Cover Design - Need Your Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Okay, I've pretty much got my cover figured out. I'm trying to decide between two different pictures (and I'm deciding before I purchase the image, thus the sample).

This is a Christian romance novel with elements of mystery in it, though the primary feel is romance. This is the first in a series of three or four. All of them will have the same elements to the cover - the necklace, layout, etc. The titles are "Finding Hope, Finding Peace, Finding Love and Finding Faith."

I need some opinions.

1) Which image do you prefer? I was going to go with the one where they are embracing, but someone told me it looked like they had already found peace. So I thought the one where they are walking away could look like they are comforting each other, working out a problem, etc. What do you think?

2) I have the series title vertical on the left to tie it in with the compass necklace. Which color do you like the best? And do you like that or think it should be much more subtle somewhere on the image itself?

3) What do you think of the composition overall?

4) Any other thoughts are more than welcome!

FindingPeaceCoverFront3.jpg

FindingPeaceCoverFront2.jpg

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Hi Melanie! I think there's a different spot on AW for cover design input and there are some wonderful people in that forum--actual cover designers--who can give you additional advice. Your thread may get moved there, or you might want to ask the mods to move it there if you want more pro-level feedback.

As a reader, I prefer the picture of them walking away. To me, the others aren't at all peaceful. They show excitement, giddiness. For the series title, I prefer the lower left color. The top one blends into the chain a bit too much for my preference, and I definitely don't care for the black. As to overall, while it's balanced and all, it does feel just a bit busy. Obviously the necklace has significance, but it makes the cover feel...crowded(?) to me. It also speaks of something older, with all of the other elements feeling so contemporary.

But all in all, it's a nice cover.

Oh, one other thing, it might help to look at it in thumbnail as that's where the busy-ness might be more of a factor.

Good luck with your book!

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Elaine,

Thanks so much for your thoughts, I appreciate it! I get what you mean about it seeming a little crowded. I'm trying to brand the series using that necklace. I'm still looking at a few tweaks. Thanks for your thoughts on the font color and everything, too!

I looked for a cover forum and didn't see it. I probably just missed it. I'll go look and copy this one over there.

Craig McNeil

Sitting in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CraigMcNeil.com
The first mock up is best in my opinion. I initially thought the series title should be in black text but it detracts from the important text which is the title (and author!) I think the second two mockups are too happy! If the couple are happy then why do they need to find peace? The first one hints (as you point out) that things between the two or something in their lives is awry, it's got a hint of sadness to it.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic, thank you, Craig! That's what I was trying to go for. I agree, the other two are too happy. I appreciate the time you took to look at them and give me your opinion!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the first one (walking away), but I would think about making the figures smaller and having more distance in the foreground as a subtle reference to them having come a long way and/or having a long way to go.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the first one because I see the other pose on romance covers a lot. (Maybe that's just me?)I would probably shrink the image of the couple and increase the size of your name a little. Definitely agree on the advice to look at it as a thumbnail.

Designing book covers forum

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
I also like the first one best, although I agree that the figures should be shrunk so they don't seem to crowd their borders. I'm also not a fan of the font of the title. It doesn't look professional to me.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the first one (walking away), but I would think about making the figures smaller and having more distance in the foreground as a subtle reference to them having come a long way and/or having a long way to go.

Thank you! I think having them smaller is a good idea. I think some more open space around them would make the cover look less crowded, too.

I prefer the first one because I see the other pose on romance covers a lot. (Maybe that's just me?)I would probably shrink the image of the couple and increase the size of your name a little. Definitely agree on the advice to look at it as a thumbnail.

Designing book covers forum

Thank you! I agree, I see it all the time, too. And actually, my favorite movie is "While You Were Sleeping" and she's doing that on the cover so I immediately think of that movie. That one is definitely just me, though. LOL I will definitely work to shrink the couple some and make my name bigger, thank you. And thank you for linking the cover forum!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I'm with the others liking the first one (where the couple is walking away), provided the clothing is appropriate for the seasonal setting of your book. It's a cool design concept and although I don't buy widely in Christian romance anymore, one I haven't seen done often before.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with the others liking the first one (where the couple is walking away), provided the clothing is appropriate for the seasonal setting of your book. It's a cool design concept and although I don't buy widely in Christian romance anymore, one I haven't seen done often before.

