Changing from 1st person to 3rd person for 2nd book in serial

asd1978

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after some thoughts about what you think of a serial switching from MC 1st person in the first book, to 3rd person and or multiply 1st persons in the 2nd book.

It's a 3 part monster erotica series. Each part is roughly 10k words.

For the first 'book' it's all told in 1st person from the pov of the MC.

In the second 'book' I've found that I've switched to 3rd person for some parts. In other parts it told from the MC's pov, her friend's pov as well the monster's pov in others parts.

So I guess my question is, as a reader would the switching pov's throw you off? (MC, friends, monster)

And the same question in regards to having some of it written in 3rd person?

Have any other serials of this length done something similar or have they all stuck to the one pov choice?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd feel the same as Ann Mayburn. As a reader of a series, I'm invested in a single character, accustomed to that character's point of view and narrative voice. Don't go changing it on me.

I'm not saying it hasn't been done, but that it could certainly cost you readers of the series up to the point of the change.

One question: Are the POV changes the result of trying to present information to the reader which the original POV character does not have? There are other ways to do this.

Maryn, who gets into the POV character's head

asd1978

Registered
Reaction score
I'd feel the same as Ann Mayburn. As a reader of a series, I'm invested in a single character, accustomed to that character's point of view and narrative voice. Don't go changing it on me.

That's what I figured would the be consensus. So I will stick to the one pov.

One question: Are the POV changes the result of trying to present information to the reader which the original POV character does not have? There are other ways to do this.

Yes.

- One of the people who didn't get taken by the creatures, knows what's happened to the MC and their friends. They had the same thing happen to them a year before and is making their way to the MC and the creatures to mount a rescue (or join in on the fun).

- The MC is 'enjoying' the experience, where as the other in the group are not. So at one point as I currently have the story, the MC is asleep and some of the beta creatures decided to make off with the friends for a bit of fun away from the Alpha. Hence we dive into the creature's heads, and their fear of getting caught by the Alpha. And the friend's pov of how they are not going to let the creatures do anything to them.... or so they think.