Animal communicators- would you / have you used one?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I try to keep an open mind about animal communicators (unless they say all animals speak in full sentences with good English. Just no.), but I'm not particularly in support of using their services. Of course, if the pet owner wants to hire them, it is their choice, and I think they can certainly benefit from the session, depending on the actual animal communicator.

But rather than get into a debate of the validity of animal communicators, I'm curious to hear people's experiences (1st hand or a close 2nd hand). Also, do you think it is worth it? Do you think there is an appropriate price range per session?

My mind is a bit blown by a price I heard quoted from someone I know, and rather than rant about it I'd figured I would like to hear more from other people, good and bad.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have never used an animal communicator's services, no. I have a friend who has and she credited the woman with saving her cat's life. I don't know the particulars as this happened before I met either of them or the cat.

I do have my own experiences with animal communication that have convinced me that animals have a lot more savvy and wisdom then most humans give credit for. If I had an animal who was having problems and I was unable to resolve them myself, and if I knew of someone I'd heard good things of, I might very well be willing to pay for the service of an "interpreter", which is another way I think of this service.

As for price range? No idea, frankly, but I imagine it tends to be what the market will bear, as such services usually are.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Communications

I have never used one, don't know anyone who has......and to be honest, had never heard of them till you posted this.

I agree with Kylabelle about what it would cost. If someone was willing to pay what the person asked, so be it.

I personally would not use one. Her majesty, the feline that owns me is pretty good at making her demands known.

Do they communicate with all species or do they specialize? Do they advertise? What are the prevailing rates, like the one that surprised you.

These are serious questions, as it is rare to find something I had no clue existed. I knew there were people that were attuned to animals, but I did not know there was a name for it and people that actually got paid to do it.

As you get older, fewer things surprise you, but this did. Thanks for the knowledge.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book by Marta Williams, an animal communicator, that is quite interesting and even outlines some of the things you can supposedly do in order to communicate with animals.
I have a very close relationship with my pets, can also read many wild animals fairly well, and had a couple instances where I sort of telepathically knew what my boyfriend was doing a few kilometres away, but am rather leery of this animal communication field. It reeks too much of seances, of people telling desperate people what they want to hear.
I very much doubt that a perfect stranger can somehow tap into your pets mind long-distance, via looking at a photo or just hearing the pets name. Maybe they can, but I find it hard to believe.
So while I'm really interested in communicating better with the animals around me, I definitely wouldn't hire somebody to "talk" with my pets about anything.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like the animal communicator my friend told me about is doing the typical cold reading. Out of curiosity I googled Debunking Animal Communicators so that if someone did ask me in seriousness what I thought of it, I could politely tell them to google that phrase and then bite my tongue (unless it was a friend having a debate with me).

Now not all animal communicators are the same, but the cold reading and mysticism does irk me. (And T Robinson, you might try the google search I did. There was a good video with Richard Dawkins, who I didn't know did videos)

Anywho, to discuss prices, vaguely, it is always a combination of things. What will the market bear (ie- what will people in the area one serves, or will travel to, pay). You also have to figure in the overhead (a car to drive to appointments, advertising), the cost of education (for talented Animal Communicators- $0), the cost of licensing and insurance (car insurance only, unless they get general liability to cover themselves if they break a vase while visiting a home, but no professional license, no professional liability).

So, as a business person you look at what expenses you have and what you should get out of if (because we need to make money in business or we won't be in business very long!) and other factors and set our prices.

When I see a psychic session costing far more than general professional services from a vet or lawyer or doctor, or a trainer or a professional photographer or any number of professions, I am really floored.

I think all animal communicators should live, sweat, and breath their talents into animal training. That would do a great deal of good the world over.

Right, I'm just stopping here rather than going into total rant mode ;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would need one, my dog is pretty basic.

Food, food, food, food, food,food, food, food, food,food, food, food, food,
out, out, out, out, out, out, out, out,out, out, out, out,out, out, out, out,
pet me, pet me, pet me,pet me, pet me, pet me, pet me, pet me, pet me.

My cat is slightly more complex.

Feed me then die, while I nap, cretin.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I have a book by Marta Williams, an animal communicator, that is quite interesting and even outlines some of the things you can supposedly do in order to communicate with animals.
I have a very close relationship with my pets, can also read many wild animals fairly well, and had a couple instances where I sort of telepathically knew what my boyfriend was doing a few kilometres away, but am rather leery of this animal communication field. It reeks too much of seances, of people telling desperate people what they want to hear.
I very much doubt that a perfect stranger can somehow tap into your pets mind long-distance, via looking at a photo or just hearing the pets name. Maybe they can, but I find it hard to believe.
So while I'm really interested in communicating better with the animals around me, I definitely wouldn't hire somebody to "talk" with my pets about anything.

