• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
By mutual agreement Kensington and Samhain have dissolved our co-venture agreement. Current circumstances being what they do not make it conducive for the launch of a new print program. Once things settle we can revisit the idea of working together.

Imogen Howson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
imogenhowson.com
Details of what individual Samhain editors are looking for.

At Samhain Publishing, despite all the great books on our current publishing schedule, some of the editors have spaces to fill. They're looking for talented authors and quality manuscripts where "it's all about the story".

For details of the editors actively looking to acquire manuscripts, and the type of manuscripts they'd love to see, check out the list below.

Please also check http://www.samhainpublishing.com/submissions for full instructions on how to submit to Samhain Publishing, whether directly to an editor or to the general submissions inbox.

Note: If you have any general questions about submitting (such as which elements make a manuscript unacceptable to Samhain), please don’t email an individual editor. If you can't find the answer on our submissions page, please email the general submissions inbox—[email protected]—and our submissions coordinator will get back to you. Also, please don’t email the same manuscript to two Samhain editors at once!

The editors and what they want:
(Please note, all the following sub-genres must belong to the overall genre of romance. In the case of fantasy/urban fantasy/futuristic manuscripts, they need not be genre romances, but they must have strong romantic elements. Samhain Publishing also publishes all the sub-genres of erotica.)

Lindsey McGurk:
For me, it really is all about the story. I’m ready to be wowed by unique, structured, conflict-driven stories in ALL subgenres and am especially fond of reunited couples, friends-to-lovers tales, mistaken identity plots and road romances or adventures that keep characters on the move.

I love the unfulfilled tension of inspirationals, traditional Regencies and other sweet romances, but my wilder side also craves sizzling erotic romance and romantic erotica. To support Samhain’s commitment to unique and varied offerings, I’d love to see more books with exotic settings, historicals set in unusual time periods, and non-traditional character types. Short stories (of at least 12k) and novellas are very welcome at the moment, and I’m also hankering for fairytale and other classic retellings, screwball comedies, and superheroes.

But I also love the excitement of falling for stories I didn’t know I wanted—menages with BDSM play, ghost romances, shifter heroes and demon slayers (and thank goodness, or I wouldn’t get to work with fantastic authors like Mari Carr, Carolan Ivey, Mandy M. Roth or Sydney Somers)—so don’t be restricted by what I want, just make your best effort to win me over by emailing your submission to: [email protected].

Heidi Moore:
I’m looking for strong heroines and even stronger heroes. I’m particularly keen on cowboys, vamps and shifters in any setting you can make work. Fantasy or futuristic, down on the ranch or between urban high-rises, whether you have a traditional couple, an interesting threesome or a hot pair of manly men—it’s all about the story. ;-)

Some of my authors include Shiloh Walker, Jenna Bayley-Burke, Liz Craven, Ann Cory, NJ Walters, Evangeline Anderson and Ember Case. Email your manuscripts to Heidi at [email protected].

Deborah Nemeth:
Male/male romance is selling very well for Samhain right now, as are Red Hots, so those subs are always welcome. I'm eager to sign more authors who write Renaissance/Georgian/Regency/Victorian-set historicals—especially red-hot Regencies, Regency romantic comedy, Regency suspense, or paranormal Regencies.

I love paranormal romance but would like to see something other than vamps—witches, ghosts, djinns, genies, cat shifters, dragons, fallen angels, whatever—only because I already have quite a few authors writing vampire series. In general, I prefer fantasy in richly layered worlds over sci-fi or futuristic-set romances. Romantic suspense interests me if it's well-paced, with high tension, especially when the romantic conflict is deftly interwoven with the suspense plot.

When it comes to straight contemporary romance, I’m looking for deeply emotional stories with fresh premises and real external conflict—not stories that rely on the same old I-was-hurt-before-and-don’t-want-to-trust-my-heart-again for the sole conflict. And, last but not least, I’m a sucker for romantic comedy that makes me laugh out loud.
Email me at [email protected].

Laurie M. Rauch:
I’m looking first and foremost for a good story… a story that makes me laugh or makes me cry, but most of all makes me sigh at the end and know that two (or sometimes more…) people who were meant to be found each other and are happy.

I’m open to just about anything heat-wise, a good ménage (or more), BDSM, super-hot, a closed door or anything in between. I’m particularly looking for paranormals, urban fantasy, romantic comedy, romantic suspense, Red Hots or contemporary romance. And, you get to be a part of the Geekery!

Queries, questions, and submissions can be sent to [email protected].

Anne Scott:
I love to edit a variety of different subgenres.
1) Shapeshifters. Werewolves, absolutely, but I enjoy other shifters, including cats, selkies, and anything that you can make work!
2) I adore m/m romance from red hot to closed door. If you have tamer m/m romances, I'd be excited to read them. I'd also love to see an f/f romance.
3) Romantic suspense requires a careful hand to keep both the romance and suspense strong. Ideally the romance and suspense are balanced and interdependent as they build together towards the book's ending.
4) Interracial/Multicultural. I'd love to see heroes and heroines from different backgrounds, cultures and/or races. In any subgenre.
5) Fantasy romance or fantasy with romantic elements. Take me away to a place that is different, with strong, fresh, intriguing world-building. Magic, other worlds, other beings, psychic powers. Show me something new!
6) Menage. I want menage that explores the emotional growth when three people are involved in a romance. It should be hot, yes. But three can make it complicated emotionally, and that is what intrigues me.

I’ve edited books by Cathryn Fox, Sami Lee, Mary Wine, Linda Winfree, Moira Rogers and Emily Veinglory. I’d be happy to receive submissions directly at [email protected].

Sasha Knight here. One of my authors (I’m looking at you, Ms. Ally Blue) has appointed me the title The Editor Queen of Samhain’s Gay Romance. I do love the manlove, and edit such fantastic authors as the aforementioned Ally Blue, J.L. Langley, K.A. Mitchell, Joely Skye, Josh Lanyon, Jordan Castillo Price, Claire Thompson, Z.A. Maxfield and many others. I’m always on the lookout for more gay fiction.

But that’s not all! I love urban fantasy, paranormal romance, contemporary romance, action-adventure suspense romances and space opera romances (sci-fi/futuristic with lots of action and romance), all with any level of sexual heat you want to throw at me. There’s plenty of room in my 2009 release calendar, and I’d love to see what you have to offer me.
Email me at [email protected].

Angela James:
I’m probably the busiest of the editors, since I’m also the Executive Editor, so I’m throwing my info out there only for those who for some reason are interested in working with me in particular, even knowing I’ll be a busy editor. Since I trained them, I highly recommend all of the editors, you can’t go wrong with their skill, dedication and passion. They’re the reason Samhain’s books are outstanding.

I’m happy to edit just about any romance genre. I’ve been reading it since I was in fourth grade, I’ve learned to love everything about romance. But I’m also an avid fan of science fiction, fantasy, and urban fantasy, in both my pleasure reading and my editing. I edit about 60 Samhain authors including Lilith Saintcrow, Jaci Burton, Deidre Knight, Lorelei James and Lauren Dane.

Right now, I would particularly like m/m (any time period or heat level), futuristic romance, urban fantasy, and hot contemporary romance. However, I do edit in all genres across the board (though I’m a really tough sell on romantic suspense) and have a good number of bestselling books and authors at Samhain, in a variety of genres.

You can email me at [email protected] but please, please, please read the submissions guidelines first!

Other acquiring editors not listed:
Bethany Morgan
Tera Kleinfelter
Linda Ingmanson

Posted by Imogen Howson, Submissions Coordinator, Samhain Publishing (email: [email protected])

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Call for Submissions: Space Opera Anthology

Samhain recently announced a call for submissions for a space opera anthology it will release in 2010.

I also had the pleasure of interviewing Managing Editor Sasha Knight who is spearheading the project.

If you write stories that combine SF, romance, and action/adventure stories like FIREFLY or BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, then this opportunity is for you.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Samhain recently announced a call for submissions for a space opera anthology it will release in 2010.

I also had the pleasure of interviewing Managing Editor Sasha Knight who is spearheading the project.

If you write stories that combine SF, romance, and action/adventure stories like FIREFLY or BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, then this opportunity is for you.
I'd better start figuring out how to write romance into my space opera... :)

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score

Is she related to Deidre Knight?

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
How firm is the "do not resubmit after an anthology submission" policy? I understand the argument re flooding the market, but would a resubmission be considered after a reasonable amount of time?

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
How firm is the "do not resubmit after an anthology submission" policy? I understand the argument re flooding the market, but would a resubmission be considered after a reasonable amount of time?

I'm thinking they are pretty firm about it:

Please be aware that manuscripts submitted to this anthology cannot be resubmitted at a later date unless by invitation from an editor.

Keep in mind that they might have a database of prior submissions.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score

Firm. Even though we might not choose a submission for an anthology, if we think it might fit within the schedule or be to another editor's taste, we pass it on for another look. Just as an example, the last anthology I did, I contracted three books for the anthology, but sent close to 15, at least, for a second look by other editors. A couple of those did get picked up. So the resubmission isn't because of flooding the market, but because it's already been rejected, we've looked at it not just in terms of the anthology or one editor, but in terms of the company's needs in general, and we don't have time to look at previously rejected work unless we specifically request it.

Hope that clears up both your question and the why of it!

xangel

Registered
Reaction score
m/m submissions

I've seen Samhain requesting more m/m submissions recently in a number of different places. Given this increased interest to get more, are the editors giving them any priority when reading subs?

What is the average response time currently for subs for non-Samhain authors?

Thanks.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen Samhain requesting more m/m submissions recently in a number of different places. Given this increased interest to get more, are the editors giving them any priority when reading subs?

What is the average response time currently for subs for non-Samhain authors?

Thanks.

The only authors who get priority are those who currently write for us. Most of us try to read in order of how the submissions come in, otherwise we'd have to change our response time to much longer if we were always giving something else priority. I will say, though, that a shorter submission probably has a better chance at a shorter response time, because they're a lot easier to slip in to read in between editing and other duties (100k+ take much more time and focus to read).

Response time is 10 to 12 weeks, sometimes shorter depending, again, on the length of the work and the editor it gets in front of (one editor might have more in queue than another, or more time to read at some point).

xangel

Registered
Reaction score
Angela,
Thank you for the information.
Would it be appropriate to check with the editor after 10 weeks? I sent a sub directly to a Samhain editor.

Thanks.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Angela,
Thank you for the information.
Would it be appropriate to check with the editor after 10 weeks? I sent a sub directly to a Samhain editor.

Thanks.

Assuming you got confirmation of receipt from the editor, I suggest waiting the 12 weeks and then emailing. If you never got confirmation of receipt from editor, then it's probably wise to email now.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
There was a question about turnaround time a few posts up so I thought I'd offer my two cents. I sent a targeted submission to an editor after reading the editor-specific calls above (well, actually, I saw them on Romance Divas but it's the same notice) and received a response (contract offer) in less than 6 weeks. Fabulous turnaround time as far as I'm concerned!

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
...For details of the editors actively looking to acquire manuscripts, and the type of manuscripts they'd love to see, check out the list below...

Anyone know if this awesome editorial list is still valid? I know it hasn't been long since it was posted here, but I know editorial change is a constant in publishing. I'm fixing to get ready to submit something to Samhain (gulp!), and would rather not send it out to "Dear Editor" if I can avoid it.

Thanks! :)

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know if this awesome editorial list is still valid? I know it hasn't been long since it was posted here, but I know editorial change is a constant in publishing. I'm fixing to get ready to submit something to Samhain (gulp!), and would rather not send it out to "Dear Editor" if I can avoid it.

Thanks! :)

Yep, still valid!

Regina Harvey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reginaharvey.com
YA at Samhain

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Samhain and their YA line? Has it been selling well? Has anyone spotted any in their Borders or elsewhere? Who is the current editor for YA, or does it vary, and what YA genres are they currently looking for? I did spend some time on the website, but hoped for "insider" info here. Thanks.

Just checked again after reading this forum back a few more pages, and it looks like they're no longer accepting YA. Any info on if this will change would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
Which would be the best editor to address for Paranormal Romance?