Okay 'fess up: do you get goosebumps?

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Chrissy, I really like that video. If google wasn't being a butt and scrounging for personal info, I could have added it to my favorites.

I get goosebumbs from music when I can feel the performer's/composer's emotions. That's why I love Tartini's Devil's Trill. So many emotions and even the frustration that the song never ended up the way he heard in his head.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
This is one of the doozies, for me. Auditory and visual.... warning, overload may cause leakage! :D

From the comments:

"Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!" JK Rowling.

What struck me, watching this video, as the crowd gathers in the square, is that music unites us in our common human sentiment because that's from which it was born. I've had this thought before and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but music like all art, reminds us what's important in life. So often we're caught up in the bullshit, the small stuff. But art reminds us that there's a higher consciousness that's a part of us all, but that too often gets lost in the logistics of what it means to survive in a material world. If there's a God, he gave us the power to create and appreciate art so that we would never forget, not for too long anyway, what we have the potential to be.

God, i sound so full of shit, but i think it's what I really mean.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe it can be may things.

Xelebes - I think you're right. A person's emotional state at the time can definitely determine how the song affects someone.

The song Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift gets me every single time because I think about my daughter growing up. Sometimes I think about my childhood with my sisters and brother and how sad it is that we aren't all as close as we were. I don't even talk to my brother.

I also maintain the conviction of the singer. If I can tell he/she just means every single word, feels every single word as though he/she is singing it for the first time...my heart just catches in my throat.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I think that's why I love Flyleaf so much. Lacey Sturm has been through a lot, and every word she sings is a product of those experiences. She also has a unique voice that can be powerful and vulnerable, without sounding perfect and overly manufactured. Girl can scream too. This song is one of the best for showcasing her range both vocally and stylistically.

And here's another of my favorite songs by them. I mean, I could link to a dozen "favorites", but whenever I hear this one in particular, I have to stop what I'm doing and let myself just feel. When she sings "Arise, and be all that you dreamed" ... *shudder*

D.A Watson

Writer of Wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.co.uk
Music's my other great love besides writing, and yep, I get the goosebumps and the occasional misting of the eye! Couple of tunes that do it for me...

Green Fields of France. Extremely sad song about an unknown soldier who died in WW1. Various artists have played this tune, including the Dropkick Murphys.

Lullaby for the Taken - Kimya Dawson. The lyrics about her grandma would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I just thought of another - "Hurt" by Johnnie Cash. Wow. Goosebump city.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I love flashmob vids - the awe on the faces of the public, and the fact they're all united for a little while in wonder really makes me tear up.

I find choral music can do this to me - most annoying for a Heathen like me! Other music makes me soar somehow. AC/DC 'Thunderstruck' and Pantera 'Walk' just make me grin to myself uncontrollably - I must look a bit of a loon with my earbuds in.

Kashmirgirl1976

Recouping My Lost Marbles
Registered
Reaction score
If the song's good and I feel it to the core, yes I cry and develop goosebumps. I get these feelings, in particular, when I sense nostalgia or some past relation (e.g. love, death, childhood). That's when I note a good tune.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, a lot depends on who's doing the song. The same song sung or performed by different people with totally different effect can be startling. I've been cajoled recently into watching some of these singing shows, American Idol, The Voice. Some of these singers have been gifted with great voices, but so many of them don't have the first idea what the song is about. Part of it is an age thing.