The Bouncy Castle in Space

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh how fun! I used to play at Stonehenge as a child, it was a fabulous place for climbing and for hide-and-seek. That was back in the days when it wasn't fenced off and the most there would be would be a handful of tourists.

I never got to bounce on it though!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Kitty -your posts never fail to make me laugh.

Thanks everyone for the support. I can't believe some of the stupid mistakes I made, and I made the same ones repeatedly.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm failing miserably at the accountability thread, but I have my very first newspaper interview Friday morning. I'm too nervous to write. And all I can do is stare blindly at my cluttered, amazingly disorganized house and cringe. Of course, when the young cat came in a little bit ago and left me four deposits of slimed, partially digested grass, it didn't help my mood at all.

I might have to meet the journalist at a park. Seriously!

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Don't be afraid! That is wonderful news! Just ask them to meet you at a coffee shop and that will end the house/clutter stress. Congrats :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm failing miserably at the accountability thread, but I have my very first newspaper interview Friday morning. I'm too nervous to write. And all I can do is stare blindly at my cluttered, amazingly disorganized house and cringe. Of course, when the young cat came in a little bit ago and left me four deposits of slimed, partially digested grass, it didn't help my mood at all.

I might have to meet the journalist at a park. Seriously!

Neat!! Minus the cat barf part. Yeah, meet over coffee at a cafe. Or meet over drinks at a bar, and order a juice :D

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling very merry. 1.5 more days of school, and my writerly self esteem is at an all time high. The teachers all performed my very silly skit I wrote, and the kids were all laughing their heads off. Kids have been coming up to me all day and saying either "Wow, you wrote that? It was so good!" or "You're a squirrel!" or both. Lots of compliments from teachers too.

My Cute Student was very upset at the scene where the farmer (played by the principal) says mean stuff to the animals (played by me and some other teachers) and makes them fill out a Behavior Reflection Form. She came up to the principal afterward and told her off for being so mean to me :D The principal was laughing too hard to be mad about getting reprimanded by a 4th grader.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
...Or meet over drinks at a bar, and order a juice :D

Yes, always get the reporter drunk; the interview's a breeze after that. But how exciting. Good luck Sissy!

Yay for the end of school, Kitty. I remember how amazing it was to be out for the summer. As an adult, where all my seasons just blended together, I forgot that joy... until this year. I've discovered how much school being out affects my commute--no one taking their kids to school in the morning, everyone out on vacations. I truck right along, sometimes down to 45 min. Now I have a reason to look forward to the end of the school year.

ETA: Also, glad the skit went so well!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Sissy, good luck! And please come back with an update and let us know how it goes. We want all the sordid details:how drunk did the reporter get, and... just kidding! But do tell us about it.

Kitty, I'm glad your play was such a success! What will we do without your school stories for the next couple of months?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Um, you gals are all killing me with the bar jokes, but I'm seriously out in the middle of the sticks - well, okay, they are actually wheat stalks right now, or whatever the things wheat grows upon are called. I just know now that the wheat has been cut they are long, sharp pointy sticks that really hurt when your horses get out and you have to run through them to chase them down and bring them home. They will go right through a pair of jeans.

anyway, I think the nearest bar is fifteen miles away, so I'll have to give her a beer here at the house. I could meet her at the park, but all the kids in town know me and they'd want to sit and listen to every word. And the dogs all know me from being in the 4H dog project, so they'd all crowd around for petting and at least one would probably raise his leg on the reporter's shoe or something.

And I'll probably keep my granddaughter after her swimming lesson today so my house is going to be upside down.

but I'll get through it. No sweat. You've all made me laugh and realize it isn't going to be that big a deal.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Dogs, kids, chaos... I think it'll make for a great interview. Remember, you want to be charming, not perfect! Who wants to read a book by somebody with a perfect house?

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto what Ms. Judy said. I'm sure the reporter goes home to his/her own chaos every day.

Also, I have an addiction. I want to make this confession known. Date+cream cheese+pecan half on-top= NOM!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Okay - Kidd - I had to read that twice. I thought you were getting weird on me there.

I am hoping you mean like a fruit. Not an actual person date.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay - Kidd - I had to read that twice. I thought you were getting weird on me there.

I am hoping you mean like a fruit. Not an actual person date.

