The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
MariahJ said:
I have been lurking and gathering good info from the many here. One comment on whether this HB person is here or not, I have noticed some similarities to writing style and manner also of him and some here, but I wasn't going to say anything. Is this PA war that big? Is HB a PA employee or not?

Thanks

MJ
:welcome: Glad to have you Mariah and all the rest of you that are new. As for "the one we don't speak of" nobody really cares who he works for. He doesn't really effect us one way or the other. We just like to talk about him sometimes because he's great for being the butt end of our jokes:Shrug:
Sheri girl, please get your genders right. :wag:Your as bad as PA. They still call me Mr. and they even have my picture. My picture~Long curly hair, a dress and sandals, 5' (and cute) and they still call me Mr. See, not only do they not edit, they don't look at your picture either.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ed Williams said:
On the PA front, they've finally changed their "New Releases" page. Looks like about 184 books, but remember that this page hasn't been updated in approximately a couple of weeks. All in all, it looks like PA book production is definitely not what it used to be. Now is not the time to let up, though, we need to turn the screws even tighter, and I feel confident that's exactly what's going to happen.
I was tired last night and forgot to comment on this. First, I am always thankful to someone with the intestinal fortitude to monitor the Evil Voodoo PA Page. I can't look at it. Every time I try, I have to go running for the Prilosec.

After several weeks running of near record low new releases, there are now 184. So -- does Larry have a new freshman flock to fleece? Of course, the contracts on these would have been signed at least a year ago. Let's just cross our fingers and hope that the number of new contracts trickling in is so low that it's causing Stooge Insomnia.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
:welcome: Glad to have you Mariah and all the rest of you that are new. As for "the one we don't speak of" nobody really cares who he works for. He doesn't really effect us one way or the other. We just like to talk about him sometimes because he's great for being the butt end of our jokes:Shrug:
Sheri girl, please get your genders right. :wag:Your as bad as PA. They still call me Mr. and they even have my picture. My picture~Long curly hair, a dress and sandals, 5' (and cute) and they still call me Mr. See, not only do they not edit, they don't look at your picture either.
Well, soak me in brine, Mem, and call me a dolt. I don't get out much, okay? Just don't ever call me as bad as PA or I'll send you a photo of me in a really bad mood. It'll straighten that curly hair out pretty quick.

Welcome, Mariah.

Shemp = butt end. Need we say more?
:crazy:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
NancyMehl said:
I'm not out any money, but when you keep telling people you sold an article to WD - but it never shows up....well, after a while they start to look at you funny.

Again, I wonder if my PA connection had anything to do with it.

If that did make a difference to them, they were being silly. :) I published one with them (though it was originally meant to be published in their magazine on writing fiction). And at the time, my only paid publishing credit was an author profile in Gothic Journal magazine. However, they took out one of the best quotes. An e-publisher said that when she learned authors were considering signing up with a vanity publisher, she always asked them if they would pay McDonald's for a job.

I still think my article was a fluke. I got the assignment after writing a letter to the editor of the fiction magazine. :)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Hmmm, if the releases are reflecting what may have happened a year ago, I guess I'll have to look in the index to see what we were doing at the time since our actions should have been making an impact on their operations.

Apparently a year ago, the hot events were the PA convention, Behler, and Dee's arrival. I'm guessing that PA shot itself in the foot with the presence of those armed guards (pun intended) and scared off a lot of new writers through word of mouth by those who attended.

Last edited:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Well, soak me in brine, Mem, and call me a dolt. I don't get out much, okay? Just don't ever call me as bad as PA or I'll send you a photo of me in a really bad mood. It'll straighten that curly hair out pretty quick.

Welcome, Mariah.

Shemp = butt end. Need we say more?
:crazy:
Okay, I take it back about being as bad as PA but you really should get out more. I mean Sheri, I never leave my house and I can still tell the difference;) We have picnics to go to today and bands to hear so keep everyone in line. As for the Pa thread, I applaud Ed too because I can't stand to listen to all that rubbish. Makes me want to puke! You all have a great day!

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Okay, I take it back about being as bad as PA but you really should get out more. I mean Sheri, I never leave my house and I can still tell the difference;) We have picnics to go to today and bands to hear so keep everyone in line. As for the Pa thread, I applaud Ed too because I can't stand to listen to all that rubbish. Makes me want to puke! You all have a great day!
Apology accepted, Mem. You need to work on the tone, though -- it's outrageously dramatic and borders on escapade.

Give me a break, girlie! I was too busy to leave the house yesterday. I was consumed with having -- I mean writing all that sex, you know. Perhaps I'd better proofread it today to make sure I could tell the difference. :ROFL:

Enjoy your picnics.

Contract gone, book out
For a dollar, Dear Lord, no
Pass to Paradi$e.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
MariahJ said:
I have been lurking and gathering good info from the many here. One comment on whether this HB person is here or not, I have noticed some similarities to writing style and manner also of him and some here, but I wasn't going to say anything. Is this PA war that big? Is HB a PA employee or not?

Welcome MJ, I think...

Pardon me for being a tad cynical, but it seems that the last couple of times this thread has apparently left Shempy in the dust, there is a post from a new member (and also their first post on AW) that resurrects the subject (no pun intended). But perhaps I am being prematurely accusative...

Rob

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
zizban said:
Leaving the hosue is overrated. Confusing writing about sex with actually having sex is a sign you need to write more, to get those silly non writing thoughts out of your head. :D
Yeah, I found only one instance of Ricky Bob lying back, bosom heaving, gazing upon Zelda Sue's glistening, rippling pecs. I guess it's a good thing I don't write Romance, huh? :roll:

Last edited:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
MariahJ said:

Thanks

MJ

:welcome: Mariah J. Shemp is dead -- Best to leave sleeping dog lie. :horse: (couldn't find a dog.)

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
Sheryl Nantus said:
I can beat that.

I got tossed outta Brownies.

:D

How the heck does one get tossed out of Brownies???

-----Never mind, read forward.. unruly and excitable kid and leaders sucked at leading. I had a kid like that when I was a Brownie leader. I ended up finding ways to channel that energy (did I really need another assitant? noooo, but she needed the leadership) and by the time she moved on to Guides, she had settled herself down enough to not annoy the hell out of the next leader!

J

Last edited:

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
It could be that...

...the last few months have been short as far as PA releases is concerned due to the fact that since Atlanta Nights they find themselves actually forced to read a portion of each submission, to make sure another sting does not catch them. The output dropped right around the time of Atlanta Nights, if I recall correctly.

Seems that they have hired more people, so it may be that they are able to process more. But in any case, you have to think that Atlanta Nights has changed the way PA does some of it's "business".

Elwood: "We gotta go see the penguin."

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
writerjenn said:
How the heck does one get tossed out of Brownies???

I think it's quite hard.

meanwhile, back in PA-land two threads are good eats -

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/8651.htm
http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/8695.htm

the first is the ever-loving "we'll open our own bookstore!" thread where the main force backs down on supplying a business plan - seems he's just the Idea Man and now plans to tell his "friends" who were going to open the bookstore that there's no interest. JeanMarie is at her best here along with Esper, pointing out the lack of a business plan or plain old fashioned commonsense. Of course Idea Man has a Ph.D; so he blows them off.

the second is the classic "I didn't win a Pulitizer!" thread - however, someone does point out that the standings on Amazon mean nothing since his royalty check was so small... and the PP guy is now debating that, since there's NO WAY that PublishAmerica books aren't selling.

ah, ignorance...

:roll:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
lindylou45 said:
:welcome: Mariah J. Shemp is dead -- Best to leave sleeping dog lie. :horse: (couldn't find a dog.)
Oh, you've done it now, Linda. Kev's going to be after you big-time for calling Purple a dog. :ROFL: The site is looking good. I'm hunting for my e-mail editing battle of the wits. Well, there was one wit involved. I may slap it up there.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
*thud*

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11898.htm

"You know I never understand why people need to have their books critiqued by a stranger. I have found that after our books are out, your friends on the board will most likely will give you , a friendly and gratifying one. If you look on Amazon and other places, every P.A author there has reviews that are done by their family and friends, as I and others have."

:Jaw:

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Questions --

I hate to bust in on the fun, gang, but I have a couple of serious questions. I know these questions have been discussed to a degree, but need to refresh. To those who have lately sent a certified or registered mail to PA, what was their genreal "tone" when responding? The usual? And how did you address yours? To the so called CEO's or an individual?

Thanks!

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
"You know I never understand why people need to have their books critiqued by a stranger. I have found that after our books are out, your friends on the board will most likely will give you , a friendly and gratifying one. If you look on Amazon and other places, every P.A author there has reviews that are done by their family and friends, as I and others have."
It's only a short hop to the next "rational" choice:

Why not review your book yourself; use pseudonyms so people don't get the wrong idea (i.e. you're not objective). You'll probably get even more gratifying reviews and you can "get" a whole lot of them. That will certainly drive your sales up, too.

Rob

ZaZ

Banned
Reaction score
Website
thebobshow.buzznet.com
What a load of *HEEHAW*

Ed Williams said:
P.S. Fellow denizens of AW, we have gone over 200,000 page views for this thread! Two hundred thousand! I had someone email me the other day and say they loved the info presented here and the fact that we're a wonderful "literary soap opera." Personally, I think ZaZ is the true drawing card for this thread, his quiet epistles of friendship, togetherness, and sobriety draw people in here like magnets....

This is true hilarity at its finest. :ROFL:

My quiet epistles have garnered me such fine red square comments as, "Negative towards too many without cause," and "Hurt cannot be overcome with more hurt." Then the always amusing red squares with no comment.

Dum..dum...dummmmmmm. :box:

Togetherness, I'd just like to tell about 86% of you to go to...*honking horn*

The liquor store was open today at 8am. I wasn't there to get a twelve pack right away; I slept in 'til around noon. It wasn't that I was drunk on last night's festivities. I was still brutally crippled from the night prior.

:Lecture:

In closing, you want soap opera? I'll give ya an asterisk laden diatribe of operatic soap. Like a bar of Lava for your *hoo-HAW* *whirl-whirl* sphincter.

And now back to watching the Masters... :cool:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
"You know I never understand why people need to have their books critiqued [meaning "reviewed"] by a stranger."
No doubt that person doesn't understand why people need to have their books bought by a stranger, either.

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Diana Hignutt said:
I'll be at the PA trial. Okay, maybe not the criminal one, but at one of the civil cases...

I'll bet I'll have a better seat than most anyone...

(patience, my friends, patience)

diana
Will you be the one throwing popcorn at Meiner's little bald dome from the galley above? If so, I'm gettin' out my Orville Redenbacker.

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
Literary Lola said:
Will you be the one throwing popcorn at Meiner's little bald dome from the galley above? If so, I'm gettin' out my Orville Redenbacker.

LOL, Lola! I can see us now! We'll be sitting up in the galley with our crazy hats on, throwing popcorn down on the Stooges. That would be a hoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.