The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Miranda isn't a PublishAmerica author. Nor has she been personally attacked, at least in this.

I don't like being taken out of context...
I didn't say it was a personal attack, I said those who accuse people here of being bashers would characterize it as such.

To call her
a scamming, lying, abusive, low down poor excuse for a human being
is just being straightforward.

Rob

"I hate Illinois Nazis!"

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
More on PR firms

lindylou45 said:
I suppose you're right, Canada James. It seems wrong to me, though. If a PR firm took on a client knowing full well there was not a thing they could do to enhance the sale of their product...

It's not really up to the PR firm to *sell* the product. It's up to the PR firm to send out information that the product is available. I think this is another case where PA authors get into something expecting one result, where reality is something completely the opposite. (sigh)

C. James

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I just came across a posting on another board congratulating P&E for making the Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites list. I know that Absolute Write was also on that list because I found that mentioned somewhere earlier today. All in all, this is bad news...

for PA, that is. It means that many new writers who read Writer's Digest will find our sites and learn the truth about PA without being victimized.

Yay us! :)

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
Jeff said:
Nuthin',

No offense, but the truth is that you are not going to get the reaction/outcry you want by trolling here. Simply put, ol' whatsisname is just not that interesting any longer.

We here have bigger fish to fry and more people to help.

Joliet Jake: "Fix the cigarette lighter."

Well said.

Jenn

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
orraloon said:
Their reply, just in:

Subject - Re: Eddie Bruce: unusual misconceptions.

Dear Mr Bruce,

(snipped for brevity's sake) And again, instead of spouting off in such a fashion with nothing of
substance, please identify what you think we have said or posted that is
not true. We'd be interested to see it! The screen shot you mention
probably says that your book will be available through all bookstores
nationwide, and discusses bookstores' policies on bookstore stocking, right?

Thank You,

PublishAmerica Author Support

OHhhhhh Lordy, I need that barf bag again.

Jenn

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
robeiae said:
I don't like being taken out of context...
I didn't say it was a personal attack, I said those who accuse people here of being bashers would characterize it as such.

"Those who accuse people here of being bashers" take anything they want and make it into anything they want. If I were worried about how they might twist my words I wouldn't say anything at all.

bullfrog

nuthin4u2 said:
I’ve been watching this board and laughing my but off. ‘The nameless one’ pulled a bigger stunt than you think. I’m just amazed nobody figured it out yet. I read this in one of the threads here and figured it out.

Somehow, I can't help but to think that H.B. Marcus has actually died. Let me explain.

H.B. Marcus is not a real person, rather a pseudonym for a writer. In his own unique way, I can picture this writer as actually turning towards new projects and breaking from his past by, in fact, burying the name of the pseudonym used until a few days ago.

Regardless of the opinion of the writer, the pseudonym of H.B. Marcus I believe has died a much needed death. Whether the writer comes back under a new name or redirects his efforts to another facet of writing will remain to be seen.

Like him or hate him, the creator of H.B. Marcus knows how to create attention.”

He’s here right now among the posters as a spy for PA. Why do you think he hasn’t posted at PA? He’s been posting here for months already. I don’t need to point him out either. You just have to ask yourself what would cause him to shed his name. If you think that idiot could keep quiet for this long, he has not. He’s just been on here gaining your trust. Don’t point him out or name him. You can come up with the same conclusion I have as to who he is. Just don’t share anything with him he can take back to PA.

Jim

That figures. I just figured he was waiting for everything to blow over. Why would he hurt the name he’s been promoting unless he’s changing it? I’ve been waiting for him to surface ever since he let me and others holding the bag.

Bullfroggy

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
Speaking of 'incoherent': When bad press releases happen to bad people --[highlighting courtesy of Sassenach]

http://press.arrivenet.com/ent/article.php/616392.html

Miranda Prather Earns Another Publishing Credit Peaks^ Literary Journal will publish Miranda Prather's poem, putting the zombi to rest. Distribution Source : PRWeb

Wait a minute, do you mean her work doesn't resonate? :Smack:

SeanDSchaffer

DaveKuzminski said:
I just came across a posting on another board congratulating P&E for making the Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites list. I know that Absolute Write was also on that list because I found that mentioned somewhere earlier today. All in all, this is bad news...

for PA, that is. It means that many new writers who read Writer's Digest will find our sites and learn the truth about PA without being victimized.

Yay us! :)

Cool!
:Thumbs:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
I just can't help reading this as The POD Tickler...which raises all kinds of possibilities.

- Victoria

Which is apparently why Ed has removed the word POD from his title -- he's now calling himself "The Pickler." Still waiting for that smilie, Ed. :)

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lindylou45 said:
We can certainly hope they are! :snoopy:

Just to clarify -- I'm not bashing -- I'm picklin'!
Reference: the last two lines of the poem
Now, THAT'S funny!

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
Jim asked:

Sheesh! Why's everyone looking at me?

Okay! Okay! I can answer this one. :flag:

Because you say things like this:

You probably spent months-to-years writing your book. Now's the time to spend weeks-to-months learning the business side.

and...

Here's the straight out truth: If you've written a book that a lot of peoiple want to read, you can get published by a legitimate press. If you haven't, no self-publishing or vanity-publishing scheme in the world will help you.

On a personal note: I spent a few years in the middle 90's lurking on the GEnie SF rountable boards (until GE sold it off and I lost access) and did not realize until recently that you were Yog sysop. I learned a heck of a lot there. Small world, this interent thingie is. :)

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
He's irrelevant, and speculating on him is like speculating on why the Red Sox won the World Series last year - it's old news.

The Red Sox won the...?

Darn, I need to get out more.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Help! Pickler! Help! I'm being scammed!

PublishAmerica is an evil company, led by amoral people. They lie regularly, breach their own contract without a second thought, cheat authors, disregard rights reversals and copyright law, have no real publishing experience, and they're meanies as well. Boy, they just stink. I like to think of them as literary super villains.

If only the Pickler would save us!

Sorry, I'm trying to find more to time to work on my bloody last book in my bloody trilogy (so's I can become a literary giant like many of my colleages here) and I didn't have time to come up with anything better.

More PA Pickling Cooming Soon...

hignutt out...

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Fear not, fair damsel!

Diana Hignutt said:
PublishAmerica is an evil company, led by amoral people. They lie regularly, breach their own contract without a second thought, cheat authors, disregard rights reversals and copyright law, have no real publishing experience, and they're meanies as well. Boy, they just stink. I like to think of them as literary super villains.

If only the Pickler would save us!
It is I, The Pickler, Literary Defender of Truth, Justice, and all that is Good and Right in the literary world! As I fly high above the skies here in my personal Pickle Plane, I spot the following on the PA boards regarding the length of their contracts:

Our contracts expire after seven years, unlike the life term that most other traditional publishers require.
Life term? I've never had a publisher I ever signed with ask for a life term, typically about three years has been the norm for me. Uncle Jim, Victoria, Jenna, what typically do y'all see out there re length of contracts?

Ahem - back to the Literary Super Hero business. In my line of work, you cross paths with some pretty dastardly super villains. Here are a few of them that y'all can help me keep an eye out for:

The Yarbrough Man - This dastardly cur wears a cowboy hat, totes a six shooter, and will kill anyone who mentions the color purple. And watch out for his sidekick, the notorious Pony Boy...

Luscious Lola - Beautiful, smart, and cunning, she turned to crime because of a broken heart over the literary loss of her lover, Shemp. If you push her into a corner, she takes out her Electric Editor and zaps you, which causes your brain to spell out every word you think. While you are standing there immobilized, Lola changes your publishing contract to royalities paid on net sales minus the owner's vacation costs...

Special K - The most dastardly thing about this super villain is his profound love for PA, which he expresses in a variety of ways. Never engage him in the discussion of POD vs. POD, as this will enrage him and he will become quite the preditor...

Ah, it is now time for me to land my Pickle Plane here in the Valley of Vixens in order to rejuvenate myself. Remember:

When evil is about,
and Moe-randa starts to pout,
just give a big, ole shout,
to The Pickler!

Last edited:

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
A suggestion

This early am, unable to sleep and while muse snored away, I cruised the forums. While doing so, I learned an interesting lesson from Jenna about how/why the ads appear at the top of the forums. On that thread, she explains how Google picks up the contents of our threads.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10274

Anyway, some, including me -- wondered about the ads for PA that appear on this forum thread at times. I believe the secret to eliminate some of the more flattering ads would be not to "spell out" PA. The ads change rapidly, and as I type, there are ads pertaining to publication, but do not mention PA. That could change any moment.

Just a thought, would that defeat our efforts in anyway to have google show them as scam and frauds?

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spelling Out PA

But Ann, dear. If we don't occasionally spell out PA, this thread won't be as prominant in search engines when people enter "PublishAmerica." If we avoid writing it out, then when people do a search for "P......A......" they will find the company's lies and not our truths. We don't want that, do we?

Of course, I'm a recently reformed computer Luddite, so maybe, I'm wrong about that.

diana

Steve 211

Here and There
Registered
Reaction score
Writer's Digest Book Club Promoting PA

The Writer's Digest News is not all good. In fact, we got a situation in Sector 5 that needs some serious attention.

I just got my Writer's Digest Book Club bulletin, and each month they list a few members who've been successfully published. The thing is, both last month and this month they've listed authors who've had their works printed up by PA.

It reads:

Congratulations to These Recently
Published Book Club Members!

After mentioning four writers who had their work published at Authorhouse, Pleasant Word, and a couple Canadian companies, there’s this:

Bill Westhead’s latest book, The Mill, is his fourth historical novel. It is available at
www.publishamerica.com and through online bookstores.

Then there’s another one just like it, also printed by PA, and, down below…

Keep up the great work and be sure to continue sharing
your writing successes with your fellow club members!

So, just by listing the company, Writer's Digest Book Club is actually promoting PA to all those beginning writers.

The Book Club is a quality outfit, and so I'm hoping they're unaware of PA's reputation and aren't sinking their own by pushing the fact that their members have been published.

And I also hope that a few of the members and moderators here will send Writer's Digest Book Club a letter informing them of how unprofessional and immoral it is to send any author to Them Who Must Not Be Named.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Diana Hignutt said:
But Ann, dear. If we don't occasionally spell out PA, this thread won't be as prominant in search engines when people enter "PublishAmerica." If we avoid writing it out, then when people do a search for "P......A......" they will find the company's lies and not our truths. We don't want that, do we?

Of course, I'm a recently reformed computer Luddite, so maybe, I'm wrong about that.

diana

No, I'm sure you are right! I just edited my post to address that! I think I need more sleep! Duh!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.