Best Place for Long-Term Branding

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Well this is kind of awkward. But in my comic of the characters is magically branded (protection rune) against there will. It doesn't involve a poker of anything like that, its done through magic. But my question is...where is the best place you think to put that? I was thinking about the hip or the arm but.

The Scene is someone sneaks up from behind and grabs her pining her arms. She knees him in the groin after a few seconds of struggling but the spell already started. So the problem with the arms is that the sizzling would burn both of them, and the hip area just doesn't feel like its the right place.

Does anyone have any ideas where a good place would be?

And sorry if this is the wrong section, this is more of a whats your opinion based question than an actual this is how it done thing.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I like the idea of a magical brand around the neck - like on the lower part, resting on the shoulders like one of those big necklace thingies that the British people would wear in court. ETA: It's called a livery collar or chain of office -- worn to show fealty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livery_collar

Or on the breast, over the heart region?

Last edited:

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
I want to stay away from the breast because I want to show it from time to time (and it ain't that type of comic). But Livery chain. Great idea, it never occurred to me to put it somewhere behind.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I must be stupid.

I've read the posts but I still don't follow the question. :Wha:

Is this Livery chain going to be the equivalent of a giant tattoo? It's the reference to the 'sizzling' that throws me.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
The old fashioned way that cattle were branded would work, and people aren't going to look at her arse all that often. That also fits with her being grabbed from behind.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone I know with a magical brand has it on the left calf...

Seriously, I doubt you're getting an expert opinion on this here. Or anywhere. Write it so your reader will believe it or understand it.

Jeff

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the back underneath a shoulder blade.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Well, what gave me the idea of a livery necklace is because in 1992 I was a body piercer and met a lot of players in the BDSM community -- one time, I was in Toronto for a piercing event at a bar called the Maple Leaf -- and there was a woman there who had just come back from California where she had been branded by a famous man in the world of BDSM (whose name I no longer remember, but he used to do workshops and people were honored to be pierced or branded by him). The brand was a complex design like a Celtic knotwork, but it formed the livery necklace around her shoulders/neck. I was thinking since your brand is magical, it would be the work of a moment for it to appear (and could even be intermittent, so that it was not always visible).

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
I must be stupid.

I've read the posts but I still don't follow the question. :Wha:

Is this Livery chain going to be the equivalent of a giant tattoo? It's the reference to the 'sizzling' that throws me.

Sorry about that. I'm not a great at describing problems. So what happens is the character gets snuck up, grabbed from behind and pinned. Then a tattoo starts branding itself somewhere on her body. Then she proceeds to kick him in the groin with the back of her foot. Not knee him, that was a typo on my part. Is that more understandable?

Edit: I'm not sure how to say this so I'll so make it as clear as possible. She isn't branded where his hand is touching her. It isn't coming from his hand, it just happens (it just suddenly starts glowing/sizzling like a hot poker is on her skin). In the scene its clear its him because he's the only one there. But not being able to see the scene yourselves I figured I need to explain that pretty clearly.

Last edited:

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
I read a story once that involved magical branding on the lower back. I forget the reasoning behind this location but I think it might have been something to do with more pain or a better scar; something to that effect.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
As I recall, one of Anne McCaffrey's worlds (The Coelura, and Nimisha's Ship, I believe) has members of the nobility receive an intricate tattoo around the base of their neck, just above their collarbones. It details their lineage, so no one can fake being nobility, or somesuch. They design garments that highlight this tattoo for special occasions.