The Walking Dead - AMC

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I knew what was going to happen with the well walker; just didn't think it'd be shown in quite such detail. Excellent effects! So much for not contaminating the well. (Although, within the world of the story, we still don't know if there's even an actual pathogen involved. Maybe God just hates us.)

I wonder what the well walker's story was. I imagine he must have already been a walker, who at some point simply fell into the well. (Why wasn't the cover intact, though? You want to keep those things covered.)

Herschel's people had been using that water for their cattle, with no apparent ill effects. (Herschel being a farm vet would have noticed if any cattle fell ill.)

What's the electricity supply for the farmhouse? I seem to recall a windmill; guess that could be running a generator, but I don't remember if anyone mentioned it.

And there's a major point from the comics regarding the farm; wonder if that'll be in the show. I did notice Herschel quickly nixed the proposal of the group setting up over by the barn ....

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I wonder what the well walker's story was. I imagine he must have already been a walker, who at some point simply fell into the well. (Why wasn't the cover intact, though? You want to keep those things covered.)
It looked like a hole had broken thru the wooden well cover, which is what got Winnebago man's attention in the first place.
I seem to recall a windmill; guess that could be running a generator, but I don't remember if anyone mentioned it.

There was a windmill shown in the background working while Rick and Hershel were talking.
And there's a major point from the comics regarding the farm; wonder if that'll be in the show. I did notice Herschel quickly nixed the proposal of the group setting up over by the barn ....
And he shared a significant look and quick headshake with his daughter (?) when the others were discussing the necessity of killing Sophia if they found her and she'd been bit.

I never read the comics at all, but this seems to be headed in a very specific and obvious direction.

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
So what did it mean when Rick put his badge in the drawer? He's moving in? He's not going to be looking out for everyone except his family? He's not worrying about being out of uniform? He plans on taking the the drawer with him?

Also did he have 2?

Would anyone have had anything to drink from that well even if that dang walker hadn't split open?

Do they not have any cb's? Wouldn't make sense to leave one for Sophia?

Rick had his gun back. Didn't anyone there find that odd?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be drinking out of that well, no. Even if it had just been a regular ole' dead body in there, and not a Walker.

I'd be one of the first people to die in a zombie world, though. I need modern amenities to survive. :rolleyes:

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
I was curious about the "well walker dilemma" as well. It's a dead body you idgits, it's toxic with disease regardless. And yeah I noticed Rick had his gun I suppose we're just supposed to accept that and move on. Rick's wife is knocked up by Shane I guarantee it. And Daryl is really changing into something else. It's like now that he's away from his brother you see a different side of him, hes a solid guy with a good heart. I expect Merle to come back and Daryl having to confront him for doing something stupid/dangerous.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Rrrg, missed last two episodes :( catching up on Oct. 3oth airing.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to make sure no one felt like I was condemning heavier people to death. I was just trying to look at it logically and coldly. I still think that's why Shane did it because that's why I would have.

Will have to make sure i'm limber/agile/quick if I'm running next to you. :)
(you do the same, Darkshore ;) )

ooh, sweet, I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm an avid watcher of the show. Though I have to keep up with it on the net because I don't have cable.

Hello there, Night.

:D

(very bummed about missing these episodes and falling behind on the thread. No fun. :e2bummed: )

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Herschel's people had been using that water for their cattle, with no apparent ill effects. (Herschel being a farm vet would have noticed if any cattle fell ill.)....

That assumes that they were honest about using the water from that well.

Brian_G

Sir Brian the Fabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
Illinois, where our governors make our license pla
^ I also thought that it was said that the "disease" only effects humans. I could be wrong, but if it affected animals too, wouldn't we be seeing a ton of zombie animals walking around?

Last edited:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see a foot in the pantry...and I wouldn't drink out of a well that had a dead guy in it. And I think it was odd how he wanted them to move on as soon as they found the girl, I think they have a little family secret that they don't want anyone to find out about...maybe.

Not sure, but I think Rick is done looking out for everybody, that's why he wanted to stay there. They're kind of safe and it's not his place so he doesn't have to make the rules or deal with the one's who break them. :Shrug:

Hi, Debbie. fancy seeing you in here. :D

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
^ I also thought that it was said that the "disease" only effects humans. I could be wrong, but if it affected animals too, wouldn't we be seeing a ton of zombie animals walking around?

I've read a few zombie books. One of them, 2 people found a bunch of cattle that had been slaughtered. The MC there talks about how there were no zombie cows. That led to the discovery that it was humans only.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever the deal with the zombie in the water and why they bothered to try and get him out because I would NEVER drink water from that well unless it was literally a matter of life and death and then it didn't matter, I have to admit that it was all worth it for T-Dog's comment: "Good thing we decided not to just shoot him him in the head." Or something like that. Anyone remember the exact line? It gave me a great laugh.

I also did not understand the significance of putting the sheriff badge in the drawer and thought I saw two of them and was like, huh?

Didn't not notice a foot in the scene? Did see the little bed set up though.

ETA: Oh, okay, Brian. Whew. I usually catch those kinds of details and that would have been an important one to miss.

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I loved that line, too, Mel. I think it was something like, "Well, good thing we didn't do something stupid like shoot it in the head."

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of lines (still on last episode)

When that lady is stitching up T-Bone's arm and asking questions about the meds, she said 'You can thank Darryl for the clap.'

:ROFL:

Hey Night :hi:

Yup, little more vocal last season :D

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
I also did not understand the significance of putting the sheriff badge in the drawer and thought I saw two of them and was like, huh?

Rick is putting away his responsibility as a leader. Staying at the farm, he does not have to make the important and hard choices anymore. He is relegated to complying with the rules set forth by the owner of the place for so long as he seeks shelter there.

As to the two badges: I think one is for his hat and one for his shirt. The one on his hat he removed before handing the hat over to his son and that's why he had a badge on his shirt and one in his hand before the drawer scene. But I could be completely off base.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Rick is putting away his responsibility as a leader. Staying at the farm, he does not have to make the important and hard choices anymore. He is relegated to complying with the rules set forth by the owner of the place for so long as he seeks shelter there.

As to the two badges: I think one is for his hat and one for his shirt. The one on his hat he removed before handing the hat over to his son and that's why he had a badge on his shirt and one in his hand before the drawer scene. But I could be completely off base.

Does that mean when they leave, (Because you know they will, he'll take them out of the draw? Or will he just take the dresser with him?

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
Does that mean when they leave, (Because you know they will, he'll take them out of the draw? Or will he just take the dresser with him?

He'll take them out of the dresser drawer when they leave. Or when he's ready to lead again. That's the thing about symbolism. Once it's begun being used, it has to be maintained for continuity's sake.

We'll definitely see the badges again.

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I loved that line, too, Mel. I think it was something like, "Well, good thing we didn't do something stupid like shoot it in the head."

I loved that line, too! Also when Glenn is being lowered down into the well to get the walker out, and is trying to look cool in front of his girlfriend. They asked him how he was doing and he goes, "Living the dream." Cracked me up.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Another interpretation is that he's putting his former identity behind him. He probably wanted to be a LEO since he was a kid, because he's got a sense of justice and an instinct to protect others. But the Harrison County Sheriff Department no longer exists, law and order are just a concept, and Rick might have to do things he could never do when he was a uniformed deputy.

(This theme was stated in the pilot, when he told Merle, "All I am now is a man looking for his wife and child. Anybody gets in the way of that is gonna lose.") Lot of good themes in this show; lot of ambiguous actions.

Incidentally, Harrison County, Kentucky has a population (2010 census) of 18,000-something (no longer including Robert Kirkman). Cynthiana, the county seat (Rick's hometown, where the series begins) is 6,000-something. So coming to Atlanta probably would have been something of a culture shock, even without all the flesh-eating dead people.

Now, in the comic, Rick's suffering has barely begun. By the most recent issues: he's lost his right hand; his wife is dead but he still talks to her sometimes on a disconnected phone because he's half-crazy; his every attempt at leadership or long-term planning has led to unmitigated disaster; and his boy Carl just got half his face shot off via friendly fire, but is amazingly still alive.

Last edited: