Problems starting the next chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If I had to get everything in place on the first pass, I'd never finish

Good that there's so many ways to write a novel, innit? Means there's bound to be a way for the OP that will work.

I find it a lot easier to get everything in order on the first pass than to try rearranging it later on.

It is a good thing there are so many ways to write a novel. I tend to believe that not all ways work for all writers, though, and half the battle seems to be finding the way that works best for you.

The problem is that a given writer may be able to write a complete novel with several methods, but not with equal quality. I've tried outlining a novel, and I finished it, but the thing was lousy. It isn't even fixable, at least by me. I don't even know where to start. It's one of the very, very few projects I've ever written that may never be submitted anywhere.

Rather than just going by anyone's advice, I tend to think most new writers should at least try whatever method their favorite writer uses, and see what happens. If nothing else, I think it's an excellent starting point.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I subscribe to the notion that there's ALWAYS a better idea, and a writer should ignore them all, except under the harshest of circumstances. Every idea seems better than the one we decided to use. This is just human nature.

What so I should use my crappy first idea even when one comes along that actually works much better/makes the book more awesome?
95% of my ideas come to me as I write. I'm not going to ignore them if they're good. I'm going to use them!

Caveat: not all new ideas are good

YMMV

It is a good thing there are so many ways to write a novel. I tend to believe that not all ways work for all writers, though, and half the battle seems to be finding the way that works best for you.

Indeed, and trying a bit of everything until you find what works for you/this book* is where we agree.

*What works for one book may not work for the next

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
What so I should use my crappy first idea even when one comes along that actually works much better/makes the book more awesome?
95% of my ideas come to me as I write. I'm not going to ignore them if they're good. I'm going to use them!

See...that's why I don't solidify my stories 'til the very last moment, so that I can take full advantage of wherever I may suddenly come-up with. Besides...I've always been a sucker for mystery. Even with what the hell is going to happen next in my own novels. It’s just, I suppose, a trick to keep the excitement level high.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Yep.

It all boils down to: every writer is different. Part of becoming a writer is figuring out which methods work/don't work for you. Part of becoming a better writer is figuring out which methods that work for you also work for your story :)

tl;dr: first find the ways forward, then pick the best of them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.