• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ashland Creek Press

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
I came across them when looking for places to submit animal-themed works. They do nature-related works and refer to themselves a boutique press. It looks like they've been in existence for awhile and have put out some titles.

Has anyone heard anything about them or spotted any red flags?

Their site: http://www.ashlandcreekpress.com/

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Not that I know of. I submitted to them a while back. It was totally the wrong fit, my mistake. But they were so lovely in the reply. They said they loved my writing and if I ever wrote a novel related to their nature theme, they would love to have a look. I always remembered that in the back of my mind. If I do, I will most definitely keep them in mind.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I'd never heard of them before, but looking at their site -- all their books look nicely produced, and they seem to be doing things right. I really like the cover for Strays.

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
Nice website, good cover art, legit reviews. The owners' bios seem impressive and genuine.

I would want to know more about what kind of distribution they have, but otherwise it looks like they have a sweet-looking niche press going on.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
For a current open window, there is a box for a cover letter. But it is not requested. ??

I'm planning to submit to a small eco-fiction publisher by the end of the week. https://ashlandcreekpress.com/about/submissions.html

Instructions are:

For all submissions, please include (in a single document) a 1-2 page synopsis of the entire manuscript (including word count), the first 50 pages, and an author bio listing all publishing credits, awards, and experience. Include a valid e-mail address, mailing address, and phone number.

And submission is through Submittable, which I've never used.

The directions (above) sound like everything goes into a single document. But when I begin down the submission path, a dialog box appears for a cover letter, which is not mentioned in the instructions.

Is the dialog box (for a cover letter) just a default of Submittable? Should I ignore it, since it isn't mentioned in instructions?

I'm wondering if I should write a simple little paragraph as a cover letter, thanking them for the opportunity, or what? Presumably I won't include anything about the manuscript in a cover letter.

Last edited:

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I've used Submittable frequently, and as I recall there is almost always a box for a cover letter (if not always). I usually write some version of my query in it.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
OK. Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking I'll include the thank you, the things in the query that aren't requested elsewhere, and social media contacts.