I agree, but there are a few exceptions. If someone like Cesar Milan hung out a shingle, I'd probably buy in because he really does have an uncanny ability with dogs. But that's rare, and he really doesn't profess to know what an individual dog is saying.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I'm not sure there's much point. Anne is pretty straight forward (food? food? CUDDLE! food?) and Bonny is so stupid that anyone 'translating' for her would just come out with an extended 'duuuuuuuuuuuuh'.

I suspect there is value in an in-person consultation with someone who bases their insights on animal body language, etc - but you can teach yourself that.

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score
I tried it as a last resort on a horse which had done 4K of damage to my lorry without at any point being worried/stressed/unhappy. Loaded fine, stood on the box fine, would stand all day at an event, just kicked as you turned into a venue or into the lane home - pure impatience.

Let's just say that's £40 I'll never get back, and when my husband (who is entirely unhorsey) saw the notes, he thought they were for a different animal.

I spent money reinforcing the lorry instead ;)

Honestly - I was sceptical before I had it done, and decided I could afford to chuck away £40. So I did. Would I do it again? Not a cat in hell's chance!

This was with someone extremely well respected too. I remain of the opinion (which was my opinion from the start), that it is total nonsense.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Like most others in this thread, I can't see the need for them. My dog is fairly easy to read (BISCUITS. NEED BISCUITS. NOW NEED POOP.) and for the more complex stuff, like why he's aggressive around certain dogs, a lot of it can be worked out by analyzing the situation, breed habits, and his particular 'pack dog' behavior patterns.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
If someone like Cesar Milan hung out a shingle, I'd probably buy in because he really does have an uncanny ability with dogs. But that's rare, and he really doesn't profess to know what an individual dog is saying.

Yeah, he's awesome! The impression I get from so-called animal communicators is that they're not reading the anmial's body language so much (which is very decipherable with enough insight and experience as any animal lover knows) as using telepathy for actual conversations. That's where my belief stops, especially when working long-distance off a photograph.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know of anyone who has used one or does this as a living, but I can believe that a person can be so out of touch with their immediate surroundings that they have no clue as to what is going on with their pets. Be it self absorption, stress, family issues or whatever I have noticed other peoples pets were in serious need of help and their owners just didn't see it.

I suspect that the "pet communicator" might just notice more details than the average person.

Hubs and I have been out before and when we got home the cat told me that someone had been in the house while we were out. Hubs was shocked when he heard me asking Pepper, orange tabby, "who was here?" It was a friend of mine that has a key to the house. Pepper was rather excited as he adores her, but he's also let me know when someone was around that wasn't supposed to be there, and found the tracks in the garden outside, by his weird behaviour. Pets know, and they will try to communicate but you gotta pay attention to those little details.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Yeah, Cesar Millan seems like a genuinely nice, skilled guy who roots his advice in behavioral knowledge and uses his abilities to help rehome and help dogs instead of doing it for money.

He's the exception to my rule of general distrust around animal communicators.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But Cesar never says the animals sent him woo woo images or magical things no one else can pick up. He teaches people to be as he is, which is a trainer.

The only issue with Cesar is he bases his methods on dominance and being alpha, which works VERY VERY well for him (total credit to the guy - he's amazing at what he does and he does it all day long), but sometimes dominance based training can be a bad fit or a risky fit for other people.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
The only issue with Cesar is he bases his methods on dominance and being alpha, which works VERY VERY well for him (total credit to the guy - he's amazing at what he does and he does it all day long), but sometimes dominance based training can be a bad fit or a risky fit for other people.

True. There is no one size fits all training, just as not all children respond well to the same style of teaching. It's a matter of finding out what works best for each individual animal and their keepers. It bugs me that dog training always seems to go through these hypes where everybody jumps on the most recent bandwagon and declares it to be the best training method that everybody should adhere to. [/offtopic]

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Raisa

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Animal Communication is my profession. It's interesting to read this thread and see the questions raised. It's my ages-old Ukrainian tradition, as it is in most of the world's cultures. My people couldn't have domesticated a sensitive prey animal such as the horse, without superb intuitive skills.

It only stopped being so for the Western world when the Church decided animals were more useful for experimentation, and we were branded witches and burned at the stake with our pets.

