Do you fall in love with your hero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noraline

Registered
Reaction score
I sort of view my characters as my family, or maybe even my children so to say :D I love them, but I'm not ~in love~ with them, you know?

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Guess I'm weird because although I like the heroes I've written, I wouldn't say I've "fallen" for them or even had a crush on them. Yes, they're all sweet and nice guys but none will ever come close to my husband for me! ;)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a YA where I'm not in love with my MMC, but I'm so PROUD of him. Just as if I'm his mother. haha. I puff up with pride when he does something good. Haha.

But in my normal (adult) works, yeah, I tend to have a little crush on my MMCs, but that's mostly because I tend to write them to have the qualities that I like in a guy. Like I can't stand books where a guy is a douche and all these women are fawning over him. Who wants a jerk in real life (well, for the most part)?

Last edited:

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I'm writing a YA where I'm not in love with my MMC, but I'm so PROUD of him. Just as if I'm his mother. haha. I puff up with pride when he does something good. Haha.

But in my normal (adult) works, yeah, I tend to have a little crush on my MMCs...

I'm the same on both the YA and adult guy characters front. It's nice to know I'm not as off the wall as I feared. ;)

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I'm attracted to Dhana, but I don't know if I could love her. She is quick to get angry and don't know how it would work out. I'm pretty easy going and she is offended easily. She is also a vegetarian and I'm not. I don't think she would care for that.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did.

But he rejected me. Twice!

Aimless Lady

Head in the Clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maggieblackbird.com
I was going to say I'm weird, which I am, but at least this time I'm in good company (with Cathy C), b/c my heroes are right for my heroines, but wouldn't necessarily be right for me. So, no, I don't fall in love with my heroes, but my heroines do.

JD

Me three.

FCChen

All Ogre Now
Registered
Reaction score
I don't honestly know if I personally would fall in love with my heroes... but fall in lust, definitely maybe... :D

The one I'm writing currently is kind of a fit for how I am personally, so if I were to choose between the men I've written, Dmitri Marchetti would be my #1 pick!

j p lundstrom

Professional Nice Person Gone Bad
Registered
Reaction score
Whew! I was beginning to worry. I was hearing love songs in Spanish every time I sat down to write. (Part of my background research.) My bad guy took over the whole story. He's mean, he's conniving, he's a crook, but he's smart and hot, to boot. And after he met my heroine, he had a change of heart--she loves him, and I do, too.

malamute

Registered
Reaction score
I fall in love/lust with every one of my heroes, can't be helped :)

s.j.l

Registered
Reaction score
Oh definitely, but the bastard doesn't want me. He's had his sights set on my other MC and won't be swayed :(
Now I just cheer for him (while I imagine other stuff I could be doing with him) :)

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I fell in love with my heroine, but maybe more like you'd love a daughter. Try telling that to my wife, though. Okay, she's only a little jealous, actually.

EJMatthews

closeted rhetorician
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely agree with maestrowork about flawed characters being more attractive.

Hard to say whether I'm "in love" with the hero of my current piece. I definitely love him in that I empathize with him as an embodiment of some of my own biggest hang-ups and fears. Some of the scrapes he gets himself into make me cringe. Then again, I engineered him to fail. He's breakable.

Probably the best part has been writing a heroine who takes the time to get to know him, really getting under his skin. She ultimately surprised me by stepping up to the plate and rescuing him a few times; I hadn't foreseen that quality in her. Each time she sweeps in and saves him makes me do a little fist pump behind my laptop screen where no one can see.

More than being "in love" with them, I think I'm proud--that were they real, these are people I'd be glad to have in my life.

-Eric

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely infatuated at least! I figure I've got to feel about him the way I want my prospective readers to feel about him. In fact, when I started writing this (2 nights ago) after he popped into my head, I felt like I'd just started a new romance in real life. I've been walking on air! :)

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, most definitely. He has many of the qualities I love to see in men. But, he's most suited for my heroine, so I guess I will keep my hubby around. ;)

chelsea

Registered
Reaction score
No because he belongs with my heroine, she is the perfect girl for him. I love my characters like I love and care about my friends. My husband is the guy for me, of course I wouldn't mind if he had my hero's body but he still looks pretty good to me.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I am madly in love with all of my male MCs. Like, tossing and turning, sick to my stomach, can't sleep at night sort of love. It fuels my writing.

When I die and arrive at heaven, I'm convinced that all my male characters will all be waiting for me, and my God are we going to party. :D

Last edited:

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Mine is based on my crush, so...
But the other way around, I'm also getting attached :gaah I've made him that typical hot mess I love so much. Wretched, wrecked, wicked, but awwww look he has a pet bunny! *ahem*
Recently had a guy over. Wasn't cutting it. Fantasized my hero into his place instead. Now that was a "date". Also, my actual crush apparently hating me and being so far away and all, my hero based on him is actually doing a fine job replacing him. After all, we rarely did talk. I was just drooling at his sight, is all. Am I a sad case? Yeah, I am LOL :yessmiley

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No. I've liked plenty of my heroes, but I have never loved any of them

OceanMadness

Registered
Reaction score
Anafel is me, or at least the physical manifestation of everything wrong inside me. He has felt twisted and weird most of his life, he's full of anger and insecurity, and he's kind of an asshole.* He is VERY like me in that he's always worried about doing The Right Thing and never feeling equal to the task. He fears always that he is a terrible person.

I got it worked out - he's my Id and my heroine Elen is my superego. With him it's all about redemption and with her it's all about identity. I'm with chelsea in that he is more suited for my heroine than for myself personally. He's totally sexy but this is not a guy I would ever hook up with. I love my characters unconditionally, more like children than lovers. With Fel I spend more time wanting to protect him than wanting to screw him.

*Note: I am not an asshole.

(I apologize if this post is off color for this forum? This is my first post and I tend to cuss like Salinger.)

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm guilty of growing attached to some of my male characters. It's particularly obvious when I'm brainstorming a new story and they keep popping up where they don't belong and I have to swat them away. ("Hey, get outta here! Not your turn!") As for falling "in love" with them...maybe. Or perhaps I've just been single for too long. :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.