Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I'm ok with flashbacks...if they are adding to the story. Too often they're not necessary and not put in for the right reason. I think they need to contain some sort of essential detail that we wouldn't have been able to get another way.

Edited to add examples...examples from TV shows... whatever

So good flashbacks: Veronica Mars. They almost always added to the plot or characterization. Most often showing us a clue Veronica needed.

Bad flashbacks: well, I don't know if Dawson's Creek did flashbacks, but if they did, I bet they did them badly ;)

Last edited:

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Kewii!

Flashbacks are tricky. I think they're necessary. I just need to use 'em right. Refinement is necessary. Sigh. I don't think I'll ever be happy with my writing.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Flashbacks can add some meat to a story, but they can be unnecessary, too.

I dislike it when an entire book is set within a flashback and the characters set in the present time are only in the first and last chapter. Seems pointless to have them at all, but I see a lot of stories set up like that.

Wrote 0 words yesterday. :poke: Need to get cracking, today.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote 2k yesterday, working on some sentences now ;)

good luck!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii! Thanks for name-dropping Veronica Mars. You're awesome. Yes, you. Believe it or not, this old guy was inspired by that brilliant show.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
JK! Couldn't agree with you more. What's the point of having wrap-arounds if the better portion of the book is in the past?

Now, get crackin'!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
VERONICA MARS IS REAWESOMEDICULOUSLY AMAZING.

that is all.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Kewii and JK, Kansas. I don't mind a flashback if they add to the story and aren't just because you like writing flashbacks.

I've got some sprinkled in my ms at the beginning or end of a chapter, but they directly tie in with what's about to happen and kind foreshadow.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
justbishop:
a) Good luck on the three-word story & congratz on 27k words.
b) These 2 stories are completely different. This new one is paranormal and probably not YA so they target totally difference audiences. I also won't call the reincarnating girl committing suicide. It's murder by seduction (oh... oh this is a sexy term and makes a great book title.) You have an intriguing theme and plotline here. Good luck.

Kansas:
I partially agree with Kewii and the others. In theory flashbacks are necessary--every word in your story is supposed to be necessary. They are there because you're talking about back story and you believe you need a scene instead of summarized telling or hinting. I think it all boils down to execution: something relevant at the right time with the right load (length & details of flashback), as well as the transitions. Try SYW?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am rarely annoyed by flashbacks when reading, but they always seem bad to me when I'm writing one or critting. I don't know.

Passed 50K on A Paranormal Bromance. Still going :D

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
justbishop:
a) Good luck on the three-word story & congratz on 27k words.
b) These 2 stories are completely different. This new one is paranormal and probably not YA so they target totally difference audiences. I also won't call the reincarnating girl committing suicide. It's murder by seduction (oh... oh this is a sexy term and makes a great book title.) You have an intriguing theme and plotline here. Good luck.

Thanks Bing :D

Yeah, the two stories are very different. The new one is definitely YA, though (MC is 16, dealing with BFF issues and feelings for her childhood friend neighbor boy, as well as the whole ghostly love affair). I do hope that potential agents and publishers for it end up holding the same opinion that you do about the MC's past incarnations suicides not technically being suicides. I won't give away the direction the modern day MC chooses to go in, but I will say that she does NOT commit suicide, so maybe that will be my saving grace.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Sage!:D

Kansas, LOL. I am very very partial to flashbacks. BUT that's bc my entire novel was flashbacks ;) And lots of therapy. *whistles* loooots of therapy. So I am partial to the flashbacks but only if they add to the story. I hate it when they are pages long and could be summed up in a sentence!!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii! Thanks for name-dropping Veronica Mars. You're awesome. Yes, you. Believe it or not, this old guy was inspired by that brilliant show.

This is because Veronica Mars is awesome.

Whevever I have a problem, I just say to myself WWVMD and then I know that all I need to do is take names and kick ass.

And then the world is right again.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
So much good news :) well done guys!

I am sooo woefully behind on NaNo, but at the same time pleased because I just wanted to get some words down and I've got a lot more than I had in October...

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Rachel! Everyone's busy NaNoizing. It's quiet in here 'till they're done. So you're stuck with me.

Last edited:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all :)

My new baby nephew was born on Sunday. It's the first nephew that's been born since I married into the family :)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
*runs into thread screaming with joy*

I FINALLY finished my novel!! Now I have to chop about 10K and off it goes to my first round beta readers!

*runs out of thread, crashes into wall, decides to just lay there for about a week because my brain is fried*

ETA: *gets up for a moment to say CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BIRTH OF YOUR BABY NEPHEW KEWII*

*lays back down and dreams about turkey, mashed potatoes, butter nut squash, stuffing, cranberry sauce, apple pie, and all those other amazing Thanksgiving foods that make me drool*

2 more days 'til TURKEY DAY! Woot!

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Kewii. Give the mom a kiss for me, will you?

Congrats mellymel. I envy you. I need to work harder. Anyway, keep lying back and dream. And yes, you get to keep your turkey, but I'm going to have to quietly borrow the stuffing, cranberry sauce. and apple pie. Happyz turkeyz dayz.

I didn't do NaNo either. It takes me a year to write 30k words. I don't want to feed on Prozac for the rest of my life. But I've finally emptied my piggy bank and replaced my 20 yo Camry. At least got somethin' done.

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Auntie Kewii!

Way to go, Mel! What an awesome feeling that must be.

And now my mouth is watering thinking about all of my favorite Thanksgiving foods (stuffing, mashed potatos, stuffing, and oh yeah, stuffing). Tomorrow I have to bake an apple pie, chocolate chip cookies and make fudge. Oh, how I love this holiday!!

Bing, did you get another Camry? I love ours. We've had Ol' Reliable for 7 years now.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Kewii and Mel!

I'm actually not NaNoing today. I'm just super busy

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! :hugs: It does feel good. I really struggled for some reason with the last 1/4 of this thing. That doesn't usually happen.

Bing, no turkey?!? Ham?

Peri, I'm with you. My favoritist (<-- not a word but totally should be) food is stuffing. I could just eat a heaping plate of stuffing for thanksgiving and be very happy. For realz.

Status
Not open for further replies.