Joining the self-pub fray

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
I just want to mark this space for my SP experience and to get advice on some areas I might have missed.

Today I finalized the cover. Happy dance! I'm so excited to get this project off the ground. I snagged an editor who's top in the genre and a cover artist who did an amazing job of making my idea come to life.

Now I gotta figure out when and how to do a cover reveal. And how to set up some reviews.

Should I release in December to get in before the holiday rush? Should I wait until March when people have recovered from holiday overspending? I was thinking March, but everything is ready now. Except setting up the reviews. I'm leaning towards releasing in December and trying to get in on the holiday buying season.

Also, after five days of trial and error, I figured out how to convert a MS to e-book. Now I need non-Kindle folk to test out how it looks on phones, tablets, etc.

The goal from all this is to make enough for me and my husband to enjoy dinner at the chef's table at Brooklyn Fare. It's an indulgence that I want to treat him to for sticking by me through this whole publishing process.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I don't see there's anything to be gained in delaying for the sake of delaying. I might have missed the memo, and March might be known as a great sales month, but I wasn't under that impression.

Good luck with the release!

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I can't find the little note I have somewhere about the best months for self-pub sales, but I seem to recall that it was September, November, December, and then maybe, maybe one month in the spring. I have no idea where I found that information at this point, but I would say you're better off publishing now than waiting until March. Think holiday sales, winter break, and people who get new devices wanting something to read on them.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, sooner is better than later. I think I got scared! Actually, terrified would be a better word. Now to submit to review sites and gnaw off my fingernails!

Oh, and for anyone out there struggling, I didn't have to pay a dime for e-book conversion. It's time consuming, but soooo worth it to learn how to do it myself. Tools I used: Open Office, Google Docs, Sigil and Calibre.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
December was my best sales month last year. No reason to wait. There's more competition around the holidays, but also more readers looking for new books.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I don't see a reason why you should wait. I'd release it in Dec. But if you want to get reviews before release, you could start sending out ARC's now.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The only reason to wait is that 30 day Amazon bump - where you get a bit of promotion on Amazon (price is usually discounted... etc) But if you're looking for holiday sales, I'd release now. People who order your book (assuming you have a physical book) will do so in the next 30 days to make sure they get it for the holidays.

Congrats on the release, by the way :)

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Agree with the consensus to release now if it's ready.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about review bloggers as an unknown author. They tend to be swamped to the point they won't commit to more, and slow in the rare case they accept something.

You'll probably have to rely on personal connections and social media you generate yourself for your early reviews, or use something like KDP Select to get a pile of freebies out there early. People are even shying away from LibraryThing and Goodreads (unless you've previously made a significant social effort in a group) for reviews these days.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
It is tough getting reviews. I'm still waiting for my NetGalley reviews to filter in as well as Librarything. You never know, though, what a reviewer will be interested in.

As far as sales go, you'll probably make more sales in December than January. I think January has been my slowest month for sales in the past.

Good luck!

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Speaking of reviews... I couldn't get book bloggers to review my books because they were swamped and weren't taking anymore books. A slight way around that was when I hired a promo company for my blog tour. Some of the bloggers reviewed my books as part of my tour.

I tried Library thing and didn't get a single review from the 25 books I gave away.

Goodreads is by far the best way for me to get reviews. It is what I've been relying on and hasn't failed me yet! I've made some great connections there.

You have enough time to get involved with groups on Goodreads in your genre and then by the time your book comes out, you can offer your book free in exchange for an honest review.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
What Celeste said :)

Goodreads has been great, although partly because I was on there as a reader a few years before I signed up for an author profile. Just be prepared for ratings all across the spectrum, though--GR folks are not shy about giving low ratings without accompanying reviews.

Reaction score
Oh, and for anyone out there struggling, I didn't have to pay a dime for e-book conversion. It's time consuming, but soooo worth it to learn how to do it myself. Tools I used: Open Office, Google Docs, Sigil and Calibre.

I would love to hear more details about this! What you learned, what tools were your favorite etc.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
The Goodreads part is covered. I haven't been very active in the past year, but have been a member since 2010 and still post reviews every few months. I'll have to get back to participating in my groups though.

