Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julescourt.com

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations!

They mark hard over there - a B is good!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Thumbs:

Sounds like a good cloud to walk on. :D

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
That's fabulous! Stay on that cloud as long as you like.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome news. Congratulations!

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Excellent!

They reviewed one of mine last year. There I was just checking my Feedly at breakfast time, still half asleep. :e2yawn: Looked at the Dear Author feed, saw my name and nearly fell off my chair. I was scared to click at first. I almost read it through my fingers. :scared: But I also got a B. :fistpump

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulation! That's awesome. :)

Jane, from DA reviewed my debut novel and gave it a C. She totally trashed it and the backlash was awful, since what she said went all over the internet. Then I got lots of hate mail, as she interpreted one scene in my book in the worst possible way. But I have a thick skin, and everybody is entitled to their opinion! And…my sales were phenomenal.

Not sure if i'd want her to review my next romance with Carina Press though…she might give it an F and then my sales would hit space and then I might die! LOL!

"Always look on the bright side" and all that…

Well done!

That's funny - I recently got a B+ review and a "Recommended Read" banner from Dear Author, and I didn't see any bump in my sales at all!

Hmmm... these things are not working like you would THINK these things would work... :Shrug:

Jules Court

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julescourt.com
And to cap it off, Book #2 was just accepted by my publisher. Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It helps to share with people who get why I'm so excited. My very supportive husband was like, "That's..umm..good, right?" when I told him.

Pisco, sorry to hear that Jane trashed your book. She's actually my least favorite of the reviewers. I almost never agree with her reviews.

Captcha, as far as I can tell, I've sold 3 books since the review. That's 3 more than I had been selling. I'll take what I can get. :)

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Pisco, sorry to hear that Jane trashed your book. She's actually my least favorite of the reviewers. I almost never agree with her reviews.

It's funny, but I've actually heard a conversation between readers (well, read it. Whatever) in which they admitted to taking Jane's ratings in reverse - if she trashed it, they assume they'll like it; if she liked it, they assume they'll hate it!

So they're still useful reviews, just... a little twisted around!

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Congrats! That's great!

I'm a fan of DA, and I generally think their reviews are reasonable and well-explained. My first book got a C, and my second got a C+. I'd treasure a B from them!

I think my books have gotten sales bump from their reviews, even though they're not glowing. I also appreciate that they've mentioned my first book once or twice when the publisher has put it on sale. The exposure is really valuable!

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
That's funny - I recently got a B+ review and a "Recommended Read" banner from Dear Author, and I didn't see any bump in my sales at all!

Hmmm... these things are not working like you would THINK these things would work... :Shrug:

I'd never heard of Dear Author until my book got reviewed, and I didn't even know how bad the review was until a few people I know told me, and I started getting the hate mail. I don't equate the DA review to a 'troll review', but it did have the same effect as the troll reviews my book has received: my sales jumped. Then I had loads of lovely reviews: my sales also jumped, but they did jump higher. Honestly? I think some people like to read books that get bad reviews so they can also trash them. I've had people say things like "Now I HAVE to read this book, just to see how crap it really is!" The reader mind is a strange and bizarre, often twisted place. But hey, I can twist all the way to the bank! LOL. I will say though, that I still believe that positive reviews sell more books than negative reviews. Most of my reviews are actually 5 and 4 stars and I think these are my core readers, and not the ones who want to join the 'let's trash this book' group.

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
And to cap it off, Book #2 was just accepted by my publisher. Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It helps to share with people who get why I'm so excited. My very supportive husband was like, "That's..umm..good, right?" when I told him.

Captcha, as far as I can tell, I've sold 3 books since the review. That's 3 more than I had been selling. I'll take what I can get. :)

GREAT NEWS Jules! And whether a review sells more books for you or not, a lovely review on an influential site is always nice to have. I wrote a controversial book and was warned that it would 'polarise' opinion, but at that stage I didn't really understand what that meant, or the different ways my heroine's actions could be interpreted. However, I would not change a single word or scene in my book (unless I found a typo!). Everybody is entitled to their opinion. DA has its take, and so do thousands of other people who've read my book. Fine by me.

Evelyn_Alexie

Registered
Reaction score
That's great news! I'll go check out the review.

I submitted the first page of my latest mss to the DA site and got some very useful feedback.

malamute

Registered
Reaction score
Way to go and fantastic news :partyguy: Can I be nosy and ask how long it took before the review came back, I'm waiting on bated breath for one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.