The Chicago Manual of Style

Pippi

Registered
Reaction score
Is The Chicago Manual of Style a worthwhile investment? It's very expensive. Do you know of any alternatives?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It kind of depends on what kind of writing you do.

It's nice to have around, but I don't think it's particularly necessary for the average fiction writer.

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
The Associated Press stylebook is $20 at b&n. I use both, have an online subscription to CMoS and physical copy of th AP stylebook. But CMoS is what I use for work.

Edit: I would recommend you check it out for yourself. You can sign up for a 30-day free trial on the Chicago Manual of Style website. This way you can decide for yourself if it's something you want/ need

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
It's nice to have around, but I don't think it's particularly necessary for the average fiction writer.

This is mostly true, but you also want to make sure you know your stuff. If someone has trouble with punctuation, or is writing about something outside of their realm of expertise, it's a good idea to have on hand.

Pippi

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, the AP book looks really good.

I'm writing fiction. There did seem to be some useful in CMoS, but there also seemed to be a whole lot I wouldn't need too.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you looking for a book on basic grammar? There are several threads here with recommendations on grammar textbooks and manuals.

You might also look at St. Martin's Handbook (with a nod to Maryn, who always suggests this book).

Both the Chicago Manual and the AP Stylebook are probably more than you really need as a fiction writer. They are so detailed that it can sometimes be hard to find an answer to a simple question. Again, they are nice to have, but it probably shouldn't be your first source. If you were planning on writing for a magazine and/or a newspaper, then you would almost certainly want either CM or AP, or both.

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
If cost is the only thing keeping you from getting a copy of the CMOS, why not buy a used copy? Sure, it may not be the current edition, but I've been using the same copy for the last 12 years and have never encountered a situation where it didn't hold the answer.

CMOS may not be the best resource for all situations (hell, I normally just ask my grammar questions here), but it's a tool every writer should own.

Deleted member 42

I'd skip it, frankly.

You can check it at the local library.

A new edition is already in the works, and CMS changes from edition to edition.

Your publisher will have a house style, and it may not be based on CMS. And it's not terribly helpful with fiction--nor was it designed to cover fiction.

If you want help with grammar or usage, it's not the place to look.

Pippi

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm not near a library. I've got nearly everything here except a library :p

I'll have a look at St. Martin's.

Thanks everyone :)

Deleted member 42

Unfortunately, I'm not near a library. I've got nearly everything here except a library :p

I'll have a look at St. Martin's.

Thanks everyone :)

Look for any handbook designed for undergraduate comp classes that appeals to you.

Look at used bookstores; handbooks, St. Martins, A Writer's Reference, The Little Brown Handbook, etc., are generally sold as text books, with the assumption that they'll be re-sold to another student, so the cover prices are excessive.

CMS is really written for use by editors, rather than writers, outside of rather narrow specialties.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Very early editions are pretty good. Later editions stink on ice. No edition is much good for a fiction writer.

Depending on what you're writing, Strunk & White or the AP Stylebook are more than enough. AP is not very complicated, and I haven't found any book that makes answering any question you have easier.

Most of the other guides have so much stuff in them that the average writer will never need that all you really find between the covers is confusion.

Pippi

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, I have Strunk and White. Gotta dust it off.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on what you're writing, Strunk & White or the AP Stylebook are more than enough.
Add the NY Times Manual of Style and Usage and you have plenty (Sorry, Journalism background speaking...).

Besides, Strunk and White is like $2.99 on Kindle. :)

Jeff

Deleted member 42

Add the NY Times Manual of Style and Usage and you have plenty (Sorry, Journalism background speaking...).

Besides, Strunk and White is like $2.99 on Kindle. :)

Jeff

That's the ancient published-as-a-pamphlet public domain version; "updated" by someone you've never heard of. It's not what people think of as Strunk and White.

That's this version in print

The Elements of Style. 4th edition

There isn't an authoritative "real" edition for the Kindle.

AnnaPappenheim

"Quod me alit, me extinguit."
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I found it helpful! I was on the fence about buying The Chicago Manual of Style, but read through this thread and just ordered it. I have The Elements of Style and do find it invaluable. It's actually in my top ten of best books ever written on writing :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The Purdue OWL is a free on-line grammar/punctuation/style site that is highly detailed and excellent. It also contains detailed information, full of examples, of the MLA and APA formats for academic writing. It is run by the same people who put out the Pearson MyCompLab Composition service for students registered in certain courses, and includes a large e-text covering the same material, with associated readings and other materials. That, of course, gets involved with the cost of course tuition and fees. But the OWL (On-Line Writing Lab) has the basics, and is quite detailed as well.

All that said, the Chicago Manual of Style is much more useful for academic writers than it is for writers of more informal stuff, like fiction. For the latter, you need to develop your own manual of style.

caw

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, blackbird! I appreciate the advice and the recommendation to OWL. I've come across that website before and bookmarked it, but forgot about it. Good to know its use and how helpful it is, thank you!

I'm currently helping out with a non-fiction history book, so, for me, I think I need all the technical help I can get!

penguin girl

Registered
Reaction score
The Chicago Manual of Style is an invaluable resource in certain situations, as blackbird noted above.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, penguin girl, I'm looking forward to reading it!

Just remember that the last version said some very different things, and the next version will change, as well. CMOS is just not the best choice for writers. Pubishers, yes, it can be invaluable, but for writers, there are better options.

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, gotcha Jamesaritchie, thanks! What would you recommend for writers?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, my publisher refers me to CMOS for a great many things I consider optional or stylistic matters. I'm sure they realize it's not intended for fiction, but it's probably the most thorough and complete reference work.

If there's a rule in CMOS, they want me to follow it unless there's a compelling reason not to, like the mistake appearing in dialogue.

Maryn, just sayin'

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Maryn and ironmikezero, good to know!

Maryn, that's helpful what your publisher wants you to do. I'm self-publishing, so I don't have anyone to guide me on what to reference (not one "go to" person anyhow-- I do have all of you at the forum though :) ).

I did order the laminated sheet as well as the actual manual, figured it would be a good quick reference, plus you're right, ironmikezero, it's only a few dollars. Thanks for the link though!

Deleted member 42

They have CMOS at the public library. Wait until you have someone directing you to CMOS before you buy a copy. A new edition comes out about every two years.