Status
Not open for further replies.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'm still at a loss about how to choose quotes from a review. I can't find any guides about doing this. I'm not sure what level of editing is considered ethical (some reviews have single words they've picked out, but without seeing the original, I don't know why they did that). I don't know exactly what changes need to be marked and what doesn't (I found at least one quote I think changed the capitalisation without noting it). I don't know what part would most interest a reader.

So if anyone has any thoughts, knows of any articles, or otherwise has advice, it'd be welcome. I realise other people don't seem to have an issue, hence the lack of advice articles, but it doesn't change the fact I could really use some help. I mean, I understand how to pull, "This book is wonderful!" or the more ironic, "Worse book of the year!" But not how to choose a quote from an average review. It's all just word soup to me.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I just picked the exact words from the review. For example, one of my reviews from a blogger had this line in it: "Ms. Carrara knows how to write a steamy scene that is immensely satisfying." So that is exactly what I used on my home page of my website.

I'm a little confused on what you are tring to do? Just pick a line from the review and use it.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I can't pick one short positive sentence because the review doesn't have one. The style tends towards longer sentences, which may contain good and bad in them, in multiple pieces like this sentence, so if you put that in a review quote reader's eyes would be glazing before they got to the part I'd actually like them to read. It's the trimming that's the issue.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I can't pick one short positive sentence because the review doesn't have one. The style tends towards longer sentences, which may contain good and bad in them, in multiple pieces like this sentence, so if you put that in a review quote reader's eyes would be glazing before they got to the part I'd actually like them to read. It's the trimming that's the issue.

Ah, ok, I get it. Hmm, do you have another review you could use? If not then you could just pick a short part of one of the sentences.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
As long as it's properly quoted, and properly referenced, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Of course, I think the quote has to convey the overall feel of the review. i.e. "John writes like a blind chimpanzee, and after reading a single paragraph of his nonsense at work I puked on a boss and lost my job!" Should probably not be shortened to "John writes like... a boss"

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You mustn't edit quotes in any way. All you can do is lift phrases from them.

If there aren't any which are suitable then you're stuffed, but I bet you can find something.

Remember that you're not only looking for a good quote, you're looking for a good quote from someone who your potential readers will recognise and admire. There's little point quoting from an anonymous Amazon reviewer, for example; not if you want to quote this on a cover.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
My issue was really that how I lifted the phrases could easily be a lie by omission in this case. I don't like quoting a positive part of a sentence if there's a negative in the rest. I realise publishers do stuff like that all the time, but I'm not comfortable with that.

I guess my main issue was weighting up whether the discomfort was something I needed to get over or whether I should pick a less useful but comfortable quote. I've had comments all over the spectrum from it's fair game as long as they said it to including the whole sentence or nothing.

I did pick something based on responses. Given they were so wide ranging, I went with my feelings and picked sentences that didn't mix praise and criticism. It might be the poorer marketing choice, but it's the choice I can live with. We'll see how it goes. Maybe no one reads that bit of the product page anyway and I'm worrying over nothing.

Thank you for the responses, as talking about it did help me figure things out.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like quoting a positive part of a sentence if there's a negative in the rest. I realise publishers do stuff like that all the time, but I'm not comfortable with that.

I think you're being unfair on publishers there, Polenth. It happens, but not often. At least, not in my experience; and I can't imagine any of the good people I know who work in publishing tolerating such deceptions.

I guess my main issue was weighting up whether the discomfort was something I needed to get over or whether I should pick a less useful but comfortable quote.

Always go with your conscience.

Status
Not open for further replies.