That's how the Black Plague started. Anyone who could hear animals speak, murdered. And all cats burned, so there were none to kill rats.

The Inquisition was purposeful, and successful. North America's disconnect with Nature and animal consciousness shows in every area, from the destruction of the environment to callous treatment for profit.

It was lovely to hear a friend who'd grown up in an African village, express his disbelief that North Americans cannot hear animals speak. "But, how do you hunt? How do you coexist with the wild animals?" he asked. He explained how the inability to communicate, would have meant certain death for homo sapiens shortly after we climbed down from the trees.

The men leaving vulnerable women and children behind for long stretches of time to wander aimlessly hoping they'd "run into" game, is unthinkable. You determine where the antelope will be two days walk from now, and off you go with the confidence you will return shortly with food.

We are animals. The refusal to open to communicating with others is a combination of false pride and a terror instilled by the Church's campaign to silence Nature and Her people. We were terrorized into worshipping a Sky God instead of listening to Her wisdom.

For thousands of years, medical knowledge was accumulated from observing animal behavior. Suddenly, we were forced to accept blessings from men in black robes, and such medical treats as being bled and having holes drilled into our heads "to let out the evil spirits."

That's the "science" that informs rejecting natural knowledge and wisdom. It's superstition, fear, and in the case of those who impose it, greed.

I have heard animals clearly since before I could speak, and cannot imagine not having this gift. I am scientifically rigorous, and in fact avoid situations where I could lose someone's trust by reading body language.

Since I am a Level 8 in British Horse Society Pony Club, a former veterinary assistant and an experienced dog trainer, this would be too easy, even unconsciously.

I'm not sure how Cesar Millan got into the conversation, as he is in no way an animal intuitive. He is a body language reader who applies a series of formulas to dog behavior. Any competent dog trainer can do what he does; a TV show just makes it look simple. We don't see the hours behind the scenes ;)

If a client told me I have not connected with their animal, I would refund them. In fact, I tend to attract skeptics, and do a lot of work with hard nosed individuals such as law enforcement (who never in a million years would admit it!) and very successful trainers who then apply what they learn to win more trophies.

I provide an irrefutable series of proofs, giving facts I couldn't possibly know. My proofs usually continue in the form of vets verifying what I have said, and behavior changing radically for the better once the owner truly listens to what their animal wants.

In fact, the only refund I have ever had to give was a client who verified my facts---he just didn't like them! Our pets are Master Teachers. Some people enjoy the lessons, others are offended. I don't sugar coat. In fact, as first and foremost an animal advocate, I tend to kick butt :D

Animal Communication is about finding out how to live more harmoniously with animals, in very specific ways. For example, I told a client her dog was pissing all over her clothes because of the darned pink T shirt she was putting on her every day. All I had was a plain photo of the dog's face, and the info that the dog was peeing "all over the house."

Well no, she was specifically targeting her owner's clothes, and it was because she hated the shirt. Skip the shirt, problem solved. I had never met the dog, and had no inkling of her wearing clothing, let alone a pink T. I also had to have the confidence to confront the owner with her shame that it was actually HER clothes, and not a general soiling problem.

If you're genuinely interested, you may want to read the physics behind Animal Communication. We really are All One, and reading energy is no different than receiving signals into a TV, phone, or computer. Intuitives simply open ourselves to energy. I find electronic devices rather crude compared to the blissful feeling of sharing an animal's thoughts and feelings. No one can completely explain how they work, either, and 100 years ago, phones were thought by many to be "the devil's instrument."

As for what it costs: what is it worth to not have to euthanize your dog for aggression, or your cat for crapping in your bed? How about your legal fees or all the money you've spent on trainers, DVDs, books, time lost from work, destroyed property, inability to take your pet anywhere, extra charges from the vet due to challenging behavior? I get discounts from vets for having superbly cooperative animals, without the use of force or gimmicks.

I usually solve problems (if the client applies the advice) in a session or two.

I have to say, North Americans are a bit funny in what they value. I've seen Facebook people post photos of their exotic vacations and tattoos, brag about their iPads, etc.---then demand I help them with serious, stressful pet problems at a discount or even for free! I love my job, but I am a self employed woman who, as I said, cannot even rely on the clients returning regularly as they would to a trainer/therapist/lawyer/groomer/vet.

