Rejectomancy

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
3-day form R from Apex.

Darn, this flash story is fun, but not amazing, and at just under 500 words I don't know that the pro markets will want it. Maybe I should send it straight to the semi-pro markets instead.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection from Grey Matters 'Monsters' anthology, stating that they received around 1000 submissions and so could only accept less than 3% of them.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of submissions!

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
3 Rejections in a span of 10 hours. Guess it's going to be one of those days. :)

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
Two extremes:

198 day form rejection from Riddle Fence.

2 day form rejection from Threepenny Review.

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
2-day form R from Fantastic Stories of the Imagination. Going to rework it and sub it out F&SF (wishful thinking, ha) over the weekend.

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
80 day form from Lakeside circus. Second longest rejection on the grinder chart. But still a form unfortunately. A little deflating after holding out hope!

Last edited:

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Rejectomanche: 36-day personal from F&SF, and 7-day personal from Shimmer. Both cited problems of fit, suggested submitting the respective pieces elsewhere, and encouraged me to keep submitting.

SOMEDAY!

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Right there with you Ty -- 35 days to a brief personal from Charlie at F&SF.

Looking at the numbers, the F&SF bar is astronomically high right now. We were probably in the top two percent of a thousand submissions and didn't even really get *that* close.

Only thing to do is keep trying!

Peace
Ty

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
250 day form r from inscription. I wish I'd withdrawn my submission months ago, ugh.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
19-day form R from Strange Horizons. I noticed other Rs for shorter time frames, and it made me a little hopeful that mine was being considered.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
250 day form r from inscription. I wish I'd withdrawn my submission months ago, ugh.

Same.

Then an R from UFantaasee. Good comments, one editorial would have accepted it, other two torn so nice to know as it goes forth.

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
13 day form rejection from F&SF, "Didn't quite grab me, best of luck placing it somewhere else, hope to seem more from you in the future etc etc. I had some positive rejections previously for this one, but I think I've sent it to all I can now! Time to be retired I think.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
34-day personal R from Urban Fantasy with good feedback. After some thought, I think I have a great idea for how to improve it.

Man, getting feedback from them makes me want even more to write something they will seriously love.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
@res just sent me a rejection for the story I withdrew (and sold somewhere else, yay) ages ago. It sounds like they are rejecting what was left of their queue unread. The email says that they are releasing stories back to the authors but that authors are welcome to resubmit those same stories in the future.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Well I guess at least they're finally responding? :D But hey, you've already sold it, so you're set.

I just got a 17-day R from F&SF.

I wonder how most people at the Grinder classify personal in a rejection. This was a nice, encouraging rejection, not strictly form language, but I'm not sure if that counts as personal.

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
I just got a 17-day R from F&SF.

I wonder how most people at the Grinder classify personal in a rejection. This was a nice, encouraging rejection, not strictly form language, but I'm not sure if that counts as personal.

If you mean from CC/F&SF, his can be pretty personal. All of mine thus far have talked about different aspects of the story and why he's passing. Hope that helps.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
If you mean from CC/F&SF, his can be pretty personal. All of mine thus far have talked about different aspects of the story and why he's passing. Hope that helps.

Yeah, this one had a little customization, but little enough that I ended up labeling it a form on the Grinder. I just wonder sometimes how other people figure where the line is. I'm sure there's variation of interpretation. :D