rejections I have earned from various manuscripts. They say it takes 10 years. It took me a bit longer than that.

The manuscript that was published wasn't rejected much. I only submitted it to a handful of agents, one contest and one publisher.

I guess its just a matter of patience and never losing hope. Although with actual, rejection being thrown at you, it's probably hard not to lose faith.

I hope I'm strong enough to keep at it. I'm currently in the works of editing and will soon get it edited by an actual editor and then on to queering for agents, lets see how that goes.

Brenda G. Potash

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
About 80 for the first book. I'd basically trunked it before I sent it to Musa, and they picked it up last summer. It was just published last month.

Right on, keep up the hard work, someone will take as long as you don't give up. Image if J.K. Rowling gave up, we wouldn't have one of the greatest children's books of my generation.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Thing is, it's going to vary wildly, depending on your writing and WHAT you're writing.

This has been my experience too. I was well over the 100 mark on rejections from agents and publishers for an LGBT YA fantasy, and just found a home for it six months ago. Then, in the meantime, I wrote a paranormal romance series that got picked up by the first small press I submitted to.

I keep writing what I want to write, but there are definitely market-dynamics to consider.

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I started initially as a freelance writer, mostly non-fiction--though, in the beginning, I did submit some short stories. Luck was on my side: I sold my very first article (an interview) to a paying magazine and had my very first short story also accepted (for copies only). That was in the autumn of 1985. Encouraged, I continued freelancing and still do that today; my longest association has been with Fangoria magazine, from 1986 until now. In between, I decided to try my hand at writing a horror novel. I began in August of 1989 and worked on it on and off--mostly off, in the beginning. In 1991, I became more serious, and in 1992, I finished it. While chatting with an author friend, she asked how long my novel was. I replied, "250 pages." "Oh, that's too short," she replied. You need at least 400 pages, or else your book will be tiny. That was in the summer of 92. So, I went through the novel meticulously and made notations where I could develop it further. That led to a 500 page novel, which I finished in 1999. I ran it off and put the manuscript in my desk drawer. It gathered dust until 2007, when I decided to revise the copy. The revision took me 5 years! But when it was done, and I was satisfied, I took the plunge and sent the manuscript to Samhain Horror. They accepted the book in January of this year. So, despite the stops and starts, I had my first book accepted and my first article accepted!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Now, that's a real story in itself, yendor. And I think you're about the same age as me and that we started with the small mags about the same time. I went with Pandora, Amazing Stories, Space and Time, Doppleganger and many others right around 1987. Your horror novel sure took a hell of ride before it was picked up.

tri

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I hope I'm strong enough to keep at it. I'm currently in the works of editing and will soon get it edited by an actual editor

You don't need to get your book edited before you submit, you know. In fact, there are some good arguments which suggest you shouldn't.

and then on to queering for agents, lets see how that goes.

Really?

Ha!

(That's a great typo.)

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Now, that's a real story in itself, yendor. And I think you're about the same age as me and that we started with the small mags about the same time. I went with Pandora, Amazing Stories, Space and Time, Doppleganger and many others right around 1987. Your horror novel sure took a hell of ride before it was picked up.

tri

Ah, Space and Time! I remember reading about them in The Writer, circa 1982! Never tried sending something their way. My first small mag exposure was through Footsteps, edited by Bill Munster. Then, I had a second story in The Horror Show, edited by Dave Silva. That was in 1986. I was also in 2AM Magazine, circa 1988: an interview with Tabitha King. Footsteps actually printed three works of mine, a short story and interviews with horror writer Rick Haulta and Robert McCammon.

Yes, my novel has followed a rather odd route to publication. I had my 60th birthday last November and am very optimistic about the future. All of my freelance writing has been self-generated. As someone who was raised on the likes of Vincent Price and Roger Corman, I've always been interested in the horror genre. So, I naturally gravitate toward that genre...and I've actually discovered that having a long life actually helps when it comes to selling articles! As a child of the 60s who also remembers the late 50s, my experiences are now officially "nostalgia," though--to me--they're merely my memories. There's something to be said for longevity! :)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Ah, Space and Time! I remember reading about them in The Writer, circa 1982! Never tried sending something their way. My first small mag exposure was through Footsteps, edited by Bill Munster. Then, I had a second story in The Horror Show, edited by Dave Silva. That was in 1986. I was also in 2AM Magazine, circa 1988: an interview with Tabitha King. Footsteps actually printed three works of mine, a short story and interviews with horror writer Rick Haulta and Robert McCammon.

Yes, my novel has followed a rather odd route to publication. I had my 60th birthday last November and am very optimistic about the future. All of my freelance writing has been self-generated. As someone who was raised on the likes of Vincent Price and Roger Corman, I've always been interested in the horror genre. So, I naturally gravitate toward that genre...and I've actually discovered that having a long life actually helps when it comes to selling articles! As a child of the 60s who also remembers the late 50s, my experiences are now officially "nostalgia," though--to me--they're merely my memories. There's something to be said for longevity! :)

Yep, I know everyone you speak of. Tried the Horror Show many times and 2AM mag. There were scores of them out there--copy-for-pay belly-staple rags, especially. I'm 61, so we've seen that end (or beginning) of it.

cnotes

Registered
Reaction score
Just entered double digits on agent queries for my YA contemporary. Mixed in there was 1 request for a full.

Anyway, this thread gives me hope so thanks!

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I sent out ~100 agent queries for Vigilante Nights. Then I got tired of querying agents (after previously sending out 100's of queries on 2 other books), and decided to submit to publishers myself. I was offered a contract from the 1st publisher I queried, which enabled me to get an agent.

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I sent out ~100 agent queries for Vigilante Nights. Then I got tired of querying agents (after previously sending out 100's of queries on 2 other books), and decided to submit to publishers myself. I was offered a contract from the 1st publisher I queried, which enabled me to get an agent.

I'm curious as to how getting published enabled you to get an agent. When I asked that question before...probably about five months back...I received some very "curt" replies from writers who told me having a book under your belt means nothing when it comes to securing an agent.