Status
Not open for further replies.

GiddyUpGo

WIP: Still choosing the right font
Registered
Reaction score
Website
travelbystove.blogspot.com
Okay, I am having some conflicts about conflict. As every novelist knows, conflict is what makes the story interesting. But in my story I need to show that the MC was once happy. I think it's really important for the reader to understand how happy she was, because that makes the events that happen in the current timeline much more tragic and interesting. But I am having a really hard time establishing happiness for her, because every scene I write in which she is happy is boring.

My story is written in two different timelines, one takes place during the MC's childhood and one during her adolescence. In the childhood story line, I need to establish how happy my MC was with her family. But as that timeline progresses I start to reveal that things weren't really as sunny as her childhood self remembered them. Those later scenes are easier, because they contain a lot of conflict. But what about the scenes where I show the reader that she was once happy? How do I do that without boring the hell out of everyone? Can you think of an example novel where this is done well?

Any suggestions welcome.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Even when you're at your most happy, there's still minor conflicts. Did that little happy dance I do make everyone in the room think I'm a dork? I totally have to win this fake joking argument we're having now? How am I going to pay for this awesome pizza my friends and I are sharing?

You can use the happy scene to set up some future conflict. Possibly something the audience can recognize will be important in the future, but in the timeline, the character thinks is just another thing in her day. If you do it right, that ups the tension in the scene, even though your POV character doesn't know it.

I assume there's a reason for the two timelines, some arc that the earlier timeline has that's more than just, "my past wasn't as sunny as i thought it was." Because it's possible that that's really all you need. Reminiscing in current timeline and then the holy-shit moments when she realizes the truth.

For past vs. present stories, maybe check out If I Stay.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
I'd say to look at what you're trying to convey when you put the 'happy childhood' on stage.

If you just want to say "She had a happy childhood'
you only need five words to do that.
It would indeed be boring to stretch five words of info into 5000 words of text.

If you are saying -- the surface of her childhood was bright and glossy. The underneath was slimy dark places full of spiders --
then that is 5000 words worth of interesting.

In short, tell a story that is not 'She had a happy childhood.'
Tell a more interesting story.

Show the spiders (quietly, non-explicitly, ambiguously, sneakily) from page one.

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's really important for the reader to understand how happy she was, because that makes the events that happen in the current timeline much more tragic and interesting. But I am having a really hard time establishing happiness for her, because every scene I write in which she is happy is boring.

If it were me, I'd write a scene that starkly and on-point contrasts with whatever it is in her later story that's making her so unhappy. Zero in on the exact cause of her current unhappiness, (I'm sure you have) and write a scene showing the opposite cause and effect. It doesn't have to be a Bull's eye. In fact, if it is, it could come off as manufactured, as an obvious ploy. So be a little creative about what you choose to illustrate this. Maybe let the reader work for it just a little, so that when they get it, it's kind an Aha! moment. Sorry if I'm not on-point, but that's what I've done in the past.

ETA: Happiness, or serenity, or bliss may be boring. But extreme joy or peaked excitement or rolling on the floor laughter is not. IMO.

Last edited:

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
If you're showing pure happiness, do it in as few words as possible. Evoke it rather than describe it. Show it using single lines, rather than paragraphs or scenes. Don't get in the reader's way of imagining happiness--and that means providing as little information about the happiness as you can so that you don't interfere with their own happy feelings, which they are willing to tack onto your story.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Something that might help-

Children pick up on a lot, but regularly discard things they don't understand right away, or at all. You're character's childhood self can still be happy while her family hints at terrible things that only an older reader is going to pick up on within her memories.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
But what about the scenes where I show the reader that she was once happy? How do I do that without boring the hell out of everyone? Can you think of an example novel where this is done well?

Make them very, very brief. Happy moments rather than entire happy scenes.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes when we say happy, we mean content. Happiness lasts a moment. Life goes on, but you can be content with where you are and still have all of those little conflicts and struggles you need to have to stay in that contented place. Both never last forever.

I'd use contrast too. Let her remember happy as what she lost.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Without knowing more details about the story, in terms of what happens when she's younger and what happens when she's in her teens it's hard to say. But maybe you could write the story as she's a teenager, then show snippets of her childhood through flashbacks, maybe as she remembers things that happened then, when she was happy, in contrast to whatever's happening now that's making her unhappy. Maybe she could be reflecting back, as a teenager, on the things you mentioned that she hadn't seen as a child but now understood.

This way you can keep the childhood memories short and sweet - think of them as snapshots rather than film sequences - and convey the happiness without being boring, and also show whatever events are important for the main story when she's older.

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
Happiness IS boring to everyone except the person experiencing it. It's not story. Story is conflict.

Evoke the comparison between then and now if you want, but do it in the now of the story, when it matters to a character's action or thought process. You can say, "the last time she sat on a swing set, she was five and her father was pushing her and laughing with her. No one was laughing at the corpse tangled up in this swingset's chains."

You don't have to SHOW everything that happened to a character. The story is about what the character is doing NOW to accomplish a certain goal NOW, which may be affected by the past, but not so much by the blow-by-blow details of what actually happened in the past, but by how she thinks of the past.

In other words, perhaps when she was five, she was swinging and happy, and her father is laughing along with her, and yada yada, stuff happened (too boring to come up with even as an example) and then her father said they had to go home and she threw a temper tantrum and he let her stay a bit longer, and they were laughing again and she knew she could always get whatever she wanted, and the grass was green and the sky was blue and thre was no rust on the swingset and her sneakers were shiny and didn't pinch. And so on.

But virtually none of those details affect her decisions right now. She probably doesn't even remember ninety percent of them. What she remembers is something like: the last time I saw a swingset, I was happy, and now that memory has been tarnished by a serial killer, so I'm going to get that sonovabitch that ruined my good memory. It's not that things are different in the two timeframes that matters (to the reader; it matters to the writer, and you might have had to write it out to really come to grips with it, but then cut it), or the details of the past; what matters is how her MEMORY of the event, the few details she actually remembers, AFFECTS her actions, decisions and thought processes NOW.

We really don't care about the backstory all that much. And, seriously, if the character is still dwelling on how her childhood was so perfect but now her life sucks, well, she's not a particularly interesting character. We've all experienced disappointments.

It's like the overused trope in romance (not picking on romance; there are overused tropes in all genres, but this is one I know particularly well) where the hero had a bad marriage/girlfriend, so he's never, ever, ever going to love again. Because, seriously, how juvenile is that? One woman was a jerk, so all women are jerks? No. And even when using that trope, relying on backstory to give a character a single motivating moment in the past, you wouldn't spend more than a few words on how much of a bad marriage/relationship he experienced, and you CERTAINLY wouldn't show it in all its gory detail. You'd have the hero acting misogynistically (or at least pessimistically "I'll never have a lasting relationship," he mopes or thinks stoically while resisting his attraction to the heroine), and eventually he'll confess to the heroine, "Yeah, well, my ex-wife tried to kill me in my sleep." It will be in dialogue, NOT in some extended scene that shows the ex trying to kill him. Because what matters isn't the details of how and when and where she tried to kill him and he escaped. What matters is that he's come to the realization that one bad woman doesn't equal all bad women, and the relationship has advanced to the point where he can tell the heroine his fears. It's not every little detail of what happened in the past that matters; it's what he's DOING about it in the story now.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You write happiness the same way you write sadness, or hate, or anger, or any other emotion.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I think, depending on ... everything, you could have a nice scene of happiness. As you point out, conflict and struggle is what stories are made of, but there are also other parts of the story to be developed, and if this is a novel, you can dig deeper into those parts. You've said that she had a largely happy childhood, but less happy than she remembers it. So, you'll show some of that dissonance, but I think something that shows the other truth - that there were genuinely happy times - has it's place. As with all things, it's all about how you pull it off. (I don't necessarily think you need only treat a happy episode briefly, but probably one dose of it will be enough.)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Think of sitcoms that feature happy families. They're still full of conflict, but the conflicts are minor and often cute. If your character grew up on "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and is now living through "The Walking Dead," you can show conflict in both timelines and the contrast will still be completely obvious.

If you want to make it doubly clear, just have the character think something along the lines of, "did I really used to think that was a big deal? I was so upset about Dad missing my ballet recital; now I just wish he would quit trying to eat my brains."

Last edited:

GiddyUpGo

WIP: Still choosing the right font
Registered
Reaction score
Website
travelbystove.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the helpful advice. Some really good tips and thoughts and I feel like I've got some ideas how to proceed now, so thanks to everyone.

I actually downloaded the ebook If I Stay, which Sage suggested and started reading it ... it's actually pretty much exactly the pacing I have in my novel, alternating between the two timelines. But it's funny, there's the happy timeline and then there's the post-accident timeline, and I personally find pretty much everything in the happy timeline to be painfully boring, and I have to keep telling myself not to skip ahead.

Now, that's a book that got published and even got made into a film, and frankly I can't tell how she got past an agent with all that boring stuff in there, but maybe I'm reacting differently than most people.

It was a very useful exercise to look at that book, though, because it did hit home to me that the last thing I want to do is write a bunch of boring, happy happy happy scenes, even though it worked for that particular author.

JRBrule

J.R Brule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jrbrule.blogspot.com
It would be interesting for me if the narrator comes to the realization that they're happier in the know than when they were young and unlearned: a bitter-sweet realization that life isn't perfect, it never was, but with a conscious understanding of its flaws, we can appreciate the beauty, no matter how fleeting it may seem.

(sometimes I don't actually answer questions . . . sorry!)

Status
Not open for further replies.