Techno techno techno

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm starting my research on my next novel and I need some recommendations for music! The novel is set in a nightclub that plays an invented variation of techno. I'm looking for real-world artists and tracks for inspiration and reference.

Now, I'm not that up on electronic genres. I know what I like :rolleyes: but I may get stuck on exact terminology. Please bear with me... :)

The aesthetic at play is synthetic above all. This is not funky house. This is machine music with perfectly quantized beats.

That also means vocals should be either absent or not the focus here. This is not easy listening music. It's cold, dark, and clinical. A beat like a sledgehammer, 140-160 bpm, with no let up.

But there should be some atmosphere to it, not just bass and a beat. Ethereal pads, stabbing leads, and reverb-laced FX are all welcome. If it's something you could imagine playing over a Blade Runner cityscape, or while Hunter-Killers crush skulls under their steel tracks, you're in the right area.

The closest reference I have aesthetically is from DnB - in that world, we're at the intersection of tech step and neurofunk. Artists like Black Sun Empire, Teebee, Mindscape, Cause4Concern, and Optiv are the right area.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I just noticed you were calling something a bit more harder than what I provided. This is a bit harder because a lot of current stuff is about the ripping tieums or if it doesn't, it relents. However, I can recommend some older sets like the Spiral Tribe or Koretex sets.

Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KJqJW3FkUE

Some more recent stuff, check out the Scottish artist Fracture4. His sets have got that tieum going on but keeps it going. But listen to the other Twisted Darkside Podcasts. Artists like Liquid Blasted are also very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qCIGgd8wSc

Then there is the acidcore which often lacks the ethereal touch, but has that classic blood rave sound. We're talking abour record labels like DropBass Network. A lot of this is connected to Koretex and SpiralTribe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YthK1UKcixM

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Thanks, Xelebes, I'll have a listen to those.

I've not heard the term "tieum" before - can you enlighten me?

Cheers!

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Tieum refers to the ripping, overdriven 909 kick + bass. It is onomatopoeia, taken from Belgium. The artist Tieum exemplifies this sound. It is also known as a Radium Kick, from DJ Radium's famous early ventures into the sound.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I can hear what you mean in the Fracture4 set. It's a distinct sound from the gabber- and old-skool HXC-style overdriven 808 kick, isn't it? Got a bit more of a roll to it.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, never managed to get an 808 to do that sound. Mostly it is an Atari ST chipset (YM2149) with a 909.

Here is my (faster) attempts at the sound, produced around 2006 or 2007:

Xelebes - Prairie Syndrome

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Also, if you wanted something slightly more cinematic, it doesn't scream bloodrunner or crushing tire tracks, but more reactor-punk (throwing words together here), try Mr. Gasmask.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Finally got around to listening to some of this stuff - thanks once again for the recs, Xelebes.

There were moments in things like the Fracture4 set that were pretty much bang on, and I was happy to hear some of Aphex Twin's SAW II tracks with a beat underneath them in the Ursula Frequency set I caught - that was pretty much how I'd first described the style in my early notes, before I codified it a bit more.

Overall, though, there's a dirtiness to the production styles on those genres that isn't quite right. Using those references as jumping off points, it appears that what I'm thinking of has the timbre of tech trance - clean, digital, well-produced - with the musical content of the darkcore you linked - textural, less melodic, none of the trance features like breakdowns and rushes. So some sort of hybrid.

I think I've got enough to work with for now - probably the next step is to fire up Cubase and lay down some tracks in the style I'm imagining, then see if those spark any new recommendations.

Thanks!

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I remember there being an experiment from Germany around 2004-2005 with "Speedtrance." The output was only big enough to fit only one or two albums (around 20 tracks), that while it is a bit faster than your target (155-170 bpm), held true to the older German trance format as opposed to the big Dutch format that was happening. That is, very synth-heavy, easy on the arpeggios, reluctant to use breakdowns. It also differed from British Trancecore with the avoidance of ripping kicks and Finnish Freeform which was faster (160-200 bpm) than Speedtrance.

Very difficult to track down nowadays but it might be worthwhile to see if you can get any pointers on TranceAddict.