R.I.P. Phil Everly

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Phil Everly, the older of the two Everly Brothers, prominent pop duo in the late 1950s/early 1960s, has died at age 74.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=845735

Solid and influential duo of singers, great harmony stuff, a string of cleverly-written hits in their heyday ("Bye Bye Love", "All I Have to Do Is Dream", "Wake Up Little Susie", "Bird Dog"). Much like Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison, they wrote their own stuff, which many pop idols did not do in the time period.

caw

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that's a shame.

My sister had a cigarette butt tossed to the floor by Phil Everly on her bulletin board for years. For all I know, she has it still. As I recall it, she used a fake ID to get into the club where the Everly Brothers were playing. She was probably 16 or 17 at the time, and fairly wild.

Maryn, surprised at the staid law-and-order person her sister became

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
So glad there's a thread for him.

When I was nine (or close) my dad and older brother took me to an Everly Brothers concert for my birthday. I remember meeting both Phil and Don afterwards, being introduced as their youngest fan (as this was in the nineties, I probably was unusually young). They were lovely.

I still have their autographs. I used to sing their songs all the time - I even entered a talent show as a kid, singing Let it Be Me. In fact, last night in the bath I was singing some of their songs to myself - which is odd, as I hadn't in some time.

They had a massive impact on my childhood. RIP Phil, you'll be missed. My thoughts go out to Don.

Last edited: