"The Decision"

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My 14-year-old calico kitty, Lady, seems to have stopped eating. She has gone from 11 lbs to about 8 over the last few months.

I feel bad, but I didn't even notice her weight loss until she started using the carpet instead of her litter box. She's very fluffy, so her weight loss isn't noticable until you really feel her bony hips.

She's 14. I know cats can live years beyond that, but she's old. She has had obvious pain in her joints for a while now.

She's also the sweetest, best natured animal I've ever known. She curls up between me and my husband every night--under the covers if it's cold.

We're going to the vet in about an hour. I expect I'm going to have to make that final decision.

I don't wanna.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
{{{{Myrea}}}}

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
All my prayers and best wishes, no matter what the situation demands.

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
Will think of you both. Definitely good to keep in mind her quality of life and how much pain she might be in. Hopefully this is just Old Age Problems creeping in, and she only needs some light kitty painkillers.

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:( I'm so sorry to hear that, Myrealana. My thoughts are with you and sweet calico Lady. :Hug2:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
The vet had 3 options.

The needle.
$800 worth of tests that might not tell us anything, followed by even more tests.
Try her on some oral steroids and special food for IBD and re-evaluate in a month.

It was really a no-brainier. We will try treating the symptoms, and if she gets better and feels like herself again, all is well.

If not... Well. At least we can preserve her dignity and the kids will have some time to come to terms with it.

Thanks, all, for the good wishes.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
That sounds like a sadly-familiar vet trip...

Do your best for her, give her hugs and take your pictures and say what needs saying. Whatever happens, it sounds like she's had a good life with your family.

Fingers crossed that she has more years to share with you.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Did the vet check her teeth? I ask because long ago, our 16 year old kitty had an abscess above a rear molar. She couldn't eat even soft food and constantly vomited. One dental surgery later and she lived another 4 healthy, happy years.

I wish upon you a simple solution so your eventual choice is long into the future. :Hug2:

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Thanks, Cathy. Yes, the vet did check her teeth. They also drew blood and urine to check those, just in case.

The vet is not hopeful. With the extreme weight loss, she thinks Lady probably has lymphoma, but it doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of dollars for the ultrasound, because even if it's positive, the prognosis for a cat her age on chemotherapy isn't good.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, Myrea.

Sending good thoughts your way that the medicine works and your kitty is restored to health.

P.S. And good for you for being so sensible about the costs. I know several people who spent up to $5,000 only to have an elderly pet pass on anyway. It is smart to be prepared to accept the end of their natural days when it comes time. Best wishes.

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry. :( It's tough when you've known the animal for 14 years.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm sorry. It's so hard to have to do this, even when it's clear it's the best thing to do. The years go by so darned fast :( My thoughts are with you. I lost a kitty to lymphoma, and he just went downhill so fast there was nothing we could do for him.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I was reading over old threads and noticed this post from over a year ago.

Do you know, that silly cat is still hanging around?
B9--rzWCIAAGU9w.jpg

The vet is, frankly, stumped. She stopped losing weight, but hasn't regained any. Nothing we tried seemed to make any difference, but she just keeps hanging in there.

She doesn't have much energy, and she doesn't put up with the dog's shenanigans any more, but there's no reason to think she can't go on like this for several more years. She's not in pain. She eats enough to maintain her current weight. She still uses her litter box and jumps up to the top of the bookshelf to watch me work. Maybe she's just too stupid to die.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's a beauty, and I'm glad she's still around.

When my old cat (17) started getting bony I thought maybe he wasn't getting enough to eat. They lose teeth, and we only ever fed dry food. Started giving him some people tuna (chunk light in water) every morning, he put on a pound or two, and hung around another two years. And he would do the 'tuna dance' in the morning. Two steps one way, swivel, two steps the other way. It was so cute.

MM

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
What a beautiful, beautiful cat. So glad she's still with you. Bet she's not too stupid to die, she's too happy living with you and your family to leave, since you've treated her so well.