Survey: What annoys you on a blog?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
- auto music playing
No, just no

- newsletters popins (before you read the content)
No

- hover links at the bottom (the bar that pops up and covers the text like wibiya)
No

- scrolling items that pop back up to the top every time you scroll down
Probably not

- cluttered sidebars
Nope

- graphics that extend out of the designated area
Ew

- the use of third party comment systems like disque
I dunno... if I have to "sign up" for something that includes inputting my email, I don't comment.

I'm someone who likes things extremely spartan and easy to find. Visually clean. Click-bait type things (like, a 300-word article that has 5 pages to click through) turn me off at page 1.

Or, the "Top 10 dog/human buddy films" and they don't have a list. They have a picture and 13 words of text. And you have to click to a new page. I leave immediately. Immediately.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
Yup,m that's it. I can't believe I didn't notice that. The https shows up when your logged in, but the rest of us need the http. It looks like you page has a "blog page" that lists the posts with excerpts. Clicking on it goes to the whole post. That's totally normal and pretty standard. So, you have no worries.
Here is an example of what I was referring to.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is an example of what I was referring to.

Ah, ok.

The links to the longer articles work well as people may not be interested in each topic. Personally, I think the video should be on the first page and not in it's own post. And the "More about Gojira" is just a page with three links. That one bothers me. It not more by you, just links to other sites. That should be on the first page.

On a totally different note - and also a personal preference I don't like the centered text. I think because its hard to move to the beginning of the next line easily with my eyeballs.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
- the use of third party comment systems like disque
I dunno... if I have to "sign up" for something that includes inputting my email, I don't comment.

What about WP.org sites, where you input your email address, but you're not signing up for anything.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
On a totally different note - and also a personal preference I don't like the centered text. I think because its hard to move to the beginning of the next line easily with my eyeballs.
If it helps, I don't use centered for actual articles, but only for introductions and videos. It's part of how I differentiate the informal "here is me talking about this piece that I wrote" from the more formal...piece that I wrote.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I did my annoying blog stuff post today, if anyone is interested.
Me, too. :)

I'm not technical so I can't really speak to that, but I do have a few pet peeves:

• I don't like autoplay anything, ever.
  • I don't like seeing, in signature lines, a link to a blog that hasn't been updated in months, or longer.
  • I wouldn't like commenting on someone's post and not seeing some kind of response. Even a brief, "Thanks for the comment."
  • I don't enjoy blogs that are overly busy, visually. Nor am I fond of visually dull blogs.
  • I don't read blog posts that are extreme in content or language, or that misrepresent their purpose.
Other than that, I'm pretty flexible.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
What about WP.org sites, where you input your email address, but you're not signing up for anything.

I have WP, so I'm okay with that. But, as a WP owner, it makes it more difficult to weed out spam. There are good captchas out there, though.