So I turned the first three chapters into a ebook to give to a friend and his co-worker to check out on their various devices. It looks great on my Kindle Paperwhite. Fingers crossed it will work on a couple of phones and a tablet.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Good news! I uploaded through Draft 2 Digital and my book has already been accepted by Kobo.

Just set up a Goodreads author page. Hopefully they'll merge it with my old profile soon.

Now to finalize some promo banners.

This SP thing is overwhelming, but somehow sets my little control freak heart at peace.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Good news! I uploaded through Draft 2 Digital and my book has already been accepted by Kobo.

Just set up a Goodreads author page. Hopefully they'll merge it with my old profile soon.

Now to finalize some promo banners.

This SP thing is overwhelming, but somehow sets my little control freak heart at peace.

I find having a checklist very helpful! Congrats on everything, and I hope you have tons of success!

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Last week was very busy. I sent out review requests to ten bloggers. One has already gotten back with an R, but I'm not discouraged.

Two people have added my book on GR to their TBR list. As far as I know they aren't friends so woo hoo to that. I've gotten active on two GR groups that I joined ages ago. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to fool around with readers and not think about author stuff. I've also posted Ebook giveaways in those two groups. No takers yet, but a couple of people have viewed the thread at least. It's only been up a few days. I might post another excerpt later this week. It's hard to tell when you're venturing into overkill. I think as long as I keep participating in the group threads I'll be ok.

Twitter is the only other social media I use besides GR, and I'm pleased with how that's growing. I'm starting to get retweets to my original content. Engagements and Impressions are dismal, but growing. I'm going to capitalize on the whole NaNoWriMo thing and hopefully grow my followers.

Oh! I almost forgot. I think I have one pre-order on Amazon. I'm still not sure how their reporting system works, but I'm putting on my optimist's hat and saying it's a real thing. Speaking of Amazon. How do I get the Look Inside feature up and running? So far it's only giving people the cover.

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Can we talk about your cover? It is AMAZING and I LOVE IT!!!!

Ok, now that I got that out of the way... Just a couple of things I wanted to add that might help. Your link in your signature here says "I Tweet" but it goes to Twitters homepage, not your homepage on Twitter. Also, you should add links to your website & Amazon page for your book next to it. Speaking of your Amazon page... you should create an author profile there and you can link Twitter to that as well as your blog. Your website... it seems like it's just a blog? I didn't see your book there or a link to your book's buy pages. (I know it's not for sale yet, but it is for pre order on Amazon, that should be there). How about making a paperback version of your book? Even if you just use them for giveaways. A Goodreads giveaway is probably the best way to get your book noticed there & have it added to readers "to read" shelves. But you need a printed copy to do it. How about a Facebook author page? Pinterest? Also, connect on social media with all of us self pubbers here. I'm more than happy to Tweet about your release :)

Last edited:

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you say such nice things *blush*. The lovely Najla Qamber Designs did all the hard work. She's a delight to work with. The main thing I learned from creating a cover is that stock photos for WOC is in a sad state. Book two will be easy because she's pale-skinned and a vampire, but book three is going to be a nightmare because she's plus-sized and Chinese-Cuban.

Thanks for the heads up on links in my siggie. I had a total brain fart about that. :)

For now, I can only handle Twitter and GR. I like the brevity of Twitter and with GR it's cool to just hang out with readers. I've given away seven copies for review, so hopefully those will get some attention.

I hate my website sooo much! Everytime I go in to try to fix something it seems to come out worse. It's why I'm procrastinating on finishing the damn blog post on creating an e-book. Time to give it the ole heave-ho and start from scratch. Damn you Wordpress! *shakes fist*

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thousands of words behind with NaNo, but everything else is falling into place.

The book is now available on ARe. There are eight review copies running around. No response from blogs yet. No reviews or ratings on GR. The website is somewhat functional. The front page is an excerpt and I've added buy links. I have a couple more reviewers to hit, but they want the book to already be on sale.

Not really worried about the lack of responses. I'm about to go on vacation, and come release day I'll be on a beach sipping umbrella drinks. Yes, I did all of this early so I could enjoy my vacation. I don't know how reliable the wi-fi is at my destination. Exactly the way I like it!

