Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody need socks? I'm spending the weekend knitting socks.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is what I was thinking. A local shop sells meal worms and loose bird seed. I know the bird seed will be a hit, but any ideas about the meal worms?

Obviously this isn't the only food in my garden, there's lots of plants with seeds on and tiny insects. Also a neighbour puts out food, but I want to help the little critters where I can, and the cat likes the entertainment.

Meal worms are only good if you already have insectivores in your neighborhood. And for me, Bluebirds are rarely in my backyard since they like open areas, but I have other insect eaters. My area is so rich with bugs that feeding mealies last summer and fall was a lost cause unless I put them right under a nest :)

Alive or dead mealworms? Either way they have to come in when it rains or get a good feeder or only put out what will soon be eatten.

And look into putting native plants in your garden that will feed year round, preferably for species you already see.

Anybody need socks? I'm spending the weekend knitting socks.

I bought a bunch of socks recently but I'm curious what kind youre making.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
My area is so rich with bugs that feeding mealies last summer and fall was a lost cause unless I put them right under a nest :)

Alive or dead mealworms? Either way they have to come in when it rains or get a good feeder or only put out what will soon be eatten.

Good points. I have blue / coal and great tits (I see you, I see you and your wriggling eyebrows cantina), they eat all our caterpillars and so on, so perhaps they are already provided for.

And look into putting native plants in your garden that will feed year round, preferably for species you already see.

I already I try to do this, and the sparrows are little crackers at whizzing around after I've hoed the veggies and picking up insects and things. The other birds are great at picking up greenfly from the roses and other insects from the fruit trees.

I'll just keep plugging away at what I'm doing I think. I did see a wren hopping it's way down the fence last week so I know the little critters are there somewhere. And do you know? i have never once bought pesticides for my garden. I mean apart from the fact that they're a bad idea anyway, I don't need them, I've got feathered friends.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
ION, I went down town and mooched around the library. They have three copies of Fifty Shades, I suppose if it puts words in front of peoples eyes that's good right? Or am I on par with these people I moan about who espouse real literature now? I suppose I am. *dons hypocritical hipsters (they're related to my pedantic pants)*

Sadly, I found nothing I wanted to read. Oh well.

People are letting off fireworks.

'Remember, remember, the fifth of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot.'

Except we can't read a calendar, and we can't wait any longer,
So we're lighting it, ready or not!

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of socks recently but I'm curious what kind youre making.

Just plain old knitted socks, the kind you see all the time. Only they'll actually FIT me.

They're blue. I like blue.

I'll post pictures when I'm done, how's that sound?

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Evening. I have a social engagement (spending the evening on the Sister In Law's couch sipping tea) tonight. Also, I just watched Pride & Prejudice the 2005 movie version. Nom. The miniseries will grace my teevee from tomorrow onward.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Good morning Cantina. Yes, It is still morning here. Coffee is brewing, but I've yet to actually drink any.

I gotta come up with my next scene. And I got a good review back on Vampire Baron! :) whooot. Except the character has a moment of stupid, I have to fix that....

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina. Yes, It is still morning here. Coffee is brewing, but I've yet to actually drink any.

I gotta come up with my next scene. And I got a good review back on Vampire Baron! :) whooot. Except the character has a moment of stupid, I have to fix that....

Give it to meeeeeeee. I love everything about this premise and I promise to be a good reader/comment giver!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon Cantina. I had a super busy day at work. I'm about ready to collaspe. I may take a nap.

It does get hard, too, because much of it is about endurance as well. BUT it's also incredibly fun and rewarding. If you end up wanting to research, I'd be happy to help you find a place to give it ago. Most will let you do a free trial class.
Considering my lack of enthusiasm and dedication to working out, plain old research might be a better option. I just thought that, being the pipsqueak that I am, knowing a little self-defense could do me some good.

Was approached by a 22-year-old stoner on a dating site. I... am weirded out.
Sounds to me like you need to find a better dating site.

