Picking the right word

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I have what may be a problem with terminology and I am hoping that it will not turn out like my last one.

I'm building a world where there are a group of people who are picked up pretty much at birth and raised alongside scary monster god things that have lots of power in certain areas (examples would be giant flying sharks, hiveminds of salamanders, sapient pipe organs... really they take any form but there are a lot of them). All of them have their own agendas and wants and stuff but the people who grow up with them have the job of making sure that these monsters get along with humans, or at least don't bother them too much. With constant exposure to these weird monster gods things they tend to progressively become more like them and often become strangely powerful.

Normal humans are, or were, very suspicious of these people even though their purpose is to be mediators. To try to keep goodwill the mediators have various very strict honor codes and such -- but still even with this they occasionally (and sometimes often) get lynched.

In the story I had originally wanted to call these mediators "witches" but I don't know if I should use a different term and people will be too confused by the term.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you need two terms -- one is the common term, and another is the derogatory term, preferably a bit obscene or scatological.

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
Witch doesn't seem to fit the role you have described here. It's a powerful word with many connotations, none of which really bring to mind a mediator or go-between for me.

Start with messenger/mediator/diplomat and go from there, would be my suggestion. Maybe research similar roles played by mythological creatures for inspiration.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Well I had the idea of "witch" because of the idea that these people are persecuted due to serving otherworldly inhuman beings and in that gained strange powers -- so from the "deal with satan" version that isn't common in modern literature. It's just that people forget that they're also serving the public interest as well.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It's not arbiter. It's more conciliator. Though I would definitely prefer something more magical-sounding than conciliator.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I immediately thought liaison. I think witches has too many connotations to work well in that context. For a derogatory term, maybe something along the lines of "human-traitor"—something that implies these people have given up their humanity to become something grotesque. Half-breeds, maybe?

Titan Orion

Demigod of Order
Registered
Reaction score
For me, names like this depend on a number of factors.

Who defined what they are? Is it the weird monster god things that named them "witches," or is it people outside of those circles? If both, then I agree with Angry Guy in that you could give them two names; one which they refer to themselves as, and another that "the rest of the world" use, which is likely to be either derogative or based on a surface level/face value point of view (like the terms witch, mutant, yada yada).

Once you know who named them, look at what factors are likely to stand out enough to warrant a name being given, if that makes sense. For example in Game of Thrones there are Whitewalkers, which are basically zombie-like beings that roam the blizzards of the north. Blizzard roaming undead ---> Whitewalkers. The name is clearly given to them by humans, and if the Whitewalkers could talk, they probably wouldnt have picked that name for themselves.

Maybe they are called puppets or pawns (or politicians!) because outsiders may only see someone who is acting on behalf of a higher power which they must obey without question.

On the other hand, maybe its the weird monster god things that named them. What qualities would they name them after? Did these gods know the "witches" became gradually powerful in their presence? If they knew, then maybe they could be called something like Inherents.

Maybe they are vessels, conduits for the will of greater existences; or familiars, who know they are the playthings of gods but enjoy the sliver of power they receive in return; or shamans, who interact with spirits that others cannot see or smell or touch.

Personally I think either Inherent if you want to go with a mystical vibe - although that only hints at what they are, and doesnt define what they do - or familiars, because the term would be seen as a compliment to insiders and an insult to outsiders, whilst also hinting at their purpose.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I kind of like "familiar" considering it is still going with the whole witch thing. I have no idea how "inherent" sounds magical or even makes sense in this context, considering the word's meaning. Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought was that they are priests. Interceding with or propitiating monstergod things on behalf of humanity sounds like priestcraft, to me.

And they could surely be called witches behind their backs.

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
Caretakers? Minders? The first sounds so nice. The second has the possibility of double meanings.

I don't like witches.

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
Off topic:

Titan Orion - you cheeky devil.

If I said the name Ferren, would it ring any bells? or maybe blow them up?

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
I have a personal theory about names in science fiction and fantasy. It might help, it might not.

If the thing has been around for a long time, then there is a good chance that it has an exotic name with a derivation that we don't understand. Vampire. Nosferatu. Gargoyle. Zombie. Nazgul. Harpy. Gorgon. Sith. Jedi. Klingons.

On the other hand, if we discover or create something in relatively modern times then we are usually going to give it a more logical name. Day walker. Shapeshifter. Xenomorph. Federation of Planets. Biters. Walkers. The fellowship of the ring.

So when I'm looking for a name for something, the first thing to do is to think about who gave it that name and how long ago it was. An old name would be exotic, a more contemporary name would be descriptive, the name given by a scientist would be logical, a slang term might be derogatory, and so on.

Personally, I'm not a great fan of "witch" because of the baggage it carries.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I have other considerations besides the ones you mentioned.

1) It is not exactly a 100% intuitive concept

and

2) it is so integral to the story that it would have to be on the blurb.

Because of this I wanted to be able to use a familiar word rather than use a made-up one or one that's an actual term for an earthly legal or diplomatic figure.

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
I think a thesaurus is your best bet. Put in messenger, and see what you get. Personally, I like 'emissary'.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I have other considerations besides the ones you mentioned.

1) It is not exactly a 100% intuitive concept

and

2) it is so integral to the story that it would have to be on the blurb.

Because of this I wanted to be able to use a familiar word rather than use a made-up one or one that's an actual term for an earthly legal or diplomatic figure.

In regards to #2, I think that actually makes "witch" a worse word. They aren't Harry Potter witches or Salem witches,so to use the word for something that isn't an intuitive concept is going to be deceiving to the reader, and that's not what you want from a back-cover blurb.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Sidess?

Someone who unlike a spywife (someone who interprets for the gods to humans) is able to communicate and manipulate the gods. In this case, instead of gods, the sidess would be comunicating and manipulating awesome beasts.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about familiars? We always think about animal familiars for humans, but wouldn't these people fill the same niche? If you referred to them as the 'human familiars', it might send the right idea.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, #2 is why I realized I could not use "witch". I had the same problem with my last WIP, but there I found a new word to replace it relatively easily. That does not seem to be the case here, unfortunately.

Sidess?

Someone who unlike a spywife (someone who interprets for the gods to humans) is able to communicate and manipulate the gods. In this case, instead of gods, the sidess would be comunicating and manipulating awesome beasts.

I am really curious as to where you are getting these words "sidess" and "spywife".

Last edited:

RSwordsman

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I really like "mediator" as it sounds sufficiently humble-important, and the derogatory term could be anything that hits at their privileged status. Blue bloods, sellouts, or the like.

Hillsy7

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Angry guy - 2 terms (one good, one bad)

There's a lot here that's dependant on tone. For example: First thing I got was perhaps something with a more biblical, archaic bent - something like Chroniclers, or Archon, or Vox Deis, or mebbe with a -Tron suffix. But that's very serious, very grown up. It's deliberately a title. Something more akin to the Amyrlin Seat.

However, if the tone is a little more YA, a bit more Indiana Jones romp, it might come across a bit heavy or awkward. Then probably a more literal title would suit. Emmissary, Mediator, Magus, Speaker, Voice.....something like that. I like Arbiter....it's a good word on the tongue.

As for cusses - a lot of it will be based on the society....God-cursed (If they are becoming like them), I like Spy if the tone is lighter, apostate if they are seen to abandon the people, Aberrant or Miscreation if it's darker and more brooding in tone.....

...Basically I'd say don't get too hung up on the exactitude of the title itself, but get something that matches the tone and feel of the novel. Witch, for instance, could be a great insult for them (Aes Sedei in Wheel of Time are referred to as Witches for an insult. Matches the tone perfectly)

Anyways - my tuppence. Good luck