Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's so frustrating to watch someone who knows how to write but not how the business works make such mistakes.

You know, if there were an MWA chapter in Rochester, my entire writing group might well join. (Well, maybe not the poverty-stricken one who makes the poor financial decisions. She hasn't even bought my book!) Plus Rochester has an excellent writing center which might open its doors for preliminary meetings. I know a few mystery writers, nobody famous, in the area who'd be there, and as you say, it's close enough to a number of other cities and towns to be workable.

I was a member long ago, but every single event was in NYC. There was nothing for me but a freakin' newsletter, not worth the cost.

Maryn, quitter

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I explained to the mutual friend who told me this story about first rights and how that ship has sailed unless his SP sales numbers are in the tens of thousands and that he should write a brand new book to query.

Sigh. Impatience is a killer.

I get review copies from SP writers with this mindset. "Write a review and give me some PR, so I can start querying agents for this book." One such writer actually had a novel that seemed marketable with editing. I tried to explain, tried to send him here ... But he said he needed no advice, thanks; he'd read everything online already. I wonder if there's someone out there offering serious miseducation about what it means to self-pub.

Maryn, the first TV my mom ever bought us was black and white, about 11 inches -- ah, the olden days! Now I watch movie screeners on my TV during awards season, so that's my excuse for having a huge, decadent one. Not to mention that most indie films get dumped on VOD and don't even reach our local theaters anymore.

A writer suggested that my edit was "dumbing her down" and I may have flipped out a little tiny bit. You know you're working too hard when...

Or there's the possibility I'm just dumb. :)

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin' folk!

Sitting at the repair shop while my car gets worked on. It's funny how this place consistently quotes me half the price of the other.

Hand writing while I'm here. Forget how badly my hand cramps up after a while. And then I still have to type it in later.

Probably need a title soon. I can't keep calling it MMwD (which is Mad Max with Dragons). Figured out how to pitch it, though. It's the bastard love child of The Book of Eli and Reign of Fire.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yes. Yes it is. :D

Bad day yesterday. Took last night off and watched Grimm and Japanese horror. Trouble is, I can't afford a night off. I'll be away from fun online stuff today to make up wordage. :heart: you all.

Last edited:

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
Pitch Wars revision is complete. Now I am on line edits. I have my pitch and first page ready, so I am way less stressed. So much so, I went out with a friend yesterday. Lunch, dessert and an apple chai, Gone Girl (that movie is warped), and then dinner with her and her parents. It was lovely.

I'm jealous. Because of grad school I am behind. I am hoping to send my Mentor my revisions by this upcoming Thursday or Friday.

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Attagirl! Now you're in the spirit of things. You have kids, right? Get the larger of the two water heater sizes your decision comes down to. In their teens, you will be glad you did. Although our long-haired teens still managed to empty it most mornings, which is part of the reason Mr. Maryn got up so very early, grabbing the first shower, and part of the reason I would start the day's work or writing in my jammies, scrambling into clothes when I heard the school bus.

I have a 10 yo and a 12 yo. LOL. Teen years are so close I'm tasting them now.

I'm jealous. Because of grad school I am behind. I am hoping to send my Mentor my revisions by this upcoming Thursday or Friday.

Grad school is intense. Cut yourself some slack. Deadline is still a ways off. I set myself a much sooner deadline because I am traveling next week. And I write as my main job. Even unpaid, my husband supports me being a career author. I work a couple of very part-time jobs in addition, but I control my schedule.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Joys of Writing: I get two chapters after my obligatory "research the suspects" chapter and realized I'd completely skipped a suspect. :Headbang: *tabs up several pages* *adds more paragraphs*

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I spent most of the afternoon/evening crocheting ninja turtles. Your argument is invalid.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
One of the karate moms wanted it for her boy's birthday in November. (it's actually kiddo's "boyfriend"'s little brother)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back from the north, where I didn't get into the concert but really enjoyed the play. And young men in suits, on a Saturday! Eye candy.

Maryn, worn out

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello lovely people! I am suiting up to start battling my mother and her sisters. Going to be fun. Bring on the scotch and wine and mead.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got your loins all girded, or is there still time to watch you do that?

Peek in here when and if you need a break or some support. Is it too nosy to ask what the battle is about?

Maryn, too nosy

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always prefer an audience for my loin girdling ;)

Anyway. It's not too nosy. The short of it while I lived in KC my family didn't help my grandparents out. My grandmother was taking care of my grandfather and her mother. The property and house fell to shambles (it's 5 acres of property). She moved all of them into my great grandmother's trailer at the end of the property.

My grandfather and great grandmother died two years apart... Well she's finally ready to have her falling down house torn down and a new one built.

She has dementia. It's under control now.

So I proposed that M and I move out there into the trailer to help my grandmother maintain the property so she can enjoy it while she still can. This is of course when she gets her house built. Well I gave this proposal to my mom and her sisters because their names our on the mortgage as well. That was in June. I finally asked my mother about it a few weeks ago and she is now fighting it.

So I talked to my grandmother. My grandmother was already planning on letting someone move into the trailer rent free if they worked on the property once she got her new house built. So I told her that M and I would be happy to. She is excited about this.... SO fighting my mom and her sisters now. It's going to be ugly.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Hi, everyone!

I missed you all! :Hug2:

Sorry for falling off the face of the planet for a little while. This school year and all of my university classes are keeping me ridiculously busy.

Tas, I ADORE that TMNT scarf! Might have to try my hand at one myself!

Lily, I got an email about Nun Too Soon yesterday! Guess what's waiting for me on my Kindle now? :)

Good luck with loin-girding, Caleb. May the drama clear up quickly!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
dys! *tacklehug*

SQUEE about NTS preorder! :heart:

Caleb, we trust in the power of your loins.

...wait...

Also *hugs* on potential fights and you and M are terrific grandkids (M by proxy and all that :) )

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bleh my previous post was all kinds of disjointed. Was writing it via my phone. Glad it mostly made sense.

Good luck with loin-girding, Caleb. May the drama clear up quickly!

We'll see on the drama. I've backed them all down before.

Caleb, we trust in the power of your loins.

...wait...

Also *hugs* on potential fights and you and M are terrific grandkids (M by proxy and all that :) )

Lily that was supposed to be our little secret!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Purgies. Woke up to the sump pump cycling on every twenty seconds as the storm drains, overwhelmed by rain overnight, are returning some of the water being pumped out in small waves. I fear the basement will flood again. And it's still raining. Which means I'm not going to walk to an appointment which would make a three-mile round trip, since walking in cold rain is pretty unpleasant. Kindly make my excuses to Weight Watchers for me.

Maryn, living an adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.