Last Movie You Watched...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
If it's the original 1947 version with Edmund Gwenn, then a definite "Yes". I'm not into Christmas at all but for that movie, I'll make an exception, as it's one of the few holiday flicks that doesn't preach.

Remember the Night (with Barbara Stanwyck--my fave--and Fred MacMurray) is another standout. Watched that the other day.

Also saw Mighty Joe Young--both versions--and while the remake has much better special effects, the original still rocks, especially the rescue scene. Black and white is just so cool.

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
Watched The Hobbit with my Dad today. I liked it well enough, but my Dad really loved it. Considering there were so many slower parts I found his love of the movie a pleasant surprise!

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
The Hobbit. Beautiful movie, but too many extra parts.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Winter's Bone, with Jennifer Lawrence. Terrific! A 17 yr. old girl's Meth cookin' Papa who's put their rural home up for bond disappears, and she has one week to find him before they lose the house. I'd never heard of it, but apparently everyone else had http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter%27s_Bone

Trailer>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myL1N2UjT-c

It's what made Jennifer Lawrence a star - she was nominated for the Best Actress Oscar for it. I know I know, HUNGER GAMES technically made her a star, but without that best actress nom . . . who knows if the HG role would have happened :) .

I saw THIS IS 40 and the Cirque du Soleil movie. The former was quite good, though the fights were so real and so numerous that it got quite stressful after a while. The Cirque movie was beautiful, not really a movie though, just really a gorgeous filming of their shows. That being said it was also the stuff of nightmares. That is to say my nightmares. I swear I've had dreams like that. Quite creepy.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I saw THIS IS 40 and the Cirque du Soleil movie.

Which movie? The only one I have on DVD is Alegría, and... it isn't very good. I switched it off after ten minutes (yes, I know, but I am easily bored), and the thought of sitting through the other films fills me with dread...

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
It's what made Jennifer Lawrence a star - she was nominated for the Best Actress Oscar for it. I know I know, HUNGER GAMES technically made her a star, but without that best actress nom . . . who knows if the HG role would have happened :) .

I loved the authenticity of this thing. Not that I know anything of that life, but nowhere did I get the feeling that it was sensational. They could have gone the easy way, the expected way, but they never did. Some of those actors, especially Thump Milton's wife, seemed like they weren't actors at all.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Which movie? The only one I have on DVD is Alegría, and... it isn't very good. I switched it off after ten minutes (yes, I know, but I am easily bored), and the thought of sitting through the other films fills me with dread...

The one out in theatres right now. The 3D "Worlds Away" one produced by James Cameron. It might bore you too, there is very little plot, it's really just a vehicle to show off their magnificent abilities, but damn if they ain't impressive . . .

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer--I really enjoyed it. I thought it was really cool and fun how they took historical facts and mixed it up with the fictional parts of the story. Very well done. Hubs and I were thoroughly entertained. Great fights scenes with the Matrix-like movements, nice amount of blood, and the action scenes were well done (though a little over the top with the train/fire scene).

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from Les Miserables and I'm still sniffling. I sobbed through the whole of Anne Hathaway's performance of "I Dreamed a Dream." So, so powerful. But looooong. Shouldn't have had that Sierra Mist.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Finally watched Source Code. It's been recommended to me so many times, and now I see why. So good.

I liked it, actually.

Did you find it predictable? I knew pretty early on that he was technically dead and I knew they were going to show the source code "work". I watched it by myself, so I'm curious whether it was just me, or if it was actually fairly easy to piece together.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
Jack Reacher. I love the novels, so I went in to the movie exceptionally skeptical. (Actually I didn't want to watch it at all, but I was outnumbered by my sisters.) I'm glad to say I was quite impressed--definitely better than I imagined it'd be. Still think the casting of the MC was whack, but over all, not too bad.

And hey, the popcorn was delicious. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Les Miserables and liked it although I didn't care for the director changing things around so much. (Already said so in another thread and not worth repeating here).

Did 'treat' myself to Piranha 3D, an atrociously bloody movie with all the cliches but well-directed. Poor Richard, we knew him well!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Gave up on Silent Scream (standard cast of pretty young people having sex and then getting killed in varous ways). :e2zzz:

Watching The Touch of Satan (MST3K version) instead. *is relaxed now*

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Gave up on Silent Scream (standard cast of pretty young people having sex and then getting killed in varous ways). :e2zzz:

Watching The Touch of Satan (MST3K version) instead. *is relaxed now*

---

What IS it with you and these cheesy flicks?:)

If you want cheese, try out The Undead, a 1957 flick about past lives and reincarnation. Also, The She Creature, 1956, following the same theme, more or less. Atrocious in an oddly fascinating way. Not truly bad...more like bad played and acted very well.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I love bad horror. I've watched it all my life, starting with Friday night movies with my dad when I was 5 years old. :)

Seen both The Undead and She Creature, in regular and MST3K versions. Love 'em both.

Also: Roger Corman FTW! :)

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw Dredd. Easily one of my faves of 2012. Really chokes me it didn't make its budget at theater. Awesome action and story, and the concept of cops as judges is just funny to me. Maybe Karl Urban could have taken it easier on the perpetual frown. Loved his sidekick, whose actress needs more movies.

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Romancing the Stone for the first time in a long time. It's not the best movie about a writer out there, but I like it. :D