1st books were explicit, the next one is tame will my readers be disappointed?

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I am writing a series that started out as paranormal romance but ended up being erotic paranormal romance. The first two books that are out now are really explicit. My current WIP (the third in this series) is very tame. So far only one sex scene and it's very PG. (It's a novella) It's just how this story played out and I'd rather not force a scene but I'm worried. My concern is after reading my first two books my readers will expect erotica and this book is certainly not erotica. Will it disappoint or turn off my readers? I have about two more chapters to write and I am at a point in the story where my MC's are about to have sex again so I can put in a hot scene there but I'm not sure I want to. Any advice?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be worried, too.

Readers who buy your latest because they enjoyed the eroticism of the earlier works in the series are sure to be disappointed. You've changed the nature of the series. Authors are expected to maintain the same tone and such throughout a series, and you're not.

If this were my series, I would not publish the current WIP as part of it.

This is, of course, just one person's opinion--but I've stopped more than one series cold when the author forgot to write the content which had kept be reading up to that point.

Might it be possible to add sexual content in the next draft? Or make this a work set in the same world but of a different type, by an author whose name is a variant of Celeste Carrara, so it doesn't mislead but the savvy reader knows it's you?

Maryn, hoping something can work out

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hi, Celeste.

Some writers split their genres/heat levels between pen names. That's what my agent and I settled on. The really gritty and explicit stuff, generally but not limited to m/m, will be published under one name. The more mainstream fantasy will be published under another name.

I have learned that I cannot force sex scenes into a mms where the characters don't want them.

In your case, I'd worry about finishing the mms first, then figuring out what to do with it. It may surprise you.

greeneyes

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be very disappointed if the third book of the series I was reading had markedly less erotica than the first two books, and I'd probably be less inclined to read a fourth book in the series.

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
I have to agree with the others. People who are reading erotica are reading it for the steamy parts and not getting those definitely defies expectations in a bad way.

Rise2theTop

To Live the Dream, Ya Gotta Feel It
Registered
Reaction score
I gotta admit, while I'm sure I'd enjoy the story without, there would a disappointment factor lingering in the background for me too.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Thank you all! I finished the last two chapters and added in a hot scene that certainly is very erotic! lol As I start the editing process I will amp up the first sex scene too. Thanks again for the help!

CharleeBeck

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I'd be disappointed. Stories are supposed to escalate with every passing book, not get tamer.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Well since it's a series, set in the same world and with the same characters, I'm not sure writing it with a different name would work. If I read books 1 and 2 of a trilogy, and the third never appeared, I'd wonder what happened to it. And a stand-alone novel by a new author that's not really stand alone, well...

I think the decision to offer a similar heat level is probably good. Even if it's not primarily erotica, but a romantic story with some hot scenes, it would feel strange if the bedroom door were shut in my face now.