liquid food ideas

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Silenia's post reminded me to mention chorizo. It's meat, it makes its own sauce, and it's delicious, and no chewing required.

That would be Mexican chorizo. Spanish chorizo is a dried sausage: delicious, but completely different, and not at all suitable for a non-chewing person.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Puddings--not the instant kind.

I second polenta--easy to make. 6 cups water, 1 cup cornmeal, 1 tsp.salt. Bring to boil (stir occasionally) then simmer for about a half hour or so, covered, with lid partly off. Swirl in tomato sauce.

Banana ice cream--mush up frozen very ripe peeled bananas, add some maple syrup or honey.

Biscuits--eat the the insides. Very soft and should melt in your mouth.

Hope you heal fast!

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, is that all there is to polenta? I could do that!

Maryn, seeking new dishes

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Polenta = corn meal mush with an Italian accent. It really is that simple. You can make it as soft or firm as you choose. (It gets stiffer as it sits, so you can slice it and fry it.)

Silenia

Registered
Reaction score
Or instead of frying the polenta after you've sliced it, use it in an oven dish with a lot of liquid/soft stuff. Thick tomato sauces, for example, but there are other options as well. Spinach (the whole-leaf form, not the "ground to some green slimy substance, then deep-frozen" stuff most supermarkets around here seem to prefer selling) tastes pretty well in such dishes, too, or you can add some rucola or other bitter/spicy lettuce variation after you've removed it from the oven.

You can also mix things through the polenta itself. I like adding some feta and/or olives through it to give it a bit more taste.

RobLineberger

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds so bad. I'm sorry. You can't talk for a month? I would spaz out and die right then.

You have a great opportunity here to learn cooking techniques that you never tried, and to taste things you never have before. Eat your oatmeal/smoothie/healthy food that makes your stomach want to revolt, so you can stay alive. Then get something to look forward to. White truffle oil. The finest dark chocolate truffle you have ever tasted. Hot sauces. Mango reduction with sea salt and bitters.

Bitters? Sure. Learn to make them. Orange bitters take two hours.

Do you make your own chicken stock, the home chef's can't lose, home run secret weapon? If not, now is the time. Homemade chicken stock.... Best thing ever. How about a twist? Pork stock. Duck stock. Alligator stock.

Sweet potatoes baked until they are carmelized, then puréed with butter, maple syrup, and a peeled orange, are heavenly.

Chili verde, with roasted tomatillos, roasted pasillos, garlic, etc is amazing. You will need to pick out the pork. That sucks but the green base is the thing I lick out of the pot when no one is looking.

Vietnamese pho is a stock base with fried shallots, rice noodles, green onions, basil, etc. you can eat it a dozen times in a row until you get sick of it.

Ask a local chef what he does for a garnish syrup or a reduction glaze.

Order a shipment of gourmet mushrooms or gourmet berries.

Learn to make your own ice cream. Or make a kind you never have before.

Do you have a gas range? Roasted red peppers.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
You can also mix things through the polenta itself. I like adding some feta and/or olives through it to give it a bit more taste.
With creamy polenta, my sons and I mix in tomato sauce. My husband likes it with butter and finely grated parmesan cheese mixed in.

Has someone mentioned mushing-up frozen bananas with a bit of cold milk with a fork? Instant "ice cream." And you can add chocolate syrup. :)

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
My mushed banana fave is to cook a sliced banana with a little butter and brown sugar - a minute or 2 in the microwave will usually do, depending on the size of the thing. It all melts together in deliciousness. (You can mush it some more with a fork when it's done if you want it smoother.)