The next few weeks I'll finish the rough draft of Book Two. While it goes through crit, beta, editor, etc. I'd like to put out a novella by Valentine's Day.

I'm pricing AA at 3.99. It's 64k words. There's a lot of books out there that are longer for 2.99. I'm not totally comfortable with the pricing, but I don't have to sell an insane amount of books to regain what I put out at that price point. Also, if after a month it's not working I can always change it! Ahhh...the power!

I didn't expect to enjoy the journey so much. I was one of those who was really attached to getting published by someone, yet picky enough that it couldn't be just anyone. Then Ellora's Cave happened and I had to rethink everything. My inner control freak lost her damn mind, threw her hands up and not so quietly suggested I go it alone.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Two weeks left to release day! About two dozen review copies floating about. Three reviews up on GR. Four stars baby! It makes me blush to see complete strangers enjoy the world I've built.

I've become obsessive about checking GR to see who's reading, rating, reviewing, etc. I have to stop reading reviews because I can already tell it's messing with how I write book two.

Anyone have some advice on how to beat that part of yourself into submission?

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Oh, you say such nice things *blush*. The lovely Najla Qamber Designs did all the hard work. She's a delight to work with.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I love Naj!!!! *dances* Isn't she wonderful? If she ever stops doing covers I will WEEP FOREVER.

And I agree, your cover is beautiful. :D

The main thing I learned from creating a cover is that stock photos for WOC is in a sad state. Book two will be easy because she's pale-skinned and a vampire, but book three is going to be a nightmare because she's plus-sized and Chinese-Cuban.
Oh, man, I totally sympathize. I'm doing silhouettes and I STILL have trouble with it. I have a feeling I'm going to get complaints on book 2 because I did my best to match the way a little girl character's hair is described in the book but there were barely any options for mixed little girls. Sigh. The lack of diversity in stock photography is really quite depressing.

Good luck with everything!!!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Oh, man, I totally sympathize. I'm doing silhouettes and I STILL have trouble with it. I have a feeling I'm going to get complaints on book 2 because I did my best to match the way a little girl character's hair is described in the book but there were barely any options for mixed little girls. Sigh. The lack of diversity in stock photography is really quite depressing.

I looked through stock when I started out, to see if I wanted to go the person route. Couldn't find the pictures, so I gave up on that. I prefer less peopley covers for the most part anyway, but it would have been nice to have an option.

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I was away so I'm just catching up on your progress and WOW!! Congrats on your great reviews on GR!!! I didn't want to read too much of them though cause I didn't want any spoilers! ;) I'm so happy to see how well you are doing!!

I like to check GR way too often too. It's just too interesting to see who adds my books to their shelves & who's reading it lol

As for reading reviews & not letting it mess with your next book in the series... yeah let me know how you get over that! I could use the advice :ROFL:

MRavenell

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have some advice on how to beat that part of yourself into submission?

Let me just leave it at I've been down the review road, from randomguy123 on forums to the blogger to the major media outlets. No, not novels or the like. Another industry. And I've seen projects I've been a part of being loved and being hated. The highs are high. Even the middle of the ground reviews can be oddly frustrating. The lows are very, very, very low.

Forget a thick skin. You have to have a HIDE. A tough leathery hide. It gets easier, I think. The first time through the wringer was overwhelming for me. I had steeled myself for it to be intense but it was still a crushing shock to my system. Watching people henpeck, dissect and examine your work in such minute detail is an experience unlike any other. It's easy to get drawn in by it, and even easier to be torn apart by it.

Try to take in reviews with a critical eye. Don't dismiss them all as irrelevant, and don't accept them all as gospel. Getting lots of reviews (good or bad) is FAR better than the alternative of silence. Ask me how I know that.

Those experiences in that other industry, plus a historic lack of ambition to be published, is why I've not been very eager to push my writing. I know how much silence sucks, but I also know what sort of emotional hell comes with lots of attention. I'm not sure which is worse, to be honest.

Anyway. Don't let it mess with your head or your heart.

Last edited: