Co-Authoring Without Getting Frustrated, Lost, or Screwed

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Barging in to the thread because it's something I have experience with. (Co-authored a dozen books with two separate writing partners (Anne Cain & Aleks Voinov)).

I really enjoyed it and think it helps to "think alike" as much as possible so you'll both be on the same wavelength in regards to general plot direction and characters.

What worked for us was having a loose idea of the storyline then one person starting off and continuing for a chapter or so until they ran out of steam or time then the other person picking it up and so on.

The only real problem I've encountered is my brain getting accustomed to passing the scene off when I got stuck.

I've had a hell of a time writing anything solo because Its hard for me to "get unstuck" without the inspiration of where the other person took thigns and left me to continue.

But overall, It was fun and I'd love to co-author again.

BTW neither partner and I had any formal written agreement. And *knock wood* there haven't been any real incidents where I wished we'd had one.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The only real problem I've encountered is my brain getting accustomed to passing the scene off when I got stuck.

I've had a hell of a time writing anything solo because Its hard for me to "get unstuck" without the inspiration of where the other person took thigns and left me to continue.

I've had the same problem. It was odd to get used to "I'm stuck - your turn!", and now with my solo stuff, I'm like "I'm stuck - it's your...awww."

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I've had the same problem. It was odd to get used to "I'm stuck - your turn!", and now with my solo stuff, I'm like "I'm stuck - it's your...awww."

This times 1,000,000 for me. I thought going back to the YA stuff that I always puttered with "just for me/fun" would help, but no. *sigh*

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I know this is an old thread, but I have a question.

How do you go about writing dialog when co-authoring?

I've started a project with another author. We will each write a chapter in our characters POV. I'm writing for the female MC, he's writing for the male MC. We've just started, only have half of the first chapter written and I'm wondering how to tackle dialog once our characters are in a scene together.

Any advice?

BTW, this thread is great, very informative! :)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com

No worries! If anyone has questions or wants to discuss co-authoring, feel free to keep this thread going or revive it whenever it goes quiet.

I've started a project with another author. We will each write a chapter in our characters POV. I'm writing for the female MC, he's writing for the male MC. We've just started, only have half of the first chapter written and I'm wondering how to tackle dialog once our characters are in a scene together.

Any advice?

That's how Cat Grant and I write -- alternating chapters. It gets easier the more you get a feel for the other character's voice, but basically, you just write the dialogue as you think they would interact, and then have your co-author read it over. If anything doesn't ring true, tweak as needed. As long as you know both characters pretty well, writing dialogue between them isn't too hard, and any issues can be fixed during revisions.

Good luck!

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
No worries! If anyone has questions or wants to discuss co-authoring, feel free to keep this thread going or revive it whenever it goes quiet.

That's how Cat Grant and I write -- alternating chapters. It gets easier the more you get a feel for the other character's voice, but basically, you just write the dialogue as you think they would interact, and then have your co-author read it over. If anything doesn't ring true, tweak as needed. As long as you know both characters pretty well, writing dialogue between them isn't too hard, and any issues can be fixed during revisions.

Good luck!

Ok that makes sense lol
Thank you so much!!

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Hello, darling. :D I'm getting ready to co-write a book(alternate chapters/POV-I get to be the dude) with an author friend in the next few months and I was wondering how you drew up the 'prewriting' contract. Meaning is there a form contract I can find out there somehow to modify, or did you just draw one up on your own.

Just like good fences make good neighbors, good contracts make good co-authors. :p -I need more coffee-

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Hello, darling. :D I'm getting ready to co-write a book(alternate chapters/POV-I get to be the dude) with an author friend in the next few months and I was wondering how you drew up the 'prewriting' contract. Meaning is there a form contract I can find out there somehow to modify, or did you just draw one up on your own.

Just like good fences make good neighbors, good contracts make good co-authors. :p -I need more coffee-

To my knowledge, there isn't a form out there -- really all you need is a written agreement that you've both signed. It doesn't have to be terribly formal, or notarized or anything like that, as long as it spells out what everyone agrees to. Who gets what in a divorce, intentions regarding publication (and backup plans in case that falls through), what happens when rights revert, etc.

Good luck with the project!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Actually, there is such a form. One of the handy things about two paralegals deciding to co-author. :) I don't really agree a formal agreement isn't necessary. The potential for so many things comes up that if a dispute happens, it's good to have guidance. That "formal" stuff can keep it from getting ugly.

I'll PM you, Ann.

Any advice?

BTW, this thread is great, very informative!

Another way you can work the co-author thing is a "lead author/secondary author" technique that I use with my co-author. A number of other co-authors do the same thing, such as the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child novels. How it works is the lead author writes the entire book. The second author then has a free hand to go in and add, delete, change text or add/delete chapters. This allows for the freedom of expression of both people and the ability to spark off the dialogue on the page to fine-tune.

Of course, this method requires you to have utter faith in your co-author to make the book better, and confidence in the strength of your own writing to make good choices in editing what the other person writes.

Last edited:

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Actually, there is such a form. One of the handy things about two paralegals deciding to co-author. :) I don't really agree a formal agreement isn't necessary. The potential for so many things comes up that if a dispute happens, it's good to have guidance. That "formal" stuff can keep it from getting ugly.

I'll PM you, Ann.

Can you PM me that form too? :D
Thank you!!

spice.fiction

Altered the default user title
Registered
Reaction score
I've been co-authoring a story with few interns. They each work on a chapter at a time. I maintain control over the overall story and provide them with an outline. They are all female, currently, and I am male; it have provided some interesting perspective. I still have to oversee every detail, but the work goes much faster.

This particular book lends itself well to this process. Its about a photographer who seduces his models, and each chapter chronicles a particular "conquest" of his. So its a bit like a series of short stories.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I've been co-authoring a story with few interns. They each work on a chapter at a time. I maintain control over the overall story and provide them with an outline. They are all female, currently, and I am male; it have provided some interesting perspective. I still have to oversee every detail, but the work goes much faster.

This particular book lends itself well to this process. Its about a photographer who seduces his models, and each chapter chronicles a particular "conquest" of his. So its a bit like a series of short stories.

That doesn't sound so much like co-authoring as write-for-hire (That is, you are not co-creating with these women, you're hiring them to work on chapters of a story you created).

The book I am co-writing with a fellow author is very much a joint endeavor. We outlined together, we world-built together, and while we do write sections individually, we're going to both edit each other's work.

spice.fiction

Altered the default user title
Registered
Reaction score
That doesn't sound so much like co-authoring as write-for-hire (That is, you are not co-creating with these women, you're hiring them to work on chapters of a story you created)..

You're right in the sense that there is asymmetry in the relationships. I do feel like they have as much, if not more, creative input as I do. They will be listed in the final work as authors. The main reason I thought sharing my situation might help, is that I don't have to send out the whole book -- but maybe that is too outside the realm of what the OP is looking for.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Apropos of nothing that I will go into detail about here...

3. How do you avoid getting screwed?

Quite simply? GET IT IN WRITING.

We've all had friendships and partnerships go sour. Even when you think it's perfect and awesome, you just never know what can happen down the line. I refer you to the divorce rate as proof.

When a writing partnership goes sour, it can get ugly. Crit partnerships falling apart are bad enough. When you're actually writing something together? Things can get sticky, and there can even be legal issues.

It doesn't hurt to have actual legal agreements drawn up.

Remember that co-writing is a business arrangement, and should be treated as such. COVER. YOUR. ASS.

...get it in writing.

Last edited: