The Emotional Drain. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAmir

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about 60k words into my rough draft - first book in a series. It's going very well and there are days I can't wait to get a chance to sit down and write.

But sometimes it's overwhelming. Not the writing part, but the emotion I pour into it. Frankly, the book is not a happy one with a lovely ending...and it's not looking like many of the characters are going to end on anything better than a bittersweet note at best. Most won't even get that if I stay "true" to what I want this series to be/portray.

But it hurts. Today I've been feeling a bit depressed, having just come out of writing a very intense chapter. There are days when I just want to say "screw it" and write something HAPPY going on with my MCs for a change, even though it'd be totally out of context and never make it into the book itself. Just for a breather, though.

Anyone else get down and blue after writing some heavy stuff?

:(

TheAmir

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I take it as, too. I'm putting my heart into this, and sometimes it aches more than my brain does with all the plotting and digging for words, etc.

I'm glad I'm getting drained emotionally, but it's exhausting at times.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Blech, no. Writing itself is boring... no need to make it worse by being depressed.

That said, I have depressive episodes that have nothing to do with writing. So writing helps me stay focused rather than let thoughts dally away into darkness... and not the fun kind of darkness either. :evil

To each his/her own.

TheAmir

Registered
Reaction score
Blech, no. Writing itself is boring... no need to make it worse by being depressed.

That said, I have depressive episodes that have nothing to do with writing. So writing helps me stay focused rather than let thoughts dally away into darkness... and not the fun kind of darkness either. :evil

To each his/her own.

I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I know about the not fun dark places, and sometimes writing takes me there, though it is not the biggest or most common trigger. And, yes, sometimes it does help me keep from those twisted thoughts too.

That said, I find writing "fun". I've always loved it. There are days I don't feel like doing it until I am actually -doing- it, but I never find it boring...unless I'm doing some article for a content mill. THAT'S soul sucking to me. Some people can whip out those content articles and find them fun. I can whip them out but I can't ever remember having one I found very fun. Even getting the blues over my own project is preferable, to me, than being bored to tears checking my keyword density and making an article on locksmith services sound exciting.

But as you said, to each their own.

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
If such heavy emotions are being poured into your writing, it will certainly show and the reader will certainly feel your pain and intensity. That's a good thing.

Writing is therapeutic, in my opinion. Especially when there are a lot of pent up issues and emotions held inside. Writing is what I do when I can't keep the anxiety inside anymore, but I'm sorry to hear that sometimes this creates more tension for you. Do you have anything that helps you relax? It's good to pour your heart and soul into your writing, but if it brings you down, maybe a secondary, lighter project would be helpful. Sometimes you have to get those demons out onto paper though and ride out that storm.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Well I don't find writing articles on locksmith services or checking keyword density terribly fun, either. Then again I don't write about any of those things.

I've stuck to fiction, mostly, because I love to lie.

To put my lies on paper or on a keyboard somehow leaves room for some truth in my heart, if that makes any sense. To spin yarn is my outlet. It's my imagination that makes the mundane task of writing worthwhile.

Writing is just boring. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say that writing itself isn't what I love to do. I have to do it because I've always a need to express myself. But telling truths disguised as lies, loads more fun. Telling lies just to tell them... even better. Getting paid to tell my lies... priceless.

When I have more money, I'll find other ways to lie, although I'll probably keep writing if only out of habit, and, well, if it's making me money why fix something that isn't broken, right?

Maybe that's why I don't get depressed with the heavier parts of my stories, because I know they're lies I tell myself and convince everyone to believe in.

Last edited:

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Oh, I feel you. My novel is quite emotionally intense and very heavy in places, and I'm someone who really needs to be there feeling it with the characters when I work. After really intense scenes I feel pretty put through the wringer, and sometimes have to take a day or two off. Most of the good things for my characters come with emotional complexities and added difficulties, which sometimes just sucks. Sometimes I wish I could write romances instead, for the happy endings!

I do sometimes stop and work on something happy with my characters--I don't necessarily write it, just think through it. Stuff in their past, mostly, like maybe their most recent Christmas. Sometimes, just for funsies, I play with "what if they went to Disneyland?" or something (even though at the date of the novel, not even Mickey Mouse exists). Just to play with them a bit. It's not "canon", but it's a good mental break.

TheAmir

Registered
Reaction score
Well I don't find writing articles on locksmith services or checking keyword density terribly fun, either. Then again I don't write about any of those things.

I've stuck to fiction, mostly, because I love to lie.

To put my lies on paper or on a keyboard somehow leaves room for some truth in my heart, if that makes any sense. To spin yarn is my outlet. It's my imagination that makes the mundane task of writing worthwhile.

Writing is just boring. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say that writing itself isn't what I love to do. I have to do it because I've always a need to express myself. But telling truths disguised as lies, loads more fun. Telling lies just to tell them... even better. Getting paid to tell my lies... priceless.

When I have more money, I'll find other ways to lie, although I'll probably keep writing if only out of habit, and, well, if it's making me money why fix something that isn't broken, right?

Maybe that's why I don't get depressed with the heavier parts of my stories, because I know they're lies I tell myself and convince everyone to believe in.

I'll address this first:

I write to tell a truth, or what I perceive to be the truth as I understand it. It may be a truth masked, symbolically or through a fictional/made-up scenario, but I do it to make a point about something, large or small. It is a very personal thing to me and I fully believe that if a writer does not -feel- anything when they write, the reader won't either.

All of my favorite novels (or, almost all) end on a note of despair or, at least, with some emotional punch to the gut. I'll never forget reading the last lines of Animal Farm when I was in 4th grade: "No question now what has happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which."

or when I was a little older, reading the original ending of the Plague Dogs, Grapes of Wrath, 1984, Lord of the Flies, The Road, etc etc. None of these are "happy" stories, but they are the ones that stick with me and make me think. I like filler as much as anyone. As a teenager in the 90s, I had a "thing" for V.C. Andrews books. Of course, I try to read them now and it's endless eye-rolling. However, I also did a 10 page book report on Paradise Lost when I was a Junior while the rest of my classmates were struggling to write a page on "The Outsiders".

I'm not saying I was better or smarter than they (I'm not), I'm saying I've always been profoundly moved by an author who has the guts to put what they believe is a "hard truth" down to print. Many find that boring. Tedious. The very opposite reason they want to read or write. There are many folks who would prefer a fun yarn (dark or light) to that emotional gut punch. I don't fault anyone for this, even if I don't quite understand it myself.

So I want to write the same thing, even when I come away from my computer feel exhausted from the effort.

However - your life is your life, and your choices are your choices. Obviously, this is just opinion, and everyone's got one and they are usually vastly different.

Back on topic:

I think I've just been writing too much too hard this week. I take breaks on the weekend to clear my mind/mood and spend time with my husband and 2 year old daughter. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Last night I took a break from writing and sketched some art instead. It helped - just mindless doodling. Better mood this morning. My writing doesn't stress me out to a break down point or anything, but it does give me the blues from time to time, that's all. Just wondered if other authors ever went through this themselves :)

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I've gone into depressions after killing off a much-loved character, so what you're describing isn't unusual. But it sounds as if your book is nothing but doom and gloom, which is a bit concerning. Not every story needs a happy ending, obviously, but maybe your subconscious is sending you a message to lighten up a bit and cut those characters (and your eventual readers) a break.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons most of the stuff I write is fairly light. And one of the reasons I write romance, so there is always a happy ending.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky, but I don't pour emotion into a story. I'm making up a tale. If I do it right, the tale reveals a truth, but it's still just a made up tale. Again, if I do it right, the characters seem like real people who could walk off the page, but they aren't aren't. Nothing that happens to them happens to a real person.

For me, making up a story is an intellectual activity, not an emotional one. I'd be a complete wreck, if I had to feel things because my characters do. It just isn't required. I go into a zone when I write, no different than the zone I'm in when playing football, or chess, or anything else. The zone is not one of emotion, but one of concentrating on doing everything right without emotion. It's just turning on the zone, and using that to intellectually putting the pieces of the story in place.

Nor do I find the process of writing boring. It's fun. It's a lot of fun. If it weren't, I wouldn't do it at all. Life is too short to put in all those hours doing something that bores me. There are too many other things to do that are fun, and too many other ways of making money.

