The NFL 2012 Season

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Hail to the Redskins,
Hail to Victory,
Braves on the Warpath,
Fight for ol' D C...

You have a helluva QB in Griffin. Heisman winner, so maybe no big surprise to you. I like the way he handles the ball behind the line of scrimmage and follows through on his fakes. Gets the defense leaning the wrong way for just a second or two but that can make the difference. Great arm, can run, should make for a very interesting Redskin season. Also, your defense kept Brees on defense all day. Skins look good! Great game to kick off my armchair NFL season. Congrats!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Redskins 40, Saints 32.

Looked scary for the Redskins at times once the Saints found their rhythm, but the Skins defense held and the offense put points on the board in each quarter. As a matter of fact, they put 10 points per quarter, which happens to be RG3's number...10

Looks like the Super Bowl Champs, the NY Giants, are now at the bottom of the NFC east because the Eagles won 17-16. I hate the eagles as much as I do the Cowboys.

I think the NFC east is going to be a tight battle all year...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
How'd our boy, Jay do?

Now he's got a decent O line in front of him, he did pretty well! Horrible pick in the first few minutes for the first Colt's TD, but after that did very little wrong.

And we have two wide recievers! We actually have two blokes that can catch a ball thrown a long distance! Finally!

We've always had a defence but this year we might actually have an offence! So... who knows!

I'm getting over-excited. Far too many exclamation marks in the above. Sorry.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Now he's got a decent O line in front of him, he did pretty well! Horrible pick in the first few minutes for the first Colt's TD, but after that did very little wrong.

And we have two wide recievers! We actually have two blokes that can catch a ball thrown a long distance! Finally!

We've always had a defence but this year we might actually have an offence! So... who knows!

I'm getting over-excited. Far too many exclamation marks in the above. Sorry.

No, I understand, it's ok. But why does an English girl have such an attachment to an American football team? Just curious.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Like a lot of Brits, I fell in love with the Bears back in 1985. One the TV channels over here showed the whole season from start to Bowl. And it was really popular. We even had our own leagues. And the Bears were adopted as our team, sort of.

It died off for a while but lots of us of a certain age have an abiding love for Chicago.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Like a lot of Brits, I fell in love with the Bears back in 1985. One the TV channels over here showed the whole season from start to Bowl. And it was really popular. We even had our own leagues. And the Bears were adopted as our team, sort of.

It died off for a while but lots of us of a certain age have an abiding love for Chicago.

Very interesting, I didn't know that. I have the 49ers at Green Bay now. Niners up 13-7 at the end of the 2nd quarter. Another scorching day in Los Angeles, and I hate it! Especially once football season starts. It just ain't right! Definitely not "good football weather". Waiting for my team to take the field about 5:30pm my time. By then, the temperature should be down under 90 degrees.

Whoa! David Akers just kicked a 63 yard field goal to tie the NFL record. Niners up by nine.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
We're recording the game on NBC to watch tomorrow as it's not on here until one in the morning.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading where the NFL is seriously considering giving Britain an NFL team to be located in or around London. They say there is a fan base there.

The only thing I would wonder is how jet lag to or from the US would give a home team an advantage. That and broadcasting back to the states because of the time difference.

Still waiting for Canada to express interest in getting a NFL team. They have their own league and it has a good following, but its still not the NFL.

Give one to Denmark and then they could be the real Vikings...

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Some analyst have the 49'ers and Green Bay already picked for the NFC title game, with GB winning.

From the looks of it, the 49'ers may make those analyst rethink.

Still too early in the year to call title games. Too many things can happen...

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the American style football league in Europe? Pretty sure London had a team, Barcelona, I think.

Yeah, would be a rough trip for the away teams going to Europe. Especially the West Coast teams.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Some analyst have the 49'ers and Green Bay already picked for the NFC title game, with GB winning.

From the looks of it, the 49'ers may make those analyst rethink.

Still too early in the year to call title games. Too many things can happen...

Yeah, really, man. My only indulgence is to hope that the Steelers get into the playoffs. After that, it's anybody's season.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's been talked about since the first NFL game about 3 years ago. There is a huge fan base. It's sold out months before every year. But I think it is the logistics holding it up. Especially for West Coast teams. So it needs some working out. But it would be good if it could happen.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
We're recording the game on NBC to watch tomorrow as it's not on here until one in the morning.

About how many NFL games do you get in a given week?

In a typical week, LA only gets four, including Monday Night.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the American style football league in Europe? Pretty sure London had a team, Barcelona, I think.

It kind of died off during the 90s unfortunately. There just wasn't the funding.

But it's been played at a lot of Universities here the past few years.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
About how many NFL games do you get in a given week?

In a typical week, LA only gets four, including Monday Night.

Until this season, we got only one on the TV and two on the radio.

Now we are also getting the two Monday night games on the BBC. And Wednesday night games on the radio.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
There is also a story that the Jaguars will be playing 3 games a year over here from next year cos they can't fill their home ground. It will bring down season ticket prices for the fans.

Don't know how many they will sell here though. They are not that well known being a fairly new team. Might depend on who they are playing.

And I'm off to bed cos it's nearly midnight. See you all Monday!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
There is also a story that the Jaguars will be playing 3 games a year over here from next year cos they can't fill their home ground. It will bring down season ticket prices for the fans.

Don't know how many they will sell here though. They are not that well known being a fairly new team. Might depend on who they are playing.

And I'm off to bed cos it's nearly midnight. See you all Monday!

Ok, Miranda. Sleep well. And thanks for talking football.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
And Terry Bradshaw, after he'd retired he refused to go back to Pittsburgh for years. He talks about how bad it was for him in the early days, before he'd started to win the big games, and the press and the fans were united in their disdain (disgust) for him. It was on an off day, after a particularly bad week, after he'd been booed off the field once again and Terry had to get out. He got in his car and just drove, and he'd been driving for a long time. It was a beautiful, clear sunny day and he was quite a few miles out of town. The quiet was beginning to have its therapeutic effect when he stops at a rural traffic light. The birds are singing, the air is sweet, and the driver stopped along his side reaches over, rolls down his window, and, "BOOOOO!"

Cool story, Bebop. :)

DA BEARS!
:e2cheer::e2cheer:

41-21, Bears. :hooray:

Redskins 40, Saints 32.

Congrats. RG3 played well, and so did the Redskins defense.

Another cool story (and all the following posts that added to it). Thanks to the both of you for sharing. :)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Peyton looked pretty damn good in his first regular season game in a year and a half. Also, I certainly didn't mind seeing the Raven's top rival losing their first game of the season.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Peyton looked pretty damn good in his first regular season game in a year and a half. Also, I certainly didn't mind seeing the Raven's top rival losing their first game of the season.

I'd really love to discuss it. But I'm afraid I won't be coherent.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Please excuse my post last night- it was the intravenous morphine talking. No, really though, Peyton Manning was something to watch in that game. If that wasn't the performance of a pro, I've never seen one. Once he figured out what the Steeler defense was doing he was a chess master. It may have been a more interesting game if we had a healthy OL, or if Harrison, Clark, and Mendenhall were in there- or if Polamalu played his regular position, but I don't know.

Congratulations to bmadsen and Denver fans. Looks like Peyton will make it a very exciting season in Denver.

Steelers host the Jets next week. Jets beat the Bills by 20 yesterday.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RGIII was so damn good he makes me nervous as a Cowboys fan. And it was great to see Peyton back in action and looking like his old self.