:roll:

Oh gosh. 0.5 more days of work. I shall persevere.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:No. I just make a habit of eating my dates Sissy because people are so yummy. Gosh. But for real, I mean the fruit. Wait...*reads again* O_O. No, definitely not like that. I'm a married woman after all.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Aaaccckkk!!! I didn't mean THAT at all!! I meant like chewing off arms and legs and such. Now I can't even think about it or I'll have to scratch out my eyeballs.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Whew! Survived the newspaper reporter's interview. She was a very nice lady, and we talked for over an hour. My son actually served her brownies and she actually ate them.

Then she threw me off balance when she told me she also teaches a social media class at the college and wants me to do a presentation for her class in the fall. Would I be willing?

I'm so not a public speaker. I'm not nearly smart enough. And speech class terrified me both in high school and in college.

Anyway, hoping the interview sounds like I have a little bit of sense, at least. And I plugged all of you guys several times.

Seriously, I have a couple of weeks before it comes out, so I shall see what comes of it. She was very excited, though, that they were the first to get to me. Seems to be some competition between all the little local papers in the area. She was glad to get the 'scoop'.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on making it through the interview, sissy! I'm sure you did an excellent job. :Jump:

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Whew! Survived the newspaper reporter's interview. She was a very nice lady, and we talked for over an hour. My son actually served her brownies and she actually ate them.

Then she threw me off balance when she told me she also teaches a social media class at the college and wants me to do a presentation for her class in the fall. Would I be willing?

I'm so not a public speaker. I'm not nearly smart enough. And speech class terrified me both in high school and in college.

Anyway, hoping the interview sounds like I have a little bit of sense, at least. And I plugged all of you guys several times.

Seriously, I have a couple of weeks before it comes out, so I shall see what comes of it. She was very excited, though, that they were the first to get to me. Seems to be some competition between all the little local papers in the area. She was glad to get the 'scoop'.

Hmm. Arent' I correct that you are somehow involved in 4H? If I got that wrong, ignore me. But if I am correct, then get some of the 4H kids to help you with the presentation. I'm only half-joking. My kids have become better public speakers than most adults I know through their experience at 4H. And just watching them learn these skills have improved mine enormously. It's not to do with being smart, it's to do with learning the skills, then preparing well, and putting the skills into practice.

Prepare, practice, get feedback, then go for it! If you can write a book, you can do a presentation. Seriously, you can do it! Feel honored, and do it, and enjoy every moment. :)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kitty, I'm glad your play was such a success! What will we do without your school stories for the next couple of months?

well, I'm laying low for a few weeks, then I'm headed up to Oregon for about a month to help my folks remodel their new house. It's kinda in the fixer upper end of the home spectrum, and they are in their mid sixties so I don't want them to do the work themselves. So I will soon have many tales of remodeling/overbearing parent dramas. I aim to please! ;)

I ate a really exciting cheese today! It was caramel flavored goat cheese! Where has it been all my life??? It is called Ski Queen gjetost. Nom nom.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I always enjoy exciting Cheese News, and I have to say, caramel-flavored goat cheese sounds like one of those culinary combinations you wouldn't think would work, but then it blows you away.

Have you guys been following the Martha Payne story? It's a great "kid takes on grown ups and wins" story. Also a lesson that anyone can make a big difference in the world. Very heartwarming.

In brief: 9 year-old Martha started a blog called Never Seconds, and began reporting (with pictures) the sad state of her school's lunches. Noticed by celebrity chefs, she soon became famous, and the school tried to ban her from taking pictures. Outrage ensued. She kept blogging, but instead of cashing in (many offers - books, movies, etc), she asked visitors to donate to a charity that provides lunches to the poor in Africa.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Father's Day... yeah. My dad died when I was 13, never met either of my grandfathers, so... not my favorite holiday.

My ex has been acting weird since school got out, because he has no friends at all so the only time he talks to another adult is when he comes to pick up or drop the boys. But 13yo is off camping with friends, and 17yo drives himself there now. Plus both boys have decided they can't take Dad for half the week, so they live with me Sunday-Friday.

So I kind of guilt-tripped my 17yo into doing something nice for his dad for Father's Day. Get him a card, maybe go out to eat.

So Sunday morning, 17yo wishes his dad Happy Father's Day and gives him a hug. Then he asks Dad if he'd like to go out to lunch together to celebrate.

Dad's answer? He'd love to, but he has some mushrooms in the fridge that'll go bad if he doesn't eat them soon.