Self-Published: my journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for updating, profen4. Keep up the good work!
I have some MG manuscripts that I want to get out there, so it's interesting to read about your journey. I can see why paper books would do better.
Gorgeous covers, very strong. Also love the consistency; it's überclear that it's a series. Your designer did a great job!

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Thanks for updating, profen4. Keep up the good work!
I have some MG manuscripts that I want to get out there, so it's interesting to read about your journey. I can see why paper books would do better.
Gorgeous covers, very strong. Also love the consistency; it's überclear that it's a series. Your designer did a great job!

Thanks, Judy :)

MG can be a tough start, if I wasn't forced into this route I don't know I would have taken the leap. But I am happy with the process, and results so far. I'm trying a couple new strategies this year and I'll try to update about them and how they work in the coming months.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MG wouldn't be my first choice for self e-publishing either (that would be YA), but I already wrote those manuscripts. Due to the economical crisis and shifts on the Dutch book market (publishing houses are going bankrupt, merging or publishing less books, book stores and libraries are closing), I have a hard time selling them to publishers. Some were interested, but just didn't want to take the risk.
So, I can either leave those manuscripts in my (digital) drawer, or find other ways.

Since my main focus will be e-books and YA, these MGs are "extra".
The only thing I didn't take into account was that MG will probably do better as paper books...
Do you do the layout for your p-books yourself, and if so, with what program? Or do you hire a graphic designer?
And may I ask how you were forced into taking the self-pubbing route?
Only if you want to answer, of course :). Thanks!

Last edited:

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
You got your rights back? Good for you. That can be a challenge sometimes. I think there is a market for MG eBooks, but you really have to find a way to get the word out. As a SP author, the way to do that is with print. Librarians in schools have been the biggest help to me. If you can make meaningful connections in that regard, I highly recommend it.

If you ever want to talk more about strategy, don't hesitate to contact me (that offer goes out to anyone).

Yes, I did! (There's a story there.) ;)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, but SP is definitely an option for me. I'm just feeling better knowing that I have options now. And thank you for your offer of help. Much appreciated! :)

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
No, I don't mind one bit. Long-story-short I originally sold my book(s) to a trade publisher, but shortly after I signed on the press ceased operations... a long fight later I had my rights back. But FYI, sometimes a previously 'contracted' title can be as hard a sell as a previously published title.

It was trunk it or put it out on my own. I had an agent by that time and we had a long talk about how to proceed, followed by a lot of research on my part.

Then I jumped.

So it wasn't my first choice, but it was serendipitous because I am very happy with my decision. In fact, the book I'll be releasing next month is one that did get a few offers on, but the terms were at odds with where I wanted my career to go (i.e. non-compete clauses, lower advances... etc). So I opted to SP again.

It's one of the reasons I think it's an awesome time to be a writer. We have so many options.

Now, per your question about layout. No, I don't do it on my own. I hire someone very experienced and very meticulous. There are thousands of people who offer layout services, and many of them might be great. I wanted to use someone who had designed award winning trade-published children's books, and who would help me with the finer points of layout. She's awesome and I highly recommend her. Here's her website (http://tammydesign.ca/Tammy_Design/services.html). Doesn't hurt to get a quote. You can use the "look inside" feature on my print books on Amazon to see what she did for me.

Now, the fact that the Dutch publishing industry is in turmoil, as you mentioned, perhaps that will be to your benefit - you might find some experienced designers looking to do some freelance work.

I personally think there are only a few genres where print might not matter (i.e. erotica), and none of them are kid-lit (MG or YA). The next book I'm putting out is YA and I'm doing print again for sure.

MG wouldn't be my first choice for self e-publishing either (that would be YA), but I already wrote those manuscripts. Due to the economical crisis and shifts on the Dutch book market (publishing houses are going bankrupt, merging or publishing less books, book stores and libraries are closing), I have a hard time selling them to publishers. Some were interested, but just didn't want to take the risk.
So, I can either leave those manuscripts in my (digital) drawer, or find other ways.

Since my main focus will be e-books and YA, these MG's are "extra".
The only thing I didn't take into account was that MG will probably do better as paper books...
Do you do the layout for your p-books yourself, and if so, with what program? Or do you hire a graphic designer?
And may I ask how you were forced into taking the self-pubbing route?
Only if you want to answer, of course :). Thanks!

Last edited:

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your elaborate answer, I really appreciate it!
Yes, I agree, it's an awesome time for writers indeed.
I'll check out the link. And you're right, there might be some wonderful Dutch artists looking for freelance work; editors are already offering their services, so soon designers might do too (will have to keep my eyes open > but thanks to the internet, I'm not limited to the Netherlands, it's always nice to have options!).

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Edits are done on my latest book. A couple tweaks to the cover, and then the layout designer gets started. This is my favorite part. Once I see the PDF all laid out I get pretty excited.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Much help from the design subforum here, but I think we have a winner for the cover of my next book: will post again when I figure out how to reduce it somewhat.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Profen, I do like your new cover, but we have a maximum image size of 400 x 400 pixels here. Could you reduce it accordingly, please? I'm sorry to have to ask, but we do have to consider people who are on slower connections. Thank you!

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Sorry about that, Old Hack. I thought I had reduced it. Will repost when I can figure out how to set the right pixel size

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Okay - I've resized to the AW specifications. So here's the new cover for my next novel!

2259cb46-8e88-4e86-9784-d9cde523395d.jpg

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
*subscribes to thread*

I enjoyed your posts in the "Why Self-Publishing Is Not The Answer To Rejection" thread. I'm currently on the fence about whether to self-pub or continuing trying to go trad pub, it's a tricky choice to make right now.

I'd love to hear about your promotion/marketing plans some time. You said in the other thread that "I can tell you exactly where the first 1000 sales of my next book will come from.", and that sounds like you've got some killer promo abilities. :)

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I don't mind sharing my experience and what worked for me, I'll try to post about it in the coming days. I don't have a lot of time today. I also want to stress that my experience and my process was geared for the MG/YA market....

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Emma writes YA - and so do I, so I'd also be curious to see what you do.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Well, next month on April 16th, will be the one year mark since I began this self publishing journey. I can't even believe it's gone by so fast. I'm planning to post an update around that time with some things that have worked for me, and some things I wish I'd done that I now do for my other titles.

I really want to get one more book out before that date, but I won't rush it just for the arbitrary deadline. But book 3 in my Dean Curse books is in final edits after which layouts.

I also just released another title: DISRUPTION, which I mentioned earlier. I can't seem to figure out how to add another title to my signature, but when I do I'll add it.

Clicking image will take you to Amazon.com

I did get into a BookBub Promotion for GLIMPSE which will begin in a few hours (well, the email will go out from them in a few hours, but the price change is already in effect). I'll be very curious to see how that promotional tool works for MG and lower YA books. I've never seen an author talk about that, so I'll be sure to share my experience after it's over.

If anyone wants to enter for a chance to win a hardcover or paperback copy of DISRUPTION, I'm doing a rafflecopter giveaway right now on my website.

One of the things I've been most impressed with is the support and encouragement from other writers. I would have been very lost in those first few months if some very helpful people hadn't ushered me through some of the important first steps. I fully intend to pay that forward.

Cheers

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Profen, you're going to have to resize that image. It's way too big. 400 x 400 is the maximum size allowed here. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.