Any Other Superhero Fiction Writers Out There?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I've got Soon I Will Be Invincible on my to-read list. I've read A Once Crowded Sky by Tom King, and that's a good one, although it's less powers, more about the heroes after they've surrendered their powers to save the world. Closer to traditional superhero stuff, there's also the webcomic Strong Female Protagonist.

MkMoore, I guess it depends on 1) the source of the power and 2) whether you NEED other people to have powers. Are they the Fantastic Four, in the wrong place at the right time, or the X-men, naturally occurring mutations? Either way works and has worked for many series. Do you have your story plotted? I think knowing where you need to go will help you determine which path to take.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
The (very difficult) trick is to write a superhero story that is still within the category BUT has its own unique side. If it's too much like some other character or other kinds of adventures it's taken to be a rip-off or generic.

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
Right now a fellow author and I are plotting out a superhero novel. Also considering writing a few short stories of one of our main characters.

There are actually quite a number of superhero novels (not even counting the ones about copyright characters like Batman, etc). Several of them are YA, but others aren't.

Last edited:

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP has many super hero elements. Though I would call my MC more of a vigilante than super hero. I would like to go full on straight ahead super hero one day.

I have to check out Soon I Will Be Invincible. I keep seeing it pop up.

thejamesramos

I write stuff sometimes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thejamesramos.wordpress.com
Generally, I don't see a lot of pieces in this genre and was wondering if anyone else has tackled the long-form superhero story.

I'm working on a superhero novel (which I hope to turn into a series) right now! They are definitely gaining popularity.

I would recommend Superhuman by Michael Carroll. Its pretty decent reading. Also, Dull Boy by Sarah Cross.

Sunstreaker84

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry that I dropped the thread - it sounds like there's a bunch of us! "Soon I Will be Invincible" is what started it off for me. I've been writing for a while; but nothing was really working for me. After I read Grossman's novel, I started looking around for more and was disappointed at the dearth of additional novels in the genre.

I suppose that's why I wrote one! In fact, I've been off the radar because I've been laying groundwork to start edits with my publisher!! "Nightingale" will be published next fall by Cliffhanger Press. Can't wait to share it with everyone!

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple ideas bouncing around in my head. Eventually, at least one of them will become a novel.

I keep getting stuck one thing; why grown men would dress up in colorful spandex for hero work.

SampleGuy

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
In War Beast, my characters are kind of like super heroes, except they only help if they get paid. On a second project I planned to write is a science fiction novel about a team of space rangers who lost their humanity during a super nova event, and they become outcast from their colony because of their mutation. Then they decide to become space traveling vigilantes because helping and protecting innocent people became part of their lives and purpose.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com

Sounds like it might have much in common with Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

I have a sort of superhero WiP on the backburner, although it's sort of lacking on the 'super' part. It's about a badass martial artist who takes up vigilantism, initially to help a friend out with some loan sharks, but he gets dragged into a bigger plot as a result.
Haven't even got a name for his alter-ego, or decided if he'll go down the spandex route yet.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have a super hero ...thing...going in my head. Typical government experiment gone awry and so they have to clean up their own mess with regards to super powered people on the loose.

I really should poke at it more.

I've considered doing short cross-promo short stories with other super hero things, like Crossover Events that comics frequently engage in. It's something of a pipedream at this stage though.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'm reading The Girl Who Would be King and it's a great superhero novel starring two girls - a superhero and a supervillain. Enjoying it a LOT, and it just got optioned for film evidently.