And no, that is a good mix of seed. Even finches will crack open sunflowers. And less millet is usually good as it is kinda like the junk food of grains.
Yep. It's put in seed mixes primarily as filler. The only birds I've ever seen to prefer them are juncos.

And yay for bird talk!

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Huzzah for suddenly wanting to turn an existing WIP into a potential sequel for a brand new WIP you think up while eating chocolate pudding in a bathtub!

... is there some kind of test you can do to determine if your brain actually does actively hate you?

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
People are letting off fireworks.

'Remember, remember, the fifth of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot.'

Except we can't read a calendar, and we can't wait any longer,
So we're lighting it, ready or not!
Whenever I read this, I always hear it in Hugo Weaving's voice now. :D

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
We have trick-or-treaters. Yes, I know Halloween was Wednesday, but thanks to Sandy, it got moved back until tonight. I think we had close to ten, which is about right for a our neighborhood nowadays. When I was little, there used to be hoards of kids prowling the streets. We used to run out of candy every year. We'll have lots of leftovers again, which is fine by me. My mom bought the full-size candy bars this year. :D

ETA: I can tell it's Saturday. This place is empty.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm here!

I picked the last stray pepper off the plants today (some small ones got left behind, maybe they'll be good in the morning). I also covered the celeriac loosely.

Last week I harvested an entire grocery bag full of peppers. Guess what I've been eating this week? I still have to cook the rest.

Good points. I have blue / coal and great tits (I see you, I see you and your wriggling eyebrows cantina), they eat all our caterpillars and so on, so perhaps they are already provided for.

I already I try to do this, and the sparrows are little crackers at whizzing around after I've hoed the veggies and picking up insects and things. The other birds are great at picking up greenfly from the roses and other insects from the fruit trees.

I'll just keep plugging away at what I'm doing I think. I did see a wren hopping it's way down the fence last week so I know the little critters are there somewhere. And do you know? i have never once bought pesticides for my garden. I mean apart from the fact that they're a bad idea anyway, I don't need them, I've got feathered friends.

At least you weren't arguing with your aunt over how many tits are too many! Bwah ha ha.

And you should still have insectivores in the winter. I have to put the suet out soon, which is a good substitute.

And yes, pesticide free gardens are important. For one thing bees = food.

This spring I started with a slug problem but I'd put out water for the toads. When I went out to slug hunt one weekend when the problem was bad, I was surprised to only find one. The toads beat me too it. :) And every time a pest problem started to get bad, the numbers would drop again. Except adult squash bugs. But there were never any mediums and rarely any babies. Anything that will eat those bastards are awesome.

Just plain old knitted socks, the kind you see all the time. Only they'll actually FIT me.

They're blue. I like blue.

I'll post pictures when I'm done, how's that sound?

Sounds good. And wool? Cotton? Other?

Yep. It's put in seed mixes primarily as filler. The only birds I've ever seen to prefer them are juncos.

And yay for bird talk!

:) Tis the season.

I saw a woodpecker today. Havent seen them much since I got skimpy on the feed. It's prolly time to start beefing up the supply.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Good Morning Friends!

I'll be going to the library in a few hours and then I shall write all the words. I haven't been to the library in a few weeks, I desperately need this.

Happy Writing All!

Have fun!

You guys have lost me.

V in V for vendetta made that speech. He's played by Hugo Weaving

In one of my WIPs, a couple of my characters are fans of a made-up TV show, so now I'm finding myself writing the made-up TV show's plot more than the real story's plot...

It's kinda fun.

Sounds awesome

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A story in a story is fun :)

Tomorrow I take the warhorse to his first show. He's not allowed to kill me. Or maim me. Or make me look really bad. Or do something that will make me worry he's gonna get himself killed, like galloping toward the road.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
So today I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse for my laptop. The keyboard is big, I like it.

I also finished my short story and now need to edit it. I never thought I'd enjoy writing about pirates. I'll be looking for beta readers soon. PM me if you're interested. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.