Status
Not open for further replies.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Well, after months (years, actually) of waffling about, I've decided that 2014 is the year I will push my story out into the world. It's been a difficult decision, but also an exciting one. So here I go!

This is where I stand:
I've been standing at a 3-way split in my path for around a year now, trying to figure out which way to go.
The path on my left winds into the vast desert of self-publishing with The Shade of Andrea Fox, a YA portal fantasy and my first novel (also the 1st of a 5 book series). There's surely an oasis out there somewhere and I truly believe in this story, but it's a gamble.
The path on my right disappears into a dark, tangled forest of traditional publishing with House of the Silver Moon, a MG paranormal fantasy, 1st in a 4 book series, and (in my opinion) the most commercially appealing concept I've ever come up with. There's an emerald city beyond those woods, but few who brave the forest make it through.
The path in front of me is unknown and shrouded in mist. Bright is a wild card- a gritty standalone NA odyssey, and I have no idea what the end result will be.
So after endless debate, switches, uncertainty, and much wasted time, I've decided to pursue the path into the desert while I research and prepare for my eventual journey into the forest.

So I'm committing myself to the saga of Andrea Fox and taking the plunge. I'm currently searching for the right artist to work with for my cover. I've gotten an EIN and opened a business account at my bank, and I've got a fair amount of money set aside for expenses.
I'll be publishing through most of the currently stable routes, which, thanks to you guys at AW, I've done a lot of research on.
My expectations are low to begin with (as they must be), but I'm extremely excited to open this new chapter of my life.

I'm very thankful to all of you for enlightening me with your own journeys, and I hope to continue learning with you. In return, I hope I'll be able to help others in time. I'll post updates here as I go. I'll also start up a blog and a new twitter and Facebook account as author pages.

Wish me luck, AW! Here I go!

Last edited:

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Looking forward to following your journey. If the way you wrote your post is like the way you write, you may already have me as a reader!:D

Thanks very much! I actually typed this up and posted it from my phone while on my lunch break at work (which I'm also doing with this post), so maybe that's a good omen for my actual literature. I'm a fan of yours, by the way, from my months lurking this particular board. I'm not much into romance as a genre, but your volume of work is impressive.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
So I found an artist I LOVE, and I've offered a good chunk of cash for a full package: 2 full cover designs, an interior illustration, a logo for the series, and 2 pieces of promotional art to be used in site design, etc.
Here's a question: if I fall in love with both the cover designs, should I use them both? One for the ebook and paperback and the other for hardback? I think it could be interesting and maybe even more profitable to use an alternate cover for a hardback. Do self-pubbers ever do that?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you love them both, the first thing to do is to check you have rights to use them both under your agreement with the artist.

Once you're sure about that, I'd probably use one of them across all formats and save the second one for relaunching the book at a later date, perhaps when you publish a sequel or a new book.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
If you love them both, the first thing to do is to check you have rights to use them both under your agreement with the artist.

Once you're sure about that, I'd probably use one of them across all formats and save the second one for relaunching the book at a later date, perhaps when you publish a sequel or a new book.

That's a good idea. I was thinking that down the road when I've put out all 5 in the series, I could release the set on discount with alternate but specifically themed covers.
I'll be able to use both of them. Part of the deal is 2 covers made and sold to me in full. He's designing them and I'm buying them both straight up as part of the package. I can use one or both. Made sure that was a specific part of my offer when I made it. I want to work with the same artist for each installment, with 2 covers made for each using different themes.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Cover reveal! I decided not to go with the artist I had chosen, because he was was having a hard time getting his schedule in order and seemed like he had too much on his plate. So I ended up painting it myself, which was a first for me (i've painted with acrylics in the past, but never digitally).

Here it is!

RmT7inG.jpg

arJGTwj

Bigger version here!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I like it! The only thing I would do is move up the words: the Shade of and enlarge those words a bit. That is just one opinion though. Looking forward to reading your updates.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Ann Joyce regarding adding space between "The Shade of" and "Angela Fox," just for clarity. Otherwise, I love it. It looks great and conveys the genre.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I can barely read any of the text apart from "Andrea Fox", and as you've shown it here at a larger size than it'll appear on Amazon etc, you might like to deal with that. It really isn't good if your potential readers can't make out what your book is called. I'd use a clearer, less flouncy font, and move it up a size or two.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
First thing that hits me is how huge the top margin is... you didn't want the lamp interfering with the text, sure, but I think it would be better to move the lamp down instead.

Also, there's a cover critique forum here on AW. You can get tons of advice there.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Alternate cover reveal?

10 hours of oil painting in PS later, I made another, originally to give myself some options and perhaps use it as an alternate cover for the hardback...anyway, here it is:

XWHJLDS.jpg

Last edited:

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think either cover you've made is really going to perform the way you want. The first image is better, but so dark (and lots of people will see it really tiny in grayscale while browsing) and not something that I think will entice people to click through. That's the whole purpose--get them to stop and look.

Why not take the money you'd budgeted for the other artist and find a new one experienced with YA covers? It's worth investing in, especially for a series.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I love components of each cover. I still like the original best - much more intriguing to me, with the lettering changes of the second. Like LBlankenship suggested, you could make that lamp shorter and it wouldn't interfere with the title. J. Tanner makes good points, too.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Thanks much, everyone! Great advice, as always. I'm just counting down the days until release. Don't think I've ever worked so hard outside my day job before.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Well, it's been a crazy month with buying ISBNs, formatting, revising, formatting, and more formatting. Just a little over a month until release now, and I've got just about everything set up except the website.

Also painted another cover. This one I think is much better for the tone (and in general), and it's taken from an actual scene in the book, so yay.

11TvByl.jpg

Larger version is here.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Now that's a nice cover!

My only nitpick would be wanting to kern the gaps around the R's in your name.

Keep us updated!

Thanks! And yeah, I've already noticed a couple tweaks I might make, though I'll have to do it fast.
Honestly, I should have given myself more time before release to go at an easier pace. I'm still working a full time job that sometimes includes mandatory overtime, and trying to do everything within the frame of a couple months. I'm on schedule, but it's been a little crazy. I'll wake up randomly at 3am, thinking about a tweak in the revision of chapter 3 or something, and I'll leap out of bed to do it before I forget, and don't get back to sleep for another 2 hours.
I'm definitely going to give myself a better schedule before the next book.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Also painted another cover. This one I think is much better for the tone (and in general), and it's taken from an actual scene in the book, so yay.

11TvByl.jpg

Larger version is here.

I LOVE the new cover! It's very simple; it conveys fantasy to me; it's great that it portrays an actual scene from the book, and I think you've done a great job with the lettering, except I ditto LBlankenship's remark about the R's.

It's very impressive that you've painted the covers yourself. Makes it so original! You're a wonderful artist.

Last edited:

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
I LOVE the new cover! It's very simple; it conveys fantasy to me; it's great that it portrays an actual scene from the book, and I think you've done a great job with the lettering, except I ditto LBlankenship's remark about the R's.

It's very impressive that you've painted the covers yourself. Makes it so original! You're a wonderful artist.

Thanks very much! I've gotten better in the month since I bought the drawing pad, and I'll continue trying to improve. What I'd like to do after Shade's release day is paint a couple of covers for fellow self-pubbing AWers (free of charge), just so I can keep practicing and getting better, and maybe help out those that have a tight budget but need some artwork. I'll probably never really go the commissioned artist route, but I do have a lot of fun with things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.