Anyway, heavy or light doesn't matter to me. It's still just a tale I'm constructing.

TheAmir

Registered
Reaction score
I've gone into depressions after killing off a much-loved character, so what you're describing isn't unusual. But it sounds as if your book is nothing but doom and gloom, which is a bit concerning. Not every story needs a happy ending, obviously, but maybe your subconscious is sending you a message to lighten up a bit and cut those characters (and your eventual readers) a break.

Not ALL of it is gloom doom and death, but there's a good bit of it that is. The world is NOT a happy place (in reality nor in the series I'm working on- whole other can of worms). That said, there are strands of hope and silver linings here and there and some of the characters, end up finding a measure of peace (more or less). The atmosphere, as a whole though is not a pleasant one. And I don't want it to be a pleasant one. That is not for this project. Maybe another time.

As I mentioned - some of my favorite novels are -not- happy ones. But that is why I like them - they are real. They don't pull the emotional punches in favor of sugar coating the hard truth of something. If I have to deal with the blues now and then after a week of writing some intense scenes, I'll deal and have my wind-down break time.

Again, was more or less curious if others had gone through the same thing, not, necessarily, wanting advice on if I should change the tone of the series or think of a happy ending. I understand the advice, appreciate it, but was more just wondering if others had ever come away from a scene feeling as if they've had the wind knocked out of them.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always feel drained after writing a big action scene, as though I were right there scrambling along with the characters. One time, I came to a scene where my character would have to climb a tree and I thought, "Bwurrgghh I don't wanna climb a treeee!" Then I remembered that I didn't have to...my character did. :D But yea, I was really freaking tired after writing that scene.

I have felt sad after sad or stressful scenes, but it doesn't last long, probably cause I take frequent breaks where I grab a few gummy bears or some other snack to keep me going.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Every freaking day. Or at least most days. :tongue

I put a lot of myself into my writing too, and have always been drawn to sadder stories. My current project's themes have weighed heavily on me my whole life, so it's an opportunity to examine them from a variety of perspectives. It's both an emotional and intellectual challenge, so I figure even if I never sell this thing, the personal growth was real, and priceless. (I would never exploit my deepest wells of existential anguish for material gain alone. :tongue )

Basically I just try to keep my real life as content as possible to balance things out. I drink good tea, I bake, I read. Working part-time gets me out of the house and my own head for a little while. My husband and I also make it a priority to do something together when we're both home. When disaster strikes RL, I'm disciplined enough now that I can usually still get my writing done, but it's not something I can sustain for long.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I always cry and freak out while writing. Pretty much every time. Whatever my characters feel, I feel--and I like it that way.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky, but I don't pour emotion into a story. I'm making up a tale.......Anyway, heavy or light doesn't matter to me. It's still just a tale I'm constructing.

I feel the same way. The only drain I get from writing is if I write a great deal more in a day than I normally do. Then it will feeling draining because I'm just tired.

I mentioned in another thread that I sometimes feel emotional in a way I hope the reader will, but that's few and far between and I can write a lot of sad stuff without getting there.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a very empathic person, so I tend to feel what others are feeling. I can sense if someone close to me is upset, or hiding their feelings, or whatever, and I tend to feel their emotions as if they were my own. The same is true when I read a good novel. I get sucked into it, and I will get anxious, or angry, or sad, according to whatever is happening to the MC. I've read The Time Traveler's Wife a dozen times already, and yet I still weep when I reach the ending. Same for Lord of the Rings, when Frodo leaves.

This empathy spills over into my writing. I feel everything my characters feel, at least during the first and second drafts. I'm right there with them when they get their hearts broken, and it can send me into a depressive tailspin, or a funk, or whatever. Once I've read the whole story a number of times, and I'm working on later revisions, I can distance myself a little, so it doesn't bother me as much. But early on? Yup, I get pretty emotional.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I laugh and cry my way through my books. I'm fortunate that I often write bits that make me chuckle and those bits come during some of the darkest parts of the stories.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I must be evil. The more wretched my characters are, the faster I write and the higher I get on it.

I'm glad I'm not the only person thinking they must be evil. I write better and enjoy it more when putting characters through all kinds of difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.