American Horror Story

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
That's really too bad about Nip/Tuck. I had caught a few episodes of season 1 on television when it first came out. Not sure why I stopped watching. I think it was a scheduling conflict back before I had TiVO or whatnot. I really liked what I saw of the show. Bummer that it went downhill. Like Heroes downhill? Or a slow descent?

Not downhill. It was more like the rug being pulled out from under you, and you not realizing it was gone right away. I just kept watching, and then suddenly realized, "What a minute! This SUCKS! And it has BEEN sucking for a long time now!"

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that everyone who likes AHS also likes Revenge. And Glee. And The Walking Dead.

I've never seen Revenge or The Walking Dead. I hate Glee.

Can't speak for other fans, though.

As a rule, I really dislike Ryan Murphy's heavy-handedness, too. With AHS, it works for me because most of the appeal is to see what crazy thing is going to happen next. I think I enjoy it for the same reason I used to enjoy Spartacus and True Blood.

What I look for in horror depends on my mood. Sometimes, I really want to be engaged and spooked, so I watch something like The Orphanage. Sometimes I want campiness.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Not downhill. It was more like the rug being pulled out from under you, and you not realizing it was gone right away. I just kept watching, and then suddenly realized, "What a minute! This SUCKS! And it has BEEN sucking for a long time now!"

I still might try it. It's kind of on the mental list. I love Julian McMahon.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
So the madness has ended; pun intended to the season finale title. I read there have been hints throughout these last episodes towards where the anthology will go next. We all know Jessica Lange is returning. I have a feeling Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson will be returning also.

It looks like maybe New Orleans and Salem (Massachusetts) are good guesses. Pepper mentioned something about "us freaks" so maybe a circus could be included also.

Now that all stories are complete for the season, the alien storyline could have been dropped and nothing would have been deathly affected. Other storylines came around by the end, but the aliens were outright annoying and I didn't get the point of it. Kit could have very well had two kids by Alma and Grace without alien intervention.

The bloodyface storyline was good.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Finally saw the finale today.

I agree that the aliens added nothing. I suppose it was to play on the "UFO craze" of the time period. And as much as I love Lily Rabe, I'm not sure what nun/pazuzu added to the mix either.

It would have been cleaner to just have stuck with the bloodyface storyline, exploring thematically how insanity breeds insanity (figuratively, of course, tho in the baby's case also literally).

StevenHarvey1990

Registered
Reaction score
AHS is amazing but for the life I don't know why. The show is inundated with the unnecessary but still I loved it.

The most irksome for me was the lack of resolution in many of the various sub-plots or answering questions that were asked.

The BloodyFace narrative was superb and ended on the perfect note too.

"Pepper mentioned something about "us freaks" so maybe a circus could be included also."

A circus or a freak-show type theme would be great.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Loved the first season; felt "meh" about the second; not yet committed to the third. We'll see.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Kathy Bates.
Angela Bassett.
New Orleans.

They're trying so very hard to make me want to watch S3, even after I hated S1.

Kathy Bates and horror is like only the single best thing ever. Misery will forever be the best Stephen King movie in my heart, even over The Shining.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Very promising trailer. I read the cast list for S3 and geeked out a lot over Bates and Bassett, although I really just wanted to make sure my favorites from S1-2 were in it. It turned into a very actor-driven show, especially in S2; in S1, Lange had an easy job outshining everybody, but S2 had an amazing cast altogether. (Which Lange still dominated. She does that, I guess.)

So far, both seasons had their flaws, but I still admire the chuzpah of pouring all the tropes they could find into the mix and just watching it boil.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the previews of "American Horror Story: Coven" and thought it looked cool. I set up the DVR a couple of weeks ago and suddenly I was getting episodes about an asylum ...

I didn't realize that Coven would be season 3. I hadn't watched any of it before. Not fond of the asylum ones, maybe because I came into it so late?

I'm hopeful for the Coven ones. The cast is good. As long as the witchcraft isn't treated silly.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Very promising trailer. I read the cast list for S3 and geeked out a lot over Bates and Bassett, although I really just wanted to make sure my favorites from S1-2 were in it. It turned into a very actor-driven show, especially in S2; in S1, Lange had an easy job outshining everybody, but S2 had an amazing cast altogether. (Which Lange still dominated. She does that, I guess.)

So far, both seasons had their flaws, but I still admire the chuzpah of pouring all the tropes they could find into the mix and just watching it boil.

Connie Britton. Is a Goddess.

I loved the first season, and loved the second for entirely different reasons. I think they really made a great decision when they decided to anthologize this. I really enjoy watching all these character actors interacting together, because even when the writing drags (the aliens in s2), the cast is able to keep it together. I know Jessica Lange is the critical favorite and rightfully so, but Sarah Paulson is one of my four favorite actresses alive today (Sarah, Connie, Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Winslet).

I would place AHS as one of my five favorite shows on television right now (Revenge, It's Always Sunny, The Following and Walking Dead filling the other four spots.)

On a side note, I make too many lists.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Saw the teasers and promos for the third season. After I saw Angela Bassett, that hooked me to tune in next week for it.

I just hope it's a good season...much better than this last one.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot Taissa Farmiga was coming back for "Coven"--definitely back on board now. I probably won't be able to catch it as it airs, but I'm interested.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Watched it last night. Not bad. Feels a bit more like they're all female mutants from Professor Xavier's School For Gifted Children, but eh, I can roll with that. (The "craft" part of "witchcraft" is totally lacking; again, I can roll with that.) Some of the Mme LaLaurie dialogue during the party went by too quickly for me, but it didn't seem important, other than establishing the tension between her and one of her daughters. And I'm trying to figure out if the bull's head was actually cemented onto the slave, or just put on -- it seemed like the latter, but everyone reacted like it was the former. (Question: Is "flave" a real thing? Kids use this term now, for "flavor of the night/week"?)

I'll stick around for the second ep.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
The new season reminds me a lot of my current WIP, so I think I'll like it. I sort of gave up after season 2 because it got kind of stupid (only watched the first half or so), but I have much higher hopes for this one.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
(The "craft" part of "witchcraft" is totally lacking; again, I can roll with that.)
The Supreme's daughter was sort of crafty, no? Of course, she was derided for it.

Overall, I went in with high hopes and was only mildly disappointed. In tv land, for me, that's a win! I will definitely watch more.

I have a question, tho, for the females in the audience. I (a gay man) felt that the new girl's "power" was vaguely misogynistic. I mean I felt the writers were being misogynistic. This may be just because she hasn't "learned to control it yet" and, once she does learn to harness it, it won't: a) rely upon a man to work, and b) play upon (some str8) men's fears that a woman's sexuality is evil. But this could just be me. Did it strike anyone else that way?

Worst Line: "I'm a human voodoo doll!" Way to info-dump! (Actually that whole dinner table discussion was a cornucopia of stilted dialogue and lazy writing.)

Best Line: pretty much anything uttered by Lange or Bates.

Last edited: