Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Instead of a character ending up in the distant past or future, I'm interested in 'mental time travel', where a character's mind is put into their own younger body. Tvtropes link (warning this site can be addictive) http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MentalTimeTravel This is a fairly common device in facfiction because it's a great vehicle for a "fix-it" story, where a character gets a re-do of their life and prevents the tragedies, injustices, unpreparedness, or mistakes that happen in the cannon story. I'm having trouble converting this to an original novel though.

I want to start with a climactic failure and the main character unlocking the ability to rewind time. The problem is, how do I make a climactic failure (particularly a non-fatal failure) seem as important and emotional as it should if I only have a chapter to introduce the characters and action involved, instead of a whole canon novel or even series of novels??

Then after the main character goes back in time the first time, the main character will know all the other characters and care strongly about them... but the reader won't. Same kind of problem - how can I get the reader oriented and strongly emotionally involved in the main character's memories and loyalties in only a chapter?

Aside from specific suggestions about how to tackle this story set-up, if anyone knows of a blog or article about establishing strong reader orientation or investment quickly, links would be helpful.

Kolta

Registered
Reaction score
The problem is, how do I make a climactic failure (particularly a non-fatal failure) seem as important and emotional as it should if I only have a chapter to introduce the characters and action involved, instead of a whole canon novel or even series of novels??

Same as with any catalyst, humanize the character for the reader. How they respond to their situation will make one want to read on just for the sake of wanting to stay with such a person through to the end.

Also keep in mind that only so much can be accomplished in the first chapter and the time travel aspect doesn't necessarily have to change that.

Then after the main character goes back in time the first time, the main character will know all the other characters and care strongly about them... but the reader won't.

Same problem occurs when we meet other characters for the first time even without the time travel. How would you create these connections the first time round? What's so endearing about them? In what way are they good for the MC? How does each benefit from their interactions or from the relationship? In addition, might have the character relate in short bursts fond memories here and there, affectionately take note of a tic or habit of these characters that the MC realizes is something they keep on later in life.

Also, these younger versions are not static. They are not blank slates which only eventually became worth knowing as time passed. Why not try to create some emotional connections for the reader by letting them get to know these past versions?

Don't be too dependent on memories and loyalties that have already been formed. Focus on creating connections with whichever character it is you're actually dealing with right then instead of trying to get the reader to be emotionally involved with an older version that is not even on the page at that point. This could be a great opportunity to allow the reader to see how it is your character grew to care for them so much in the first place.

Hope this helps.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.