Music Licensing

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about this, been down this block before?

Licensing for movies, TV, commercials, etc?

Love to hear anything anybody has on it. Any direction at all.

Thanks so much in advance.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Hi cornflake, thanks for the reply. Inquiring for two close friends, one's a current member of ASCAP, the other one's not. The one who is cut a few albums back in the mid to late 90's, mostly original songs. One of those songs was used in a TV show that didn't last more than a season or two. But he kind of fell into that. A fellow musician suggested he send a few of his songs to an independent music supervisor, and one was used. That lady has since passed, and so we're looking for another way in.

For other songwriters out there. You wouldn't believe what they pay for this kind of thing. The song was used in a bar scene for 20 or 30 seconds, and you could buy a nice used car.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Hi bookmaker. A little late to the conversation, but I'm a professional working musician. :) It's gotten a lot harder to get into movies and TV shows today. I'm not sure what it was like in the 90s because I was a toddler then, but the music industry is so saturated at the moment, and it's only getting worse. It's almost impossible to get into TV or movies if you're not represented. Does your friend have a manager or booking agent?

As your friend knows, connections and networking are the magic key. :) That's usually why we hire agents- for their connections.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Hi bookmaker. A little late to the conversation, but I'm a professional working musician. :) It's gotten a lot harder to get into movies and TV shows today. I'm not sure what it was like in the 90s because I was a toddler then, but the music industry is so saturated at the moment, and it's only getting worse. It's almost impossible to get into TV or movies if you're not represented. Does your friend have a manager or booking agent?

As your friend knows, connections and networking are the magic key. :) That's usually why we hire agents- for their connections.

Yeah, I agree. No, he doesn't. He's a jazz player, so not the most commercial style, but he's played some big rooms. Ha, speaking of big rooms, he even opened for George Benson in a coliseum in France a few years back. We're close, we used to work together, and in fact one of his songs that were trying to get licensed was titled after me. So, you know, of course I wanna help in any way I can :)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I guess what I think I understand about it, is you have to get to a music supervisor. one that either works for a TV show or I guess Ad Agency ?, or is an independent. But I don't know how many are independent or what % of the work they represent.