Anti-aging products you use and like

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this. Apologies, if not.

I am writing about anti-aging products for women for an upcoming article in Rhode Island Prime Time. The target market is ages 55 and up.

I am, of course, researching products available in the stores, but I'm looking for comments from actual customers who have a favorite product(s) they use on a regular basis to make the article more valid and interesting.

I would like to quote people, so keep that in mind. If you'd like to participate, you can answer in this thread or send me a PM for privacy. I'd like to know what product(s) you use and why you like it so much.
Thanks!

Also, if you have tried a bunch of products and think none of them really work, you can say that, too, if you prefer.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't think there is a single product that can, with a straight face, be called "anti-aging". There are very few that help with what we are normally talking about, wrinkles, spots, and sagging. Good sunblock helps slow down wrinkle development a bit. I have tried some of the other stuff because I am a bit vain like most people. Nothing I would recommend based on taking before and after pictures to look for effects.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The editor had a list of topics for us to write about. She used the term "anti-aging."

Obviously, there are companies who use this term to sell their products. I was an Avon rep for 4 years so I know it was used.

I happen to think moisturizer is a great thing to use daily to make the skin look softer and smoother. It might not make me stop aging but it might make me look younger.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have never found a moisturizer that doesn't mess up my skin either during use or if I suddenly stop using it. The only thing that helps is sparing use of potash soap.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yoga and meditation! Vegetarian, almost vegan diet!

I also take 50 ml of pregnenolone, a proto-hormone, daily.

That's it. I'm 61 and look much younger.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I drink plenty of water, I usually get enough sleep, and I avoid both sun and soap. I look rather younger than my calendar age. Beyond that, I don't use any product consistently enough to vouch for its effect.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Water. Fruits and vegetables.

Exfoliating, but gently. Baking soda and honey (particularly the opaque stuff called "creamed") mixed together works nicely. Don't scrub, just gently massage into skin then rinse. Can also leave on as a masque.

Also, don't cake on make up. It gets stuck in cracks and that looks terrible.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to make a masque (mask?) with yogurt and green clay -- the clay is easy to find in healthfood stores in the sections for cosmetics and supplements -- to which I would sometimes add essential oils. But the clay/yogurt combo is very cleansing, softening, and it tightens and freshens the skin.

ETA: I don't think we're being very helpful about actual products, are we?

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an anti-aging product - I have this book with a different cover:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1600940382/?tag=absowrit-20

While I have accepted the scientific evidence for this product, I can't say it has helped me personally, but only because I haven't adhered very well to the diet.

This reminds me, I should get off Facebook, on which I see bacon and other such good-tasting pro-aging foods much too often.
The editor had a list of topics for us to write about. She used the term "anti-aging."

Obviously, there are companies who use this term to sell their products. I was an Avon rep for 4 years so I know it was used.

I happen to think moisturizer is a great thing to use daily to make the skin look softer and smoother. It might not make me stop aging but it might make me look younger.
OH!!! She apparently wants products that promote LOOKING younger, as opposed to slowing down aging and its effects.

I'm only 51, but I use sunblock and a hat. I think I look younger than 51. I really think wearing a hat my entire life has made a difference.
Indeed I'm sure it does. Decreased sun exposure reduces one's chance of skin cancer. Skin cancer, if not diagnosed and treated early enough, can reduce one's life expectancy.

A hat is an anti-aging (by both meanings - appearance AND lifespan) product! I understand some also see hats as a fashion accessory, so for them a hat is win-win-win.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm only 47, but the only product I've used every day for the last 20 years is Oil of Olay. It's the same thing my grandmother used and she had beautiful skin all her life.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use oil of Olay with SPF. I'm only 38 but I'm often mistaken for a lot younger and am told I have great skin. I wash my face in the shower with dove sensitive skin soap. At night I just use a wet wash cloth unless I'm feeling greasy because I'm lazy. If I do wash at night I use hand soap. I don't wear make up.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I don't wear make up.

THis is a big part of why you look younger. The ingredients in make up are horrible for your skin.

I think a lot of what people need to do for anti-aging is to stop using things, rather than to start using them.

Oil cleansing is particularly good for dry (aging is usually related to hydration) skin. http://www.crunchybetty.com/nitty-gritty-on-the-oil-cleansing-method

I've seen claims that yogurt can help with age spots.http://www.motherearthliving.com/na...revent-and-treat-age-spots.aspx#axzz37gPo9JT5

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Agreeing that make up is awful stuff. Another anti-aging device I've used is never to wear make up...except a few times on stage.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm putting the finishing touches on my article about anti-aging products.

Does anyone else want to contribute? If there is a product you use on a regular basis that you are happy with please respond with a post. Thanks!

Something that comes in a jar.

Last edited:

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Life Flo Estriol Care ....

and a smile!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a bit younger than you asked for (38 going on 39 soonish), but I also use Oil of Olay. I really like their Regenerist line, and right now I'm using their Luminous sculpting cream. I like that, plus the original, and their night version. This is all with regular moisturizers with SPF in them, varying brands. I like to stick with Oil of Olay, though. Seems to work well for my money!

Hope that helps!

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
My favorite is to not smoke, my second favorite is exercise.

If you want to age well give up smoking, or never start. Cigarette smoke just strip mines you body. Combine not smoking with a form or routine exercise and you'll have the best anti-aging products ever. I'm three years away for 40 and most people think I'm a decade younger.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Life Flo Estriol Care ....

and a smile!

I'm also a bit younger than you asked for (38 going on 39 soonish), but I also use Oil of Olay. I really like their Regenerist line, and right now I'm using their Luminous sculpting cream. I like that, plus the original, and their night version. This is all with regular moisturizers with SPF in them, varying brands. I like to stick with Oil of Olay, though. Seems to work well for my money!

Hope that helps!

Thank you!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so tempted to put a hat in a jar an sell it as an "Anti-Aging Product." Maybe I could throw in a jump rope.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, if I understand the question right...

My understanding is that it's about boosting collagen. And because I can't afford most of the "collagen boosting" products, I do it with sun protection and moisturizing. Product wise, that means Neutrogena 110 sun block (every day) and Cereve moisturizer (all purpose, good for sensitive skin). That works for me. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My understanding is that the whole collagen boosting notion is a crock. There is a lot of Star Trek style language but basically all you can do is strip skin cells off, add water in a gel matrix, and/or block UV.