A story told in vignettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

VegAthLes

Scribbler
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a book with a definite story arc. That story is told in 3rd person POV by a narrator who is sort of involved in the story, but is an omniscient narrator for the purposes of the book. However, the story is told in vignettes, with each focusing on one character or incident within the larger story. Together, the vignettes tell the complete story, but separately, they are short stories.

I feel like it's working well as I'm writing it. But what do you think? Too much, or intriguing?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
It's all in the writing. Nobody can say just from what you describe whether or not it'll work.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it sounds like "a novel in stories," which is fine if it's working. But then regular old novels probably sell better in general. So if there's no particular reason for doing the novel in vignettes, why not just stick with the usual form?

But again, if it works, it works. Or if you just enjoy playing around with the form, imo that's good enough reason. I'm considering this too, just because I enjoy, and think I'm better at, shorts over longs. I thought the link below was interesting- for the comments as much as the essay.

http://therumpus.net/2011/05/the-mysterious-case-of-novel-in-stories/

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seen it done. It can work. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the "omniscient narrator who is also somewhat involved." You'll have to work to make that believable, or you are arsed.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Yeah, Olive Kitteridge came to my mind, too. Pick up a copy and see if your book works in a similar way, and even if it doesn't, you should keep writing. There's no one rule for the way a book, or story should develop.

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
World War Z by Max Brooks is another book written in that style that might be worth looking at. In that case, the narrator is not omniscient but is a journalists relaying the substance of interviews with various people as vignettes that form the overall story.

I think it's the effectiveness of how the author creates that overall story and makes it emotionally compelling through small slices of characters' lives that are then never seen again that makes it worth studying.

VegAthLes

Scribbler
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I've read World War Z, but not Olive Kitteridge. I'll add it to my fall reading list. I'm going to keep moving forward, because it's a lot of fun to write. If nothing else, it'll be a fun experiment for me.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I thought this thread was about a story told in vinaigrettes.

/slinks off, ashamed

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Another word sometimes applied to this kind of structure is "episodic". Epistolary novels also tend to work this way. I was reminded of Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes.

No reason not to do it. Write it and see how it works out.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.