I'll never be wealthy, as the painful side of my gift is being able to feel with exquisite sensitivity the suffering of all creatures. I am constantly feeding, medicating and rehabbing rescue animals. I can feel their distress long distance, so am often first responder to a distressing accident or cruelty scene. I can't count how many times I've risked my life in traffic to save terrified animals. I burned out my new laser printer with petitions against horse slaughter, and drive many miles to help with rescue cases. I'm that crazy lady who made a 50 mile round trip to wildlife rehab to deliver a limping pigeon :)

Astronaut Dr. Edgar Mitchell and Dr. Bernie Siegel (Love, Medicine and Miracles) are both Animal Communicators who give wonderfully eloquent explanations of how it "works."

To me, it's eloquently explained in the way a startled flock of birds or herd of deer wheel in precisely the same direction, at the same speed, with never a collision. Humans artificially bereft of natural powers require cumbersome, systems of traffic signals! I simply tap into what the animals communicate to each other.

I just "do it" and have an average 90% accuracy rate, according to my clients. Of course, I refer them to vets, trainers, masseuses, etc. I am no longer able to do much hands on training due to a broken back, and anyway, have satisfied clients on four continents.

Thank you for raising the question. It's been interesting summarizing what I've done for over 50 years, and my ancestors well before that!

This is a short clip from a simply amazing documentary with Animal Communicator Anna Breytenbach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6FyGlDnbgM

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Raisa, your post has a number of very strong claims about animals, history, cultures, science, and religions. Those claims would need a good deal of backing up. I'm afraid a single YouTube link will not be sufficient. Can you provide us with a solid foundation for what you laid out?

Raisa

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Absolutely, RichardGarfinkle. You could start with the 7 page bibliography to my book, which is posted on the website.

Here is a vital book that is not in my biblio: The Malleus Malificarum, or Hammer of Witches, a German handbook on identifying, torturing and executing witches written by Catholic clergyman Heinrich Kremer in the late 1400's.

The most concise and pithy summary can be found on the site of the Hanover University, in the country that birthed the document: https://history.hanover.edu/texts/mm.html

Interviews with Drs. Mitchell and Siegel are searchable online.

On the other hand, I don't need to back up with documents my Indigenous culture's and family's oral history, passed down through the generations. I am practicing my traditions.

In Ukraine, the Soviets banned natural healers from using herbal medicines, killed our pets, and murdered us outright by the denial of these medicines. This includes my family, whose animals were slaughtered, and in particular my grandmother, who died of infection from a simple femur fracture.

I count myself fortunate that this horror lasted a relatively short time, compared to the Western European Inquisition. My peoples' traditions have been largely left intact in our homes and hearts, despite the devastation that did occur.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
While I have respect for differing views and try to stay open to evidence as presented, I'm not the best person to ask, as I'm pretty skeptical about psychics, astrology and the paranormal and all that. I feel extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. How I feel about the people who practice the art personally depends on whether I think they themselves believe in what they're doing (versus simply out there to shear suckers) and whether they seem to be helping the people they are taking money from in some way.

When I worry is when I hear about someone who has consulted with a communicator who claims to be psychic and able to communicate at a distance (as opposed to just being good at reading animals' signals) making a life and death decision (like when an animal has gone missing) based on such advice. I think there's been at least one case where a human-focused psychic claimed someone who had gone missing was dead, and then she turned out to be alive after all. How horrible if everyone stops searching based on such advice. If they tell me my dog is dead, and I believe them, I might stop combing the local shelters, and then he really will be dead if he ends up in one.

Conversely, if they tell me my dog is still alive, I may spend an inordinate amount of time and energy looking for him, and I may never reach any kind of closure. If she tells me he's alive, living with a new family and very, very happy that might make me feel better about letting go, or it might make me expend more energy (and money) trying to track him down.

But I do have a friend who consulted a communicator about her very elderly dog whose health was deteriorating. The session made her feel better about putting the dog to sleep, which was, most of us who knew her and the dog agreed, the right decision. She needed to hear it from a disinterested outside party though. Though this person couched it in terms of her communication with the dog, she really just reiterated what was pretty clear: the old fellow wasn't having any fun and was ready to go. But again, it made my friend feel better about her decision, so maybe it was a good thing.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have always known what my animals are saying. And I've helped other people communicate with their animals. It saddens me when I see that this has been developed into a capital scheme. I know...the world is all about making money...doesn't matter how. I love to talk to the animals. And the people I have helped along the way have been uber appreciative. I consider it one of my favourite gifts. I wouldn't mar it with capitalism.

I once talked a horse out of fake-limping. Turns out, he was simply angry with his owner. (-: