Submitting to multiple/international publishers?

Ellie_2014

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of editing my MS, so am looking to publish in the near future. I had a couple of questions with regard to submitting to publishers.

First of all, is it frowned upon to submit to multiple publishers at once?

Also, I'm in the UK. Should I submit to publishers outside of the UK (for instance, in the US) as well, or just stick to UK-based publishers?

Thank you in advance.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to get a deal with a trade publisher you're probably going to be better off getting a literary agent, and letting them submit your book to publishers. Have you decided against this?

Ellie_2014

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to get a deal with a trade publisher you're probably going to be better off getting a literary agent, and letting them submit your book to publishers. Have you decided against this?

I've not really come to a decision as to whether or not I am going to get an agent yet.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Don't submit your work anywhere until you've decided what you want.

Submitting to publishers now will make it very difficult for your agent to submit to them again, if that's the route you decide to go for.

In my experience, writers are much better with literary agents. They get better contracts, bigger advances, and they make foreign and subsidiary sales which they couldn't hope to do alone.