Possible arm/shoulder injury?

saizine

follow your bliss
Registered
Reaction score
I've been messing about a bit with a possibility for my next project, and I realised while writing down a few notes for it that I'm at a loss for the specifics of a central event. I'm looking for a plausible scenario for one of my characters who is injury. The aftermath is more important than the actual type of injury (i.e. broken bone, knife wound, gunshot, etc - I'm not wedded to any single type at this point), and ideally I'd want an injury that could:

• Send a fit adult male to A&E and keep him in hospital for a few nights (longer would also work)
  • Limit use of either arm - long term/permanent damage is possible with the plot although regaining a majority of use is preferable
  • Preferably an upper torso/shoulder wound, on either side (front or back), or upper arm
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! I've been doing some reading and I'm starting to worry that the scenario I'd prefer is unlikely, as I don't have much use for a simple graze that would have him patched up and sent home the same day, but I don't particularly want to deal with a shattered shoulder blade either. I've had some invaluable help from you guys in the past, so thanks in advance for any advice!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Broken collar bone and concussion. They keep him in hospital due to the latter and the former stops him using his arm properly for a while.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
How about a condition sometimes related to baseball, but can happen to others as well - a rotator cuff tear.

Such an injury involves a tear of muscles in the shoulder. It can happen many ways; not just a baseball injury.

For example, you could suffer this injury as a baseball pitcher, or by trying to start a lawn mower with a pull chord - a sudden, jerking motion can tear the muscles.

I hope this helps.

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
It would have to be a pretty severe injury for a hospital to keep someone overnight. I was hit by a drunk driver while I was riding a bike, and while I had a torn rotator, bulging cervical disk, a concussion, and tons of pain, I was released from the ER in a matter of hours.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It would have to be a pretty severe injury for a hospital to keep someone overnight. I was hit by a drunk driver while I was riding a bike, and while I had a torn rotator, bulging cervical disk, a concussion, and tons of pain, I was released from the ER in a matter of hours.

That's true. 30 some years ago, my brother had hernia surgery and he was in the hospital for several days. 3 years ago, I had the same surgery - in at 6 am, home medicated on the couch before noon.

PsylentProtagonist

American Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
You can blame medical advances and insurance for hospitals keeping people for shorter and shorter time periods. Fitting with your question, it depends on how debilitated you want the character.

A stroke would keep them in the hospital (observation) and limit their use of one side. It also brings recovery into question, because it depends on how quickly a person gets it treated and the type of stroke (bleed vs clot). You could also go for damage to the spine. Certain injuries to the neck can apply pressure to the spinal cord causing paralysis in a limb or more. Sicknesses and infection (Sepsis, pneumonia if the character is older).

MagicWriter

Attack of the Hurricane Turtles!
Registered
Reaction score
A crush injury would fulfill that.

saizine

follow your bliss
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, everyone! I've certainly got a nice and long reading list to look into now, and I'm looking forward to getting into it. :)