I appreciate that, thank you!

Yes, the clothing is appropriate for the season of the book. The story line spans the month of January. The only thing is that they visit a pond instead of a beach, but I think I can change that to a lake in my book and it will mesh just fine.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The second one looks more "commercial" but it is also kind of cliche pose. I like the first one but agree with the suggestion of putting a little more space around them.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Like everyone else, I think the first is better.

I have two other suggestions for you to think about. The colour of the woman's coat is by far the most vibrant thing on the whole cover and I think this is throwing the balance out. I would try toning it down or even changing the colour completely - maybe a greyish lavender? Second, the font and layout of the title looks very amateurish. I would remove the highlight, or reduce it significantly. I would also move the word Finding so that it is right justified with the word Peace. And then I think I'd try putting both words in all caps or even all lower case. And find a different font for them. Maybe something lighter/finer.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Can I stick in another vote for the first cover?
First, it actually does look as if they have found peace.
Second, it doesn't look like every other cover I see out there.
I don't object to the second cover, but it looks too familiar.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
The second one looks more "commercial" but it is also kind of cliche pose. I like the first one but agree with the suggestion of putting a little more space around them.

Thank you!

Like everyone else, I think the first is better.

I have two other suggestions for you to think about. The colour of the woman's coat is by far the most vibrant thing on the whole cover and I think this is throwing the balance out. I would try toning it down or even changing the colour completely - maybe a greyish lavender? Second, the font and layout of the title looks very amateurish. I would remove the highlight, or reduce it significantly. I would also move the word Finding so that it is right justified with the word Peace. And then I think I'd try putting both words in all caps or even all lower case. And find a different font for them. Maybe something lighter/finer.

I appreciate the suggestions. I couldn't stand the color of her coat, either. And in my book, she always wears a green one because they enhance her eyes. So I did decide to change that. Also, I hadn't thought about the font and layout. Thank you for the suggestions for that as well!

Can I stick in another vote for the first cover?
First, it actually does look as if they have found peace.
Second, it doesn't look like every other cover I see out there.
I don't object to the second cover, but it looks too familiar.

Thank you so much!

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
FindingPeaceCoverFront3-1.jpg

Okay, how about this one? I did purchase the image as I really, really like it. I did all caps for all of the text except the title. For that, I chose a softer font and removed the emboss on it. I also changed her coat color to go with the color of her coat in the book and made sure there was more white space around them.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm liking this MUCH better!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a possibly idea to play around with . . .

The title font seems a little weak. You might try making it bolder and/or changing the color (maybe keying off the color of the sand and using a very dark tan-brown). You could also use a pale blue sky where the title is and see how that would look.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Is this better for the font? I did a bevel into the background like the series title.

FindingPeaceCoverFront2-1.jpg

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a personal opinion . . .

I think I prefer the font you were using (on the earlier "green coat" example), or at least something in that same style. It just seemed weak to me; maybe something similar but bolder.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the first one as well after posting it.

Here it is only a little more bold. I'm trying to decide if I like it black or that dark brown. Will think about it.

FindingPeaceCoverFront3-2.jpg

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I played around with it just a little. Lucida Calligraphy with a larger F and P and bold would have some interest for me. I'm not saying you should use it, but you might look at it.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I played around with it just a little. Lucida Calligraphy with a larger F and P and bold would have some interest for me. I'm not saying you should use it, but you might look at it.

I appreciate the suggestion. I will go check it out! Thanks!

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I tried it with that font. And I went ahead and made it brown.

I need to go to bed now, it's all blurring together. LOL Will look at them all in the morning.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

FindingPeaceCoverFront3-3.jpg

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
After seeing yours, I went back to check. I actually used Lucida Handwriting Italics I think. So they are similar. Thanks so much for taking the time to do a mock up and for your thoughts! It always helps to be able to bounce ideas around!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, whenever I'm doing something like this I have to play around with any number of ideas.

I'm going to remove my post since it's a hot-linked image. I just posted it to show you the font.

Status